+5
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Aerie
countrycousin
IAmTheWarrior
Big Phil
9 posters

Go down

Media articles that are SANFL related Empty Media articles that are SANFL related

Post by Big Phil Wed May 07, 2014 8:13 pm

Interesting article from Kym Morgan at The Advertiser...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/sanfl-should-benefit-from-crows-and-power-adelaide-oval-cash-boost-writes-kym-morgan/story-fnii00l5-1226907702043

I think it is very well written by Kym and would be great if it came into fruition...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Media articles that are SANFL related Empty Re: Media articles that are SANFL related

Post by IAmTheWarrior Wed May 07, 2014 9:04 pm

Agreed Big Phil- thanks for sharing. There are some very big match payments in a few suburban and country leagues over here so there are very recently retired afl players having a big influence in minor leagues. You'd think there's be some prestige in playing in the sanfl so if the $$ were increased there would be quite a few willing to move.
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Media articles that are SANFL related Empty Re: Media articles that are SANFL related

Post by countrycousin Wed May 07, 2014 10:16 pm

It's well written, I'll grant you that Phil and superficially persuasive. But, call me a cynic if you like, it's pie in the sky nonsense as far as I'm concerned. Do we really want to see the SANFL flooded with mercenary hacks from Victoria, who come for the money, after they've run their race in the AFL. Stay for a couple of years, then move on to better pickings somewhere else? I don't. Most SANFL clubs and all country clubs I know of, stay alive on the backs of volunteers and mum and dad members. The exorbitant match payments, in the country, to a few ex SANFL players, are invariably funded by local business people hoping to gain kudos and publicity, by buying a flag for the local club. The proper role for SANFL and country cubs, in my opinion, is to support the development of juniors and enable the best local players to compete at the highest level they're capable of. If that makes me old fashioned and out of touch, then so be it.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie Wed May 07, 2014 10:44 pm

countrycousin wrote:It's well written, I'll grant you that Phil and superficially persuasive. But, call me a cynic if you like, it's pie in the sky nonsense as far as I'm concerned. Do we really want to see the SANFL flooded with mercenary hacks from Victoria, who come for the money, after they've run their race in the AFL. Stay for a couple of years, then move on to better pickings somewhere else? I don't. Most SANFL clubs and all country clubs I know of, stay alive on the backs of volunteers and mum and dad members. The exorbitant match payments, in the country, to a few ex SANFL players, are invariably funded by local business people hoping to gain kudos and publicity, by buying a flag for the local club. The proper role for SANFL and country cubs, in my opinion, is to support the development of juniors and enable the best local players to compete at the highest level they're capable of. If that makes me old fashioned and out of touch, then so be it.

There have been quite a few pretty good "mercenary hacks" over the past decade or so. Sheedy, Clayton, Parry, McKenzie, Powell, Jarrad, Gowans, Bello, Chambers, Alleway, Allen, Backwell, Liddle, Cross etc.

The idea floated in the article would be fantastic, but I'd be very surprised if it happened.
Aerie
Aerie

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu May 08, 2014 10:13 am

Sheedy and Chambo stayed 10 years and came before they were "hacks".
Similar with all the others too. I doubt you could ever call them hacks and they all gave good service to the sanfl. No question there.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu May 08, 2014 12:16 pm

I think the point Aerie is trying to make is that there are plenty of footballers fall out of the AFL system at a young enough age to forge lengthy careers here in the best footballing years of their lives.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 am

just on the media, hearing all the games on a weekend shows the levels of quality of the callers pretty well. friday night and yesterday arvo on rph was great, rph ramping it up this year.
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 am

The Hatchet wrote:just on the media, hearing all the games on a weekend shows the levels of quality of the callers pretty well. friday night and yesterday arvo on rph was great, rph ramping it up this year.
Yes, agreed Hatchet...

I know that RPH are getting some really good feedback from supporters with fans contacting the station, praising Management as to how much they are enjoying the coverage, while their Social Media sites are getting some very positive comments...

I might be biased, being a part of the coverage yesterday on the boundary, but I thought the team of myself, Chris Kendall, Don Cooper and Grant Coffee presented a great package of SANFL footy to the audience...

Last edited by Big Phil on Mon May 19, 2014 9:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 am

Especially with Big Phil being constantly distracted by someone who doesn't rate Unley Oval as his favourite ground  Wink 

Good to see CK tipping the Bloods, too.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Mon May 19, 2014 11:17 am

Great article from Warren Partland in today's paper...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/quit-the-charade-magpies-are-dead-writes-warren-partland/story-fnii05e5-1226922482960

Warren Partland wrote:
Quit the charade, Magpies are dead...

THE Port Adelaide Magpies are in name only and are not the true Magpies.

Port Adelaide and the SANFL can voice their disapproval as much as they want but the charade is already over after just eight rounds.

They ceased to be the Magpies when they were given a licence to include Eagles, Roosters, Bulldogs and Tigers in the side.

Paul Stewart is a Woodville-West Torrens product, last year Cameron Hitchcock was in the Glenelg jumper and Sam Colquhoun learned his football at Central District. State league clubs are now playing against players they developed who signed with the Power for the AFL.

The Power, just like the Crows, wanted teams in the state league so they could keep their players together. Any club with a second side calls it their reserves under the same label.

The Crows didn’t come up with the Galahs or Pigeons for their second side. They stuck with the Crows and while they prefer the team be tagged its state league side, it is still acknowledged as their reserves.

So why is the Power reserves called the Magpies, especially when products of other state league programs are involved? And don’t they want to be known as the one club?

The difference between the Crows and Power reserves is the more favourable conditions offered to Port Adelaide, which was allowed to retain key personnel from last year’s Magpies outfit.

Next year, Port Adelaide will lose its zones and under age teams. However, the damage is already being done on the evidence of the past six weeks.

The Power reserves have won their past six games by a combined 423 points at an average of more than 70. Their past two wins were by 50 and 60 points against Sturt and South Adelaide respectively. Those two teams sat second on the ladder underneath the Power reserves going into those battles.

The Power reserves have also beaten the Eagles by 58 points. It is the Eagles’ only loss.

When the Crows were given the green light to field a team in the state league and Port Adelaide was allowed to keep its reserves at Alberton and not spread throughout the competition, there were plenty of nerves of an AFL team domination.

Already clubs are relying on Power injuries to bring it back to the pack.

No doubt if the Power reserves win the grand final the club will claim it as an extension of the Magpies’ proud history. Yeah, right.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon May 19, 2014 11:30 am

Love or hate Port, it's pretty hard to argue with that.

Good work, Warren.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon May 19, 2014 7:55 pm

Yep that about sums it up really.

I wonder at this stage if you ran a poll on whether your interest in the sanfl is the same, less, or more, whether the consensus would be toward the latter.

The argument of hoping injuries to Port's AFL side, or sanfl side for that matter, will bring them back to the pack, doesn't wash with me.

The damage is already done. Why should the comp have to rely on that for evenness?
And if the opposite happens and injuries puts them in a hole, or players withdrawn for other motives, then the same applies in reverse.

I'll stop there before I get jumped on.

Warren's article seems to be the first of "Port too strong" discussions.
Won't be the last I think.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Mon May 19, 2014 9:55 pm

I thought Warren 's article was spot on and truthful.

Black and White supporters will think it's sour grapes by the other clubs but facts are facts.

I have a feeling the structures will be revisited at seasons end with major tinkering being applied.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down