+3
Southee
C.K
Big Phil
7 posters

Go down

Vale Bob Hank Empty Vale Bob Hank

Post by Big Phil Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 am

News from the Eagles this morning that sadly Bob Hank has passed away...

RIP and condolonces to the Hank family...

Eagles Member Email wrote:It is with great sadness that the Woodville-West Torrens Football Club advises that Life Governor and Australian Football Hall of Fame member Bob Hank passed away this morning after a short illness.

Bob was a much revered figure in our Club’s history, being a 2 time premiership player, an 9 times best and fairest winner and 2 time Magarey Medallist.

Chairman Kurt Slaven said “Bob Hank’s on field record is immense but those that were lucky enough to know him will agree that he was a champion bloke. The Woodville West Torrens Football Club and the football community have lost a true legend. His ability to engage with persons from all walks of life was Bob’s charm and way in bringing people together. He will be sadly missed by all.”

“Today is a very sad day for the Woodville-West Torrens Football Club and the code of Australian Rules Football.”

Our thoughts are with Bob’s wife Audrey and the entire Hank family at this time.

The Club will advise Funeral details once confirmed.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Vale Bob Hank Empty Re: Vale Bob Hank

Post by C.K Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:33 am

A very sad day for South Australian football in general.

Mr Hank was one of the true gentlemen of football and a very sharp analytical mind even in his later years. I had the pleasure of sitting next to him at a Eagles home match lunch last year and his stories, recollections and analysis of modern football was an absolute pleasure to hear.

Very deepest sympathies to Mrs Audrey Hank and his family at this time.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:02 am

Very sad news .

My father being a big west torrens supporter used to tell me all the wonderful stories about Bob and as a kid I listened thinking I would have loved to see him play.

Thoughts go out to his family. A true legend of the game .
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am

SANFL Press Release

BOB HANK 1923-2012

The SANFL today pays tribute to South Australian football legend Bob Hank, who passed away early this morning. He was 88 years old.

A dual Magarey Medallist and two-time All Australian, Bob was a member of both the South Australian Football Hall of Fame and the Australian Football Hall of Fame.

He played 224 games for West Torrens from 1944 to 1958, captained the club for nine seasons and was a two-time premiership player.

He took on State duties a remarkable 29 times, serving as Captain of South Australia on seven occasions.

Son Barry Hank made the following statement on behalf of the Hank family:

“Dad has lived a fantastic full life and has been greatly loved and admired by his family and people from all walks of life for his sporting prowess and his magnetic personality,” he said.

“He will be forever remembered and never forgotten as a champion sportsman in football, cricket and golf and a true gentleman in life.”

SANFL Executive Commissioner Leigh Whicker said Bob was a doyen of the game.
“First and foremost, Bob was a true gentleman. He was also one of the finest footballers South Australia has ever produced,” Mr Whicker said.
“He was a passionate advocate of the game and was thoroughly respected by all, teammates and opponents alike.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to Audrey and the Hank family.”

A memorial service will be held at AAMI Stadium next Thursday (June 21) at 2pm.
Bob is survived by his wife Audrey, four children, eight grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.

R.W. (BOB) HANK - June 19, 1923-June 14, 2012
PLAYING RECORD:
• 224 games and 61 goals for West Torrens 1944 - 1958
• Captain of West Torrens, 1947 - 1955

PREMIERSHIPS:
• Member of premiership teams for West Torrens, 1945 and captain in 1953

MATCHES FOR SOUTH AUSTRALIA: 29
• Captain of South Australia, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954
• NAFL Carnivals 1947, 1950, 1953

ACHIEVEMENTS:
• Dual Magarey Medallist 1946, 1947
• Nine time best and fairest for West Torrens, 1945 - 1950, 1952, 1953, 1957
• All Australian 1950, 1953
• Player life member of the SANFL
• Player life member of West Torrens
• Member of the AFL Hall of Fame

COACHING RECORD:
• Coach of West Torrens 1951

For more information, contact:

Melanie Reid
Communications Manager
South Australian National Football League
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Bob's nephew is a very good friend of mine, I was asking about Bob's welfare at the footy on Satuday and he said he wasn't travelling too well, but he wouldn't have expected this so soon.

Very sad news indeed.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:54 pm

One of the best in his era playing for West Torrens, a true champion who my father also seen play many times and has told me on numerous occasions he was the best player he ever saw. RIP. Vale Bob Hank 1840193976
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:15 pm

My cricket club had its centenary in 2005. While researching the club's history, it was discovered that Bob Hank (and his brother Ray), had played for us for a few years. We contacted Bob and he was happy to attend the Centenary Dinner, along with Ray.

It was my privilege to talk about some of our club's history and as part of that, I interviewed Bob. Needless to say, I kept the questions very short and just let Bob talk about his cricket with us and his football career.

I thought that would be that, but Bob attended a couple more of our normal functions and I had the chance to get to know him a bit more.

At the same time, we discovered that an Owen Martin had played with us for some time, with great distinction, in the 1930's. We found Owen and he also attended the dinner, sitting with Bob Hank, where he was presented with Life Membership.

Owen was a very good footballer with North Adelaide and again I was privileged to visit him and his wife at their home and have a look at his 'scrapbook'.

Back to Bob Hank. All I can say is that everyone describes him as 'a true gentleman".

He was.

A lovely man.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:58 pm

The Eagles have advised when and where for Bob Hank's Memorial Service...

An email from the Eagles wrote:The Woodville-West Torrens Football Club advises its Commercial Partners and Members that the Memorial Service for Bob Hank will be held tomorrow, Thursday the 21st of June, in the Magarey Room, AAMI Stadium at 2pm.

The Magarey Room can be accessed from the western, West Lakes Shopping Centre side of the Stadium, with entry available to the right of the Checkside Tavern entrance.

A wake will follow the Memorial back at Oval Avenue, Woodville South downstairs in the Eagles Clubrooms.

For those of you that would like to leave a tribute to Audrey and the Hank family, you can do so via email - marketing@wwtfc.com.au
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:38 pm

RIP Bob

with Bobs permission there was a pacer named Bobby Hank that raced a few seasons ago & while it wasn't a champion like his namesake it was a very smart horse
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down