did you know that the 1948 premiership player

4 posters

Go down

did you know that the 1948 premiership player Empty did you know that the 1948 premiership player

Post by bayman Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:05 am

Lionel Blackmore of Norwood is the grandfather of former St. Kilda antagonist Steven Baker

i found this out at Norwood on Thursday night, i thought it was intriguing bit of information
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

did you know that the 1948 premiership player Empty Re: did you know that the 1948 premiership player

Post by robranisgod Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:10 pm

Without trying to be smart I thought that it was common Knowledge. I have often discussed this with Scrappy and even more often with his brother, Scrappy with a silent "S".

Lionel Blackmore actually played in all 3 of Norwood's post was premierships and was vice captain in the 3rd of the premierships in 1950.

He was the centreman in the famous centre line of Olds, Blackmore and Gallagher, one of the most famous centre lines ever to play in the SANFL.

One thing that has always puzzled me is that every old timer I have spoken to says that Lionel Blackmore was renowned as Bob Hank's toughest opponent, but the Norwood website states that Sam Gallagher was Hank's nemesis. Every paper of the day I have researched also mentions Blackmore's record on Hank, so I wonder where Norwood got their information from. Blackmore stood Bob Hank in Norwood's 1948 premiership win over Torrens.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

did you know that the 1948 premiership player Empty Re: did you know that the 1948 premiership player

Post by Scrunch Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:12 pm

I knew Lionel but must admit to not knowing this piece of information
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Can't really say for certain, but I recall Bob Hank himself once rated Sam Gallagher as his toughest opponent, I guess he must have played on both over time. I know Gallagher missed a lot of footy through injury.

That aside, Blackmore was certainly a great of the club, and for a period of time was Chairman of Selectors at Norwood.

Gallagher, Blackmore, Olds .... certainly would have be one of the great centre lines in SANFL history.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Can't really say for certain, but I recall Bob Hank himself once rated Sam Gallagher as his toughest opponent, I guess he must have played on both over time. I know Gallagher missed a lot of footy through injury.

That aside, Blackmore was certainly a great of the club, and for a period of time was Chairman of Selectors at Norwood.

Gallagher, Blackmore, Olds .... certainly would have be one of the great centre lines in SANFL history.

I knew Bob Hank and he always said that Lionel Blackmore was his hardest opponent. I never once heard him say tht Gallagher was his toughest opponent. i think that you are remembering what is on the Norwood website and I think someone innocently misquoted Bob Hank.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:22 pm

I heard him say it. I asked him.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I heard him say it. I asked him.

Fair enough. I certainly don't doubt you.

I am just confused even more then, because as I said I use to go to Bob's market garden and I reckon I head him say at least 6 times that Blackmore was his hardest opponent and I was surprised when I first read the Norwood website.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down