Scrunch
cutterman
Thiele
firstblood
bayman
Ben W
10 posters

Go down

SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.  Empty SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.

Post by Ben W Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:03 pm

I was not aware that the SANFL are again looking into the number of interchange players that SANFL clubs have available to them during a match, clearly though it is on the table for discussion again.  

Via SAFC Coach Brad Gotch,

Gotchy'S BLOG #13
There’s been a little bit of debate recently about the number of interchange players in the SANFL. A couple of clubs have been outspoken on it and we have clearly had examples where we have been both positively and negatively impacted.

We were hampered by losing players early and for the full game against Glenelg, Eagles and Sturt, but perhaps benefitted from our opposition in Norwood and North Adelaide suffering a similar fate. You hope it’s not viewed as one of those things that evens out over a season.

I know the SANFL is keen to receive feedback from SANFL clubs on players lost in games due to injury. The solution will be subject of much debate as there appears uncertainty on what the best outcome for SANFL football is. It’s certainly good the discussion is being had and our club is still forming its position and will provide feedback to the SANFL.

http://www.safc.com.au/gotchysblog
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.  Empty Re: SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.

Post by bayman Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:59 pm

just to move in line with the AFL & is this when we become aflsa ?

so we put another player on the bench, which i would think means the salary cap will have to rise

every team has built history & traditions on teams winning when ''down to 16 men'' or was it Buff Tyrell ? ''who played with a broken collarbone to help Woodville to a victory'' & plenty of other wins for every team

by 2021 we might do a VFA & have no wings to open up the game but have 8 on the bench

just leave the bloody game ALONE, THEY RUIN IT ENOUGH AS IT IS
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.  Empty Re: SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.

Post by firstblood Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:14 am

bayman wrote:just to move in line with the AFL & is this when we become aflsa ?

so we put another player on the bench, which i would think means the salary cap  will have to rise

every team has built history & traditions on teams winning when ''down to 16 men'' or was it Buff Tyrell ? ''who played with a broken collarbone to help Woodville to a victory'' & plenty of other wins for every team

by 2021 we might do a VFA & have no wings to open up the game but have 8 on the bench

Well said Bayman.

SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.  1672671459 SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.  1672671459 SANFL to revisit interchange numbers.  1672671459
firstblood
firstblood

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:23 pm

bayman wrote:just to move in line with the AFL & is this when we become aflsa ?

so we put another player on the bench, which i would think means the salary cap  will have to rise

Well said
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by cutterman Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:41 pm

I read an article on the AFL website that mentioned they were thinking about capping the number of games upcoming draftees could play for their clubs. They cited that quite a few were getting soft tissue injuries before being drafted. Not that we see much of our U18 players now what with touring France and bloody Ireland but expect to see less games from them soon.
cutterman
cutterman

Teams : Sturt
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:03 pm

When this eventually comes in, I don't think it will be to fall in line with AFL standard (from a SANFL perspective), but moreso that coaches always want what they think can be of benefit to them.

I know Ben Warren is a strong supporter and Ive heard him speak on the matter - His main reasoning was that "for all the comittment - Which is a LOT - that a SANFL player has to put in, it would be good to reward another player with senior selection each week". Not exact words but close.

Im not sure I necessarily believe it's a good idea - Do we up it to 4 and as soon as a team loses 4 players to injury will they be wanting 5 and/or or subs? Does it further reduce the standard of a competition that has already been on the decline for a few years? What impact on the Salary Cap when most clubs are already feeling the pinch financially?

Whichever way it runs, be it 1,2,3 or 4 on the bench, before a ball is bounced each club faces the same chance of players getting injured (unless they're taking injured players into a game, in which case their practices need to be questioned). However the clubs that are able to assemble a deeper squad probably get a small advantage via shifting from 21 to 22.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:58 pm

The Under 18's have had4 interchange for some years, I think.

I don't think these changes to SANFL laws are driven by the AFL.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:22 pm

i never said ''driven by the AFL'' i said ''just to move in line with the AFL''  Wink 
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:02 pm

More Interchanges
= More likely that each individual player will be rested from game time
= Best players are rested more often
= Lessening of standard

I'm more concerned with the rotations
Should be capped at 25 per game to cover injuries
Having 100 + interchanges per game = a tactic
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I agree with limiting the number of interchanges, Scrappy.

I also think it will happen.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:51 pm

Go back to 2 on the bench uncapped!
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:36 pm

Don't know what rule changes there will be for next year but I will bet my right one there will be changes.
For some reason, I have never been able to be smart enough to work out why this great game of ours has to have changes to the rules every year.

No other sport on the planet has so many changes to the rules from year to year as does Aussie Rules  No 
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum