bayman
C.K
8 posters

Go down

Movie Reviews Empty Movie Reviews

Post by C.K Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:36 pm

A thread where posters can post their reviews of the latest at the flicks:

American Reunion

For fans of the “American Pie” franchise, this one may have been long awaited. If you’ve never seen any of the movies before, it’s much better to start with the original and work your way forward before watching this one. If nothing else, the background knowledge will be vital for understanding many of the references in this one. If you are completely cold on the series, nothing in this will change your mind at all.

The plot is captured in the title. Over ten years after they graduate from high school, its time for the High School Reunion, which seems more popular in the United States than has become here. The first 20 minutes or so of the film are spent locating all of the main players, giving background on what they have been doing in this time and setting up their direction for the next 80 minutes or so. Jim and Michelle are now parents, with Jim’s mum passing away three years prior to this movie; Oz is now a respected sports broadcaster, focussing on NFL, dating a supermodel; Finch has been to parts unknown (which becomes clearer late in the movie); Kevin is married and adjusting to life where his main activity is catching up on reality shows that his wife records so they watch them together. Stifler is a temp at an investment banking firm, but from the word go, we see little has changed with him in his outlook on life and his approach to any situation he faces – fans of the originals will already be nodding here.

It’s not Shakespeare or Martin Scorsese, but neither is it meant to be. Some situations, old fans will see coming a mile off and be ready for them, but will still give plenty of laughs. The session I saw was packed to the rafters and most of the theatre was the same as me – laughing loudly throughout with some scenes fantastic. I don’t want to give away too many parts of it, but let’s just say that Stifler’s Mom, Jim’s Dad and Finch’s Mom (newly introduced) aren’t just there for walk-on roles. Stay for the credits for one of the most memorable scenes of the movie involving the first two of that trilogy. In fact, Jim’s Dad (whose Christian name we finally find out after all these years) nearly steals the show as he is a guest at Stifler’s inevitable party, in his first real outing since the death of his wife.

Some of the characters are stronger than others. Much of the film, predictably, revolves around Jim and Michelle and their difficulties in maintaining their, er, intimacy as they adjust to parenting, although Michelle takes largely a back seat throughout. Finch is, well, Finch in his sardonic, world weary ways, but does steal some of the better lines. Stifler, as is always the case, is big on presence and screen time, but something just lacks a little with him this time. The character is almost a slight parody of his original parody, if that makes sense, but that is also part of the charm.

Some of the scenes are very reminiscent of the original and the ideas not dissimilar, but don't just dismiss it as being rehashed. We know what to expect with this franchise and it mostly delivers. It's clear that some characters have grown up more than others, but like any reunion, there are always plenty of surprises along the way.

Well worth a look for fans of a slice of pie, who should enjoy most of it throughout. The door is left slightly ajar at the end for another future reunion, but the time has come to put the pie away now.

RATING: 3 ½ stars

C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Movie Reviews Empty Re: Movie Reviews

Post by bayman Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:57 pm

i've never been able to eat apple pie since watching the first 'flick' of these films
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:36 pm

Went to see it in Gold Class with Mrs Southee for my birthday on Saturday.

Heard a few negative reviews but seriously this was never going to be a Academy award picture!! Take it as it is.

If you want a light hearted laugh, dont have to think to much, relaxed and fun film...go and see it. I had a few good chuckles.

Its funny as I actually related to the main couple in the film. (Jim and his wife) Maybe having something to do with us having a 17 month old !! CK will know what Im talking about!! It actually had a pretty good message in the film I thought....Smile

Loved Jim's Dad....sort of stole the film from the others!!!

Light hearted fun with some good belly laughs and a film that never takes it to seriously!!!

I'll go with you CK....3 and a half stars out of 5 Wink
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:17 pm

Excellent review guys i enjoyed it when i saw it the other day. On the the other hand looking forward to the movie called TED comming out soon
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Interested to know if anyone has seen Titanic in 3D?

I am a Titanic tragic, lol, and have seen the original film way too many times - am curious how it turned out in 3D - if good I might need to drop some mother's day hints Very Happy
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Saw American Pie Reunion yesterday and agree with all sentiments above.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by MightyEagles Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:15 pm

A Mum wrote:Interested to know if anyone has seen Titanic in 3D?

I am a Titanic tragic, lol, and have seen the original film way too many times - am curious how it turned out in 3D - if good I might need to drop some mother's day hints Very Happy

Don't know as I will not see it again at movies, plus just like one of the main stars, I can't stand the song.
MightyEagles
MightyEagles

Teams : Eagles
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:55 pm

A Mum wrote:Interested to know if anyone has seen Titanic in 3D?

i'd presume the boat sank Very Happy Wink

as for the original film, surely you don't mean the 1912 (or whatever it was) movie ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:56 pm

LOL Bayman - no I don't mean the 1912 one !! Laughing
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:33 pm

Just got back from Kath and Kimdarella.

A hilariously fantastic film (or is that filum). It is non-stop laughs for the 80-odd minutes of the movie. A lot of TV shows that become movies get lambasted for being just an extended episode - Kath and Kimdarella is not one of these. It is a nice, different, unusual fairytale with several hilarious parallel storylines - the main one being Prue and Trude which all converge in the grand finale.

All-up, go and see it. You'll have a great laugh throughout the movie.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down