The 2021 Coaching Merry-Go-Round! Hop on board!

+18
goddy11
merrick1
whybother
Flag No.10
Chambo Off To Work We Go
blueandwhite
Scrappy
rocket_rooster
Gingernuts
bayman
waddayamean
Scrunch
UncleHuey
Lee
southern bulldog
Big Phil
eartotheground
Brucetiki
22 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The 2021 Coaching Merry-Go-Round! Hop on board! Empty The 2021 Coaching Merry-Go-Round! Hop on board!

Post by Brucetiki Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:10 pm

The first senior coaching change for 2017 has been announced with Norwood announcing that they will be replacing Ben Warren.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3682/

Last edited by Brucetiki on Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

The 2021 Coaching Merry-Go-Round! Hop on board! Empty Re: The 2021 Coaching Merry-Go-Round! Hop on board!

Post by Lee Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Interesting statement.

It seems Ben wants to coach one way, the Board want something else, if my interpretation is correct.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The 2021 Coaching Merry-Go-Round! Hop on board! Empty Re: The 2021 Coaching Merry-Go-Round! Hop on board!

Post by eartotheground Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:58 pm

At least one well known current SANFL name sounded out, as well as at least one active AFL name.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Jarrod Cotton a chance?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Lee wrote:Interesting statement.

It seems Ben wants to coach one way, the Board want something else, if my interpretation is correct.

That's the way I took it also
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:44 pm

Well done Benny
Eventually the amount of player outs outweighing the played ins and took its toll during his coaching tenure

Outstanding effort to be a Premiership coach in his first year at the helm
Outstanding because he lost about a dozen players form the Bassett era
He was given a remnant of a star team, and still managed to win a Premiership , that to me is one of the best coaching efforts Ive seen at the club

This year was below par , injuries took its toll
One flag in 3 years , take that any day, from any coach considering all the circumstances

Last edited by Scrappy on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Brucetiki you mentioned first coaching change for 2017 who else are you expecting,Carr,Cornes&Mattner in their first year.Gotch has a year to go,would think West would stick with Mickan,Lokan already signed Godden wont be going anywhere only leaves Younie & Lairdy.
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:08 pm

Scrappy wrote:Well done Benny
Eventually the amount of player outs outweighing the played ins and took its toll during his coaching tenure

Outstanding effort to be a Premiership coach in his first year at the helm
Outstanding because he lost about a dozen players form the Bassett era
He was given a remnant of a threepeat star team, and still managed to win a Premiership , that to me is one of the best coaching efforts Ive seen at the club

This year was below par , injuries took its toll
One flag in 3 years , take that any day, from any coach considering all the circumstances

Poor recruiting took its toll this year. Norwood in their premiership run seemed to follow the Sydney Swans "no D*ckheads" policy.

Did they do their due diligence regarding some of their recruits this year?
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:22 pm

INS AND OUTS PRE-SEASON 2014
Ben Warrens debut season
Might be other ins and outs perhaps
But here is a list

INS
ALLAN
BARTLETT
CLARKE
FORSTER

OUTS
AISH
DUMONT
FANTASIA
FULLER
GEORGIOU
GRIGG
PFEIFFER
STEVENSON
SUCKLING
THOMAS
WARREN [a big loss]
ZORZI

An incredible amount of talent to lose for a first year coach
My expectations were , if they made the finals , then Ben would get a pass mark
To win a flag with that exodus of players was quite incredible

To put things in perspective, West Adelaide lost a lot of talent from the team of 2015 , and then won 2 games in 2016
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:50 pm

All SANFL clubs lost their AFL aligned players, still big losses no question and it was an amazing success that year. An incredible run with injury and other clubs falling over to open up a top 3 birth also played their part, but I don't think Ben's effort and those of his predecessor to have such a well drilled unit can ever be questioned. But thereafter, the wheels fell off in a horrendous way so I can understand the clubs concern. The style of football played in the last season and a half was poor and eventually uncompetitive on too frequent an occasion. With the competition in dire straits I'm not sure the club could have continued dropping so dramatically in membership and attendance. Not that a new coach is any guarantee to remedy that. Sad day for the club to lose such a champion but I'm not sure they had much choice.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:08 pm

I've said it before I think Ben Warren is a good coach, to get a team to beat 21 listed players & Steven Summerton is a tremendous effort...... fast forward to today whether the decision is right or not time will tell but I'll say this & speaking from experience at the bay & that is as soon as a board interferes with the football side of things, it then quickly turns downhill at a rapid rate of knots....... my other thought is they must have someone ready to announce
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:26 am

They don't have someone ready to announce. Your point about board interference is a good one, although I'm not sure how much that would be the case in this instance, as Bens position was reviewed externally.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:45 am

bayman wrote:I've said it before I think Ben Warren is a good coach, to get a team to beat 21 listed players & Steven Summerton is a tremendous effort...... fast forward to today whether the decision is right or not time will tell but I'll say this & speaking from experience at the bay & that is as soon as a board interferes with the football side of things, it then quickly turns downhill at a rapid rate of knots....... my other thought is they must have someone ready to announce

It was 20 listed AFL players. Nathan Krakouer wasn't an AFL listed player in 2014. Actually I thought Summerton and Krakouer were Port's two best players in that Grand Final. I have always thought that having to play all the AFL listed players that day cost Port. There were about 4 AFL players in the Port side who weren't up to SANFL league standard and that was the main reason Port lost.

