C.K
Adelaide Hawk
howthewestwaswon
Admin
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Sturt to relocate? - Page 2 Empty Re: Sturt to relocate?

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:26 am

So Benson created this story just to get more people to games?

Just like Port created a scare story to gain more members and unite with the Power?

What did Kris Grant come up with exactly?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Centrals Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:55 pm

I went with a couple of mates (and one of my kids to make it look legit!) to the antique toy fair a couple of weeks ago at the Wayville Showgrounds.

I must confess, we had a look at the Showgrounds oval while we were there and commented that Sturt should move there.

It's a great oval with plenty of room and I like the idea of the SANFL holding games there for the first time since 1939. According to my records, Sturt racked up 14 games at the Showgrounds.

But, ultimately, the destiny of the Sturt footy club needs to be determined by Sturt people.
Captain Centrals
Captain Centrals

Teams : Centrals, Rangers, Villa
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Millsy wrote:
howthewestwaswon wrote:So Benson created this story just to get more people to games?

Just like Port created a scare story to gain more members and unite with the Power?

What did Kris Grant come up with exactly?

Something about a dinner being cancelled. If sturt were broke why did they pay $25k to the bays in transfer fees.

I am not really sure what Millsy is trying to convey here.

However, I can say with 100% certainty that the article in the Messenger mis-quoted Matt Benson.
On purpose? Who knows, but the train of similar articles are making me very sceptical as to their intentions.
Benson went to great lengths to set the record straight in other medial outlets the very next day.

There is no sinister agenda here.

The Club is working with the Council to put a lease agreement together that secures our tenure at Unley for a long time yet.

Any other slant that has us somewhere else, is pure unadulterated bollocks.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Sturt are not asking for anyone to feel sorry for them.

Just getting the media and others that comment on this to get the basic facts straight would be nice.

A basic understanding of the Sturt debt structure and oval lease conditions wouldn't go astray either.

This thread is about relocation of Sturt to somewhere else. Not about recruiting, which in the larger perspective of the club's debt is about as much as a packet of smarties.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Yes, this whole topic is based on a misconception, once the Sturt CEO had his say.

Their financial position is still a worry, though.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:18 pm

redandblack wrote:Their financial position is still a worry, though.

As it is for most clubs these days.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:01 pm

redandblack wrote:Yes, this whole topic is based on a misconception, once the Sturt CEO had his say.

Their financial position is still a worry, though.

They are not alone in that department R&B
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:33 pm

In a nutshell it really comes down to the extent of the debt and servicing it.
The club is working on a "debt demolition" campaign similar to what Melbourne and to a lesser extent Richmond have embarked upon.

We haven't hear the specifics of it yet, but I believe it is not too far away.

I have read that 5 clubs are also looking at some joint investment type cash pooling. I believe Sturt are one of them. Don't know much about that, but this sort of thing at least looks beyond the traditional revenue streams, the main one being pokies.

So I think the principle of it seems a good thing.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 pm

That's intersting, Chambo.

If it's so, I hope West are one of the clubs, as our finances aren't wonderful either.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:39 pm

It was revealed on the ABC Radio today that many pubs around town are facing a further 1k a month on the electricity bill - does seem to suggest that finding other fundraising ideas outside of poker machines might be a good idea!
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Ben W wrote:It was revealed on the ABC Radio today that many pubs around town are facing a further 1k a month on the electricity bill - does seem to suggest that finding other fundraising ideas outside of poker machines might be a good idea!

Gee I really feel for them, they make millions from the poker machines, show me a pub that hasn't been refurbished to the tune of many hundreds of thousands of dollars over the past few years.

They charge like wounded bulls for food and drinks these days, I have no sympathy for them. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Yes, 12 grand extra a year isn't going to break too many of them.

They'll find a way to slug the customers for that.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Back in the news again, http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/debt-laden-sturt-to-share-its-headquarters/story-e6frea83-1226427159000
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 am

Looks like Sturt playing a couple of night games at Coopers Stadium is on the agenda once again, and with Coopers looking to accomodate West End products at the ground for Sturt's matches, it's looking like it's a real possibility this time.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/double-blues-aim-to-play-two-sanfl-home-games-at-coopers-stadium/story-e6frea6u-1226487070330

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 am

The Parade has always had West End Available on Tap, not very hard to simply make that the only one available and switch the Coopers brand off, although I think many punters feel that is one of the bonuses of actually going to the Parade that they can get a decent beer there!
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 am

waddayamean wrote:This Hudson bloke is very anti sturt and a trouble maker quite frankly. Very short sighted the council and so is Hudson. Tine for the council to support their local footy club as other councils do.

If anyone is interested in what this out-of-touch councillor has to say, you can read his "Grumpy in Unley" blog.
The Unley Council meeting minutes are also littered with his anti-Sturt jibing.
He puts all sorts of irrelevant queries to Council staff to follow up - a waste of their time.
He is seemingly in the minority on Council, but does exploit Council deliberations to his further his crusade against the club.
I really don't know why he wants Sturt gone. Would bring a hell of a lot less dollars through local businesses in the area.

The Council are generally supportive of the Footy Club and the dialogue with them is productive.

Hudson has missed the whole argument once again and exploited the club looking at night fixtures as leaving Unley once again.
In point of fact we never left. We have played home games at Adelaide Oval and that is all.

I was told it would actually cost us less to play home games at Norwood than at Unley. We were only looking at night games which are quite profitable. This is partly the issue - it is expensive to put up temporary fences and all the other things like sponsors banners, scoreboards etc.

The club and Council are in discussion over current leasing arrangements that are now due. A range of options are being looked at, from short term leases to long, depending on moving the overall master plan for the Unley Oval precinct forward. And that master plan includes the Sturt Footy Club. The club DO NOT WANT TO MOVE FROM UNLEY.

Debate on other grounds or locations in terms of a permanent move are not on the agenda.
This would only come about if talks and the relationship with Council fell over completely.
And there is no indication of that over the last 2 to 3 years.

Mr Hudson's wish to play these negotiations out in the media does nothing to help Council or the Club.
I just wish both Mr Hudson and the local paper would present the matter in perspective rather than a bent agenda or some inflammatory angle to sell papers.

Hopefully, the local vote on Mr Hudson's flavour of doing business at the next Council election.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 pm

If Sturt play "home" games at the Parade I will very much enjoy going along as a neutral supporter. Great venue and atmosphere and very popular for Friday night footy at the start of the season. Market it properly and a gate of over 8000 is not out of the question. Good luck to them!
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm

It must be pointed out that I think we are only talking about 2 home games on a Friday Night at the Parade.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2