Length of the SANFL Season.

4 posters

Go down

Length of the SANFL Season.  Empty Length of the SANFL Season.

Post by Ben W Sun May 27, 2012 9:44 pm

With the recent discussion on AFL Reserves teams and so on, this is an issue that I would like to bring to the forefront for some discussion.

After Spelly was so good as to supply me with the data, - see the History Forum, its interesting to see how the SANFL season has been increased and stretched out, largely I believe to pacify the needs of the AFC and PAFC to have their players playing in the SANFL whilst the AFL season is continuing.

The AFL being 18 sides still don't play each other twice, SANFL teams play each other 2 and 1/2 times on average per season. Currently the season is 20 Rounds, 3 Bye Rounds then the finals series.

What I am not convinced of is how it serves the needs and the interests of the SANFL to have effectivley a 28 round season including the finals?

I gather that the SAAFL and others start after the SANFL season and finish before the end of the season.

One wonders if the SANFL's own interests might be better served by shortening the SANFL season to a number that best suits us rather than the AFL? 9 SANFL sides, play each other the twice then have the finals series, start at the same time, take advantage of the warmer weather to have the SANFL night footy bring in the season then have the SANFL Grand Final prior to the AFL finals series. SANFL Players then are not asked to train at a time longer than the AFL season and the clubs themselves don't have to pay out for putting on as many home matches. One would think that a shortened season would save significant $$$ for the SANFL clubs which if true would be a good thing for several of our clubs that are struggling.

Perhaps at one stage I thought there was some merit in having the SANFL Grand Final on the weekend after the AFL Grand Final, yet it seems that in any event it always gets stuff all publicity anyway, with often post AFL Grand Final discussions going over it and trade talk speculation being the order of the day on the media with the SANFL being a second mention to it all. Then there is the fact that it has to be on a Sunday in case the AFL final is a draw.

As for what the S.A AFL clubs do with their players who really cares. Organize trials against one another I suspect!

Feel free to agree, disagree or whatever, please feel welcome to leave your comments on the idea though!
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Length of the SANFL Season.  Empty Re: Length of the SANFL Season.

Post by CB10 Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 pm

Really like your article Ben W it makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.
Clubs are finding it so much harder these days to survive and a shortened season has some real advantages.
All your points are spot on especially finishing our season before the AFL finals.
Our finals would be up against their home and away games. If we can't generate interest in this period we are in real trouble.

"As for what the S.A AFL clubs do with their players who really cares. Organize trials against one another I suspect!"
100% agree!

Lastly though not length of season.... play final games up to the qualifying final on the home ground of the team that finished higher on the ladder.
Pre-sell tickets a few days before with club members getting preference a day before anyone else.
If it ever became a sell out then it may encourage a couple of hundred more people to become members so they don't miss out next time.
If demand exceed supply just once or twice in a final series on a smaller ground then maybe people might act next time. A large crowd in a smaller venue creates atmosphere.
We just need one administrator to hold his nerve and see if it could happen in the SANFL one year.
The loss of a few supporters on the day could perhaps help all clubs the next year . If promoted,highlighted and packaged properly this might sell memberships in future years.

Well done Ben.
CB10
CB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Can't argue with you Ben W, agree with everything you've said. I think playing each other twice, then finals is plenty.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed May 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Great post BenW! Hard to disagree when I've had similar thoughts.

If clubs are struggling, why not shorten the season? I know in the Super 15 Rugby, the format has been for years that you only play each team once and then finals.

The SANFL could easily be a more exciting comp if teams were to play each other twice. There would be no room for slow starts in a season and there would be no distinct advantage to some teams when there isn't for others.

As for the finals series, I believe that perhaps a neutral suburban ground is the best option, or whoever finishes higher gets a home final. Not to mention, it should be a Top 4.

A lot of talking points here, but some that could help the SANFL comp as a whole.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down