Similarly Adelaide had a couple of AFL listed players who are "project" players and are not up to SANFL league standard at this stage.

Last edited by rocket_rooster on Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:50 am

rocket_rooster wrote:
bayman wrote:I've said it before I think Ben Warren is a good coach, to get a team to beat 21 listed players & Steven Summerton is a tremendous effort...... fast forward to today whether the decision is right or not time will tell but I'll say this & speaking from experience at the bay & that is as soon as a board interferes with the football side of things, it then quickly turns downhill at a rapid rate of knots....... my other thought is they must have someone ready to announce

It was 20 listed AFL players. Nathan Krakouer wasn't an AFL listed player in 2014. Actually I thought Summerton and Krakouer were Port's two best players in that Grand Final. Actually I have always thought that having to play all the AFL plisted players that day cost Port. There were about 4 AFL players in the Port side who weren't up to SANFL league standard and that was the main reason Port lost.

Similarly Adelaide had a couple of AFL listed players who are "project" players and are not up to SANFL league standard at this stage.

I think Bruggeman was the one that could have hurt Norwood. The type of big physical player that Baulderstone often struggled against.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:51 am

Scrunch wrote:They don't have someone ready to announce. Your point about board interference is a good one, although I'm not sure how much that would be the case in this instance, as Bens position was reviewed externally.

That's interesting, Scrunch.

Once a coach is reviewed externally, I think they're toast. It's an interesting question as to whether these decisions should be made by the Board or externally reporting to the Board.

The announcement suggested there was a difference of opinion about direction.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:11 am

Lee wrote:
Scrunch wrote:They don't have someone ready to announce. Your point about board interference is a good one, although I'm not sure how much that would be the case in this instance, as Bens position was reviewed externally.

That's interesting, Scrunch.

Once a coach is reviewed externally, I think they're toast.  It's an interesting question as to whether these decisions should be made by the Board or externally reporting to the Board.

The announcement suggested there was a difference of opinion about direction.

The decision would still be made by the board, but they would no doubt be influenced by the recommendation(s) of the wiser football heads they have deferred to.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 am

Fair enough.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:24 pm

rocket_rooster wrote:

It was 20 listed AFL players. Nathan Krakouer wasn't an AFL listed player in 2014. Actually I thought Summerton and Krakouer were Port's two best players in that Grand Final. I have always thought that having to play all the AFL listed players that day cost Port. There were about 4 AFL players in the Port side who weren't up to SANFL league standard and that was the main reason Port lost.

Was just a typing error (21 instead of 20) but do you really have to be that pedantic?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Garry Hocking was being spruiked from what I've heard but I'm not sure if he is that good a coach. Had several years in WA without achieving much, albeit with a very poor Peel Thunder side.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:41 pm

you would think by now people would know not to listen to Jarman, as I would imagine that's where this rumour started. Nothing in it.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:19 pm

UncleHuey wrote:Garry Hocking was being spruiked from what I've heard but I'm not sure if he is that good a coach. Had several years in WA without achieving much, albeit with a very poor Peel Thunder side.

Whether its him or not, i agree with you UH, i don't think he (Hocking) can coach, anyone including me could have coached that Power reserves team he had as the cattle in it was first class
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by rocket_rooster Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:58 pm

bayman wrote:
rocket_rooster wrote:

Was just a typing error (21 instead of 20) but do you really have to be that pedantic?

I have heard it repeated that Summerton was the only non AFL listed Port player in 2014. That is patently untrue. Krakouer was previously an AFL player and became one again so it is important that point is clarified.

And as someone else pointed out Port had some very ordinary AFL listed players who wouldn't have made their best side. I think that was the main reason Norwood were able to win.

If that is being pedantic so be it.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Time will tell regarding externally but historically (especially at the bay) as soon as soon as "outside interference" occurs clubs go downhill quickly, as I said time will tell.....could Ben Warren go to another club as an assistant coach ? Perhaps a home coming to Noarlunga!! Bit early I know & time will tell with that too
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:39 am

Big Phil wrote:Jarrod Cotton a chance?

WOODS
BAHR
PLUNKETT
MILLHOUSE
PACKHAM
HUTTON
LEAHY
WHITE
SCOTT
WADHAM
LILL
ACKLAND
JOHNSON
SEXTON
WOODROOFE
ARTHUR
HARDIMAN
SMITH
MCCALLUM
OATEY.J
BUNTON
KILLIGREW
OLDS
OATEY.R
HAMMOND
BALME
RHODE
ROBERTS
MACCA
LEWIS
HILL
cotton
BASSETT
WARREN

If Jarrod Cotton is appointed ,I will assume that he becomes the only man to coach the Norwood football club twice in 2 stints since 1909
That is unless there were other other interim or fill in coaches since 1909 that have done the same

Jarrod Cotton coached out the 2009 season when he replaced Trevor Hill
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next