Big Phil
Ben W
waddayamean
howthewestwaswon
bayman
Admin
12 posters

Go down

Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium Empty Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium

Post by Admin Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium Glenelg_logo.gif_150x150 V Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium Bulldogs%20logo

Saturday 28 July
Gliderol Stadium

Reserves: 11:25am
League: 2:10pm

Broadcast: ABC1

Glenelg are coming off a fading loss to West, while Centrals were humiliated by Port by nearly 10 goals. Which side will bounce back and return to the winners circle.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium Empty Re: Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium

Post by bayman Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 pm

if ever Glenelg are going to beat Central it'll be this week, Central are obviously doing the heavy training program given their form (1 win from last three games) however i'm not sure Glenelg are mentally ready to beat a team like Central
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium Empty Re: Round 18: Glenelg v Centrals - Saturday 28 July @ Gliderol Stadium

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm going with Central here. They'd have to be fired up after last week's debacle, wouldn't they? Or has age caught up with them?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Ben W Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Glenelg, 8pts
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:08 pm

James's response would have certainly been tounge in cheek waddyamean.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:33 am

Central to bounce back by 20 points.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:52 am

Glenelg

F: Allen, Trembath, Kirkby
HF: Holmes, Kirk, Davenport
C: Tenace, Pitt, Kennedy
HB: Scharenberg, McGinty, Lally
B: Agnew, Rudolph, Mules

R: Button, Bradley, Lyons

Int: Gill, Earl, Milne, Curran

Out: Lynch, Hitchcock
In: McGinty, Kirkby, Earl

Centrals

F: Dutschke, Hardy, J. Gowans
HF: O'Sullivan, Templeton, Schiller
C: Habel, Williams, Jenner
HB: Sansbury, Hynes, Collier
B: Thomas, Sibenaler, Marschall

R: Hannath, Goodrem, Boyd

Int: Milne, O'Brien, O'Hara, Reichert, Waldhuter

In: Goodrem, Hynes, Milne, O'Brien
Out: Lawton, Vater
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by EyeOfTheTiger Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 am

waddayamean wrote:Saw this on the SANFL website and a few things caught my eye , yes some may have been tongue in cheek( but no one on eher will know for sure)

What do you dislike about Glenelg?
Their supporters, the Snouts Louts!

That is interesting but from a footballers point of view he is probably being serious there , you know what I mean if you have heard some or read some forums )

Does it make a difference playing Glenelg at their home?
It does. The fact that the ground’s a completely different shape to ours - it’s always tough with the home ground advantage.

Interesting one this one as the line is always its not the ground size( apparantly size does matter ? Laughing )

But looking at their recent record at the Bay this is all rubbish. The opposition support on Snout's Hill would give them a laugh and the oval size is just a challenge not any real threat to winning. Sad Other sides may struggle for those reasons but not the dogs.
EyeOfTheTiger
EyeOfTheTiger

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:25 am

EyeOfTheTiger wrote:But looking at their recent record at the Bay this is all rubbish. The opposition support on Snout's Hill would give them a laugh and the oval size is just a challenge not any real threat to winning.

Of course it is. Oval size, travel, etc, all the excuses that get dragged out for losing. The bottom line is, if a team is good enough, they will win anywhere, anytime. Game plans don't alter from oval to oval, and if you execute your game style effectively, you wil find plenty of space, even on the smallest of grounds.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:56 pm

FULL TIME @ GLIDEROL STADIUM

LEAGUE:

Final Scores

Central - 15.19 = 109

Glenelg -11.9 = 75

Bulldogs win by 34 points

GOAL KICKERS:

Central - J.Hardy 7, J.Gowans, L.Habel 2, J.Hannath, S.Dutschke, J.Boyd, T.Goodrem 1

Glenelg - R.Kirkby 6, C.Hitchcock 2, A.Bradley, T.Holmes, K.Tenace 1

FINAL STATS WINNERS: (Courtesy of Champion Data)

http://sanfl.championdata.com/matches/17171802/kmh_summary.html

RESERVES:

Final Scores

Glenelg - 22.18 = 150

Central - 12.7 = 79

Tigers win by 71 points

GOAL KICKERS:

Glenelg - J.Newton 5, T.O'Brien 4, J.Giddings 3, B.McIntyre, C.Curran 2, E.Gill, M.Snook, C.Diment, H.Gill, S.Snook, B.Murdoch 1

Central - M.Westhoff, J.Martin 3, C.Edmead, C.O'Sullivan 2, B.Rigney, M.Claughgton 1
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Nice to watch a good old-fashioned kick off between 2 key forwards Hardy (7 goals) and Kirkby (6 goals). Central just too settled on the day but I thought Glenelg fought it out well. Massie needs to do a bit of work on Glenelg's defence.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:53 pm

I've been loathe to criticise the Gowans brothers because for some unknown reason you're just not allowed to say anything derogatory towards them.

However, over the past month I've seen James Gowans giving away undisciplined frees and 25 metre penalties against Norwood, again against Port, and today I saw him get tangled up with a Glenelg player on the ground and must have wrenched his knee or something.

The Glenelg player did nothing wrong, it was simply two players getting tangled up in a tackle, but Gowans got up carrying on like a spoilt brat whose mother wouldn't let him have that chocolate bar in a supermarket.

Personally, I've had more than enough of the way this player conducts himself on the field, but obviously he's allowed to get away with it, otherwise the coach would have disciplined him a long time ago.

Like others, I've admired so much of what these guys have achieved on the field, but I just feel it's well past time something was done, they run around as if they own the damned league.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by StrayDog Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:33 am

waddayamean wrote:
What the majority of their fans forget is non Central fans acknowledge they have been good players . To me that is not the discussion.
Respectfully, I've been to the majority of games played over the last 30 years. I certainly don't consider myself an authority on "what the majority of fans forget".

I certainly acknowledge the proverbial bouquets as well as the brickbats thrown in the twins direction. Some of it, it may surprise some to know, from our "pedastool" weilding supporter base.

On Saturday, as I do at games regularly, I did a walk around the ground to say "hi" to a few people, some of whom are seasoned internet posters, from both sides (finally got to meet another one at Glenelg, but I digress.)

Honestly, there are times when, if any new follower of the club were relying purely on the taunts and audible "banter" of opposition supporters, they could be forgiven for thinking these blokes were the only ones playing for us.

Personally, I couldn't care less what opposition fans think of them.

That they - as well as all else that pull on the guernsey - continue to pull their weight and contribute to the on-going success of the Central District Football Club, in whatever role they play. To me, ultimately, that is the discussion.

Play on.

StrayDog

My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:54 am

Good post, StrayDog. As an opposition supporter, I can see the argument from both sides (I think). I think the other posters are correct in a lot of what they say and I think it's also fair to say that all of it is part of their game approach. It's what keeps them going - niggle, arguing, in-your-face aggro. It's their oxygen to an extent and it has contributed to their undoubted success.

They generally know how to keep it within what the umpires will allow, but I think it's fair to say the umpires often give them much more latitude than the average player. What would be a 25m penalty for arguing for most, is a "oh, it's just the Gowans" for them.

Their name keeps bobbing up at the Tribunal, probably more often as the 'victim' as the reported. People can draw their own conclusions from that.

They've rightfully had a lot of praise, so as a long-suffering opposition supporter I'm not remotely upset that there's a thread highlighting the opposite.

From a Central's point of view, you've summed it up nicely, though Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:36 am

waddayamean wrote:I think your point is valid concerning the abuse they get but maybe their actions are bringing it on .

Exactly right. In this world, you reap what you sew, and if you spend the afternoon running around trying to upset people, you can't turn around and complain when you cop something back.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Getting back to the game at hand...

It was a real Jekyll and Hyde performance from Centrals yesterday. Their best (first and third quarters) was pretty much unstoppable, and their worst (last quarter) was absolutely deplorable. The second quarter was some of the ugliest football I've seen - both sides were very ordinary, evidenced by the fact that up until the last couple of minutes of the quarter (when Centrals kicked two late goals) both sides bad only scored one goal.

Was also quite an undisciplined performance by both sides, with both side guilty of giving away silly off the ball frees.

In the end, it was one of those games you watch it once then burn it, never to see it again. Centrals got the win, but gee it was ugly.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum