Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players

+6
Chambo Off To Work We Go
oldfella
bayman
howthewestwaswon
Lee
Paul
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players Empty Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players

Post by Paul Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Full Story

Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players

At a hastily called media conference this afternoon, Bombers chairman David Evans said the club has received information about supplements given to players over the past 48 hours.

They would not reveal where the information came from.

Essendon say they have contacted AFL integrity officer Brett Clothier and Australian Sports and Drug Authority as a result.

"The integrity at the club is critical, and that's why we've moved quickly to contact the AFL," Evans said.

"Of course this is a very distressing time for our club, we believe as a club we have done everything right to be compliant with the AFL and ASADA.

BELOW: See a snapshot of the Bombers' 2012 season

"We have moved quickly to call the AFL and ASADA to seek a clean bill of health.

"The info we gathered over the last 24 or 48 hours is slightly concerning, and we want to dig a bit deeper but we want the AFL to help us.

"We believe we have acted in a sensible and proper way.

Bombers coach James Hird said he was disappointed with the situation.

"I'm shocked to be sitting here," he said.

"As a coach I take full responsibility for what happens in our footy department.

"It's my belief we've done everything right."

Essendon has confirmed to the Herald Sun that it sacked its sports science guru Stephen Dank late last year amid concerns about his conduct with players.

It has emerged Dank was the major casualty from Essendon's calamitous 2012 season which saw the cub slip from second to 10th on the AFL ladder in 11 weeks.

The Herald Sun can reveal Dank raised the ire of the club chiefs over his performance.

Essendon will hold a press conference at AFL House at 2.45pm AEDT.

A former Essendon player told Channel 9 that the club knew it was pushing the boundaries with its program.

"From what they were saying, it was right on the borderline of what they were going to give us," he said.

"Everyone signed it, it was a personal choice as to whether they took it.

" ... it does seem very odd the type of stuff we were taking.

"They admitted to us it was right on the edge of the levels you could be taking."

Additional reporting by Mark Robinson and Mick Warner

ESSENDON’S 2012 IN A SNAPSHOT

- Bombers soared to an 8-1 win-loss record and were second on the table heading into June. Their premiership odds were crunched as Jobe Watson, Brent Stanton and Dustin Fletcher led the charge.

- The Dons’ opening nine weeks came despite a spate of early-season injuries and included a stunning 30-point win against Carlton, which was the current flag favourite.

- A shock loss to straggler Melbourne in Round 10 lit the fuse for Essendon’s dramatic demise in the second half of the season. The Dons were the first side to lose to the Dees under Mark Neeld.

- Dons chairman David Evans forced to publicly defend high performance manager Dean Robinson (“The Weapon”) for the injury curse. Essendon’s soft-tissue epidemic claimed about a dozen stars, including Michael Hurley, David Zaharakis, Brent Stanton, Paddy Ryder, David Hille and Stewie Crameri.

- Essendon petered out to finish with an 11-11 record, dropping 10 of the final 13 matches to finish 11th on the ladder.

- The Dons recorded embarrassing losses to Richmond (45 points) and Carlton (96) in the final month of the season.

- Jobe Watson became the first player since Shane Crawford in 1999 to win the Brownlow medal from a non-finalist team, polling 30 votes.

- Essendon sacks sports science guru Stephen Dank in the fallout from their wretched collapse last season.

- Football manager Paul Hamilton reportedly walked out in September, with Danny Corcoran taking charge at Windy Hill.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players Empty Re: Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players

Post by Lee Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:27 pm

You've got to love those sports scientists.

There's a long way between theory and practice.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players Empty Re: Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Sports scientists have made players as soft as their tissue injuries...
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm

why would Dustin Fletcher 'need help' ? he's been playing for 106 years
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:16 pm

bayman wrote:why would Dustin Fletcher 'need help' ? he's been playing for 106 years

Now that comment I love lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:48 am

I am apalled by the statements made by Mr Demetriou calling for James Hird to consider standing down and his public commenting casting aspersions upon Essendon's conduct in regard to the investigation that is taking place.

Hird has not even provided his own submission or evidence to the investigation as yet.

I don't really care whether they will be found guilty or not guitly of drug related breaches or the more murky bringing the game into disrepute.
And that one can mean anything to Mr Demetriou. Maybe even if he doesn't like the colour of your tie.

The terms of natural justice demand that judgement through the media just should not occur.

It is like half way through a murder trial, the Judge saying to the newspapers, "things are going badly for the defendent".

Irrespective of what is proved, I hope Essendon sue the AFL CEO for his derogatory comments that are possibly prejudicial to the investigation.

It cuts two ways Mr Demetriou. It is called a fair and impartial legal system.
Given all of this inappropriate commentary, perhaps Mr Demetriou should consider standing down.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:49 am

I loved watching Sam Newman give it to the media on The Footy Show last Thursday night. Everyone associated with Essendon apparently is guilty until proven innocent.

Have a look below, in case you missed it:
http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/sam-newman-fires-up-over-hird-media-coverage/
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:59 am

Thanks for that HTWWW - I'd heard about it and not seen it till now.

And well said Chambo.

A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:02 am

Bloody hell! Just read more of this morning's paper.
I seem to be echoing both Graham Cornes and Rebecca Wilson's sentiments.
That is a worry in itself! Very Happy
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:26 pm

i presume Stephen Danks' favourite cartoon growing up was Roger Ramjet
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:40 am

It going to be a bit embarrassing for not only Essendon, but the AFL if they find their stellar Brownlow Medallist guilty of taking banned substances.

How is Mr Demetriou going to arrogantly bluff us all through that one?

Irrespective of outcomes (rights or wrongs), Mr Demetriou has presided over the operations of a group of organisations where this has been allowed this to occur (allegedly).

What is it that sticks? Essendon facing AFL and ASADA investigation over its supplements given to players 1344700888
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:13 pm

Wow that Essendon / Dean Robinson TV story was pretty full on.

Cameron Ling summed it all up though at the end.

Will be glad when the findings come out and hopefully the truth.
Not this he said she said stuff.

But I have to wonder - will the truth actually fully ever come out?
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm

AFL have released more details of the charges today:

[url=http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-releases-essendon-charges-20130821-2saot.html[/url]

Essendon look to be in deeeeeeeeeeeeeep trouble. They have come out swinging though and it looks like they won't go down without a fight - it wouldn't surprise me if this one heads for the courts. I can't see how they are going to get out of this one though.

Do yourself a favour and have a read of the letter from the club doctor to Hird back in 2011 expressing his concern over the drugs program, it is disturbing.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:47 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I am apalled by the statements made by Mr Demetriou calling for James Hird to consider standing down and his public commenting casting aspersions upon Essendon's conduct in regard to the investigation that is taking place.

Hird has not even provided his own submission or evidence to the investigation as yet.

I don't really care whether they will be found guilty or not guitly of drug related breaches or the more murky bringing the game into disrepute.
And that one can mean anything to Mr Demetriou. Maybe even if he doesn't like the colour of your tie.

The terms of natural justice demand that judgement through the media just should not occur.

It is like half way through a murder trial, the Judge saying to the newspapers, "things are going badly for the defendent".

Irrespective of what is proved, I hope Essendon sue the AFL CEO for his derogatory comments that are possibly prejudicial to the investigation.

It cuts two ways Mr Demetriou. It is called a fair and impartial legal system.
Given all of this inappropriate commentary, perhaps Mr Demetriou should consider standing down.
Hmmm.........

Is the prophecy ringing true. Just heard on a newsbreak that Hird may intend to sue the AFL over being denied natural justice.

And he is bloody right, guilty or not.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:23 am

On the Footy Show last night they played audio of a mother of an unnamed Essendon player calling into MMM, was heart wrenching stuff.

Some ashened faced club presidents getting around yesterday as well, even Brayshaw was pretty abrupt with Sam who was trying to discredit the AFL's actions.

I am hopeful that perhaps this might be a 'Waterloo' moment for the game and it might make some administrators stop and realise that it's not all about money and success at all costs.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:15 am

I think there are two issues here and that the AFL is trying to muddy the waters by bringing them together.

1 A fair hearing

The terms of natural justice (not sure what Hird's interpretation of that is) demand that the prosecutor (afl commission) cannot hear and ajudicate the case and determine a penalty. That hasn't stopped them doing it before, but that is what natural justice means. This is why Hird isn't happy.

The second part to this, is that the AFL is not even content by being, prosecutor, judge and jury, they want to do it all outside the courtroom in the street.

They are then influencing the court of public opinion through the media and now other clubs. A briefing of Presidents is fine, but if they have coerced a statement of support of the AFL and its methods from them, that is unacceptable - particularly by making it so public as well.

If this were a legal trial, a mis-trial would be a monty. And yet the AFL uses the same principles such as charge, hearing, ajudication, penalty. Is their an appeal process however?

2 What has actually transpired?

Will we ever know what exactly transpired?
If ASADA cannot determine enough evidence to charge players, at least for now, will it be possible to categorically find Essendon guilty (presuming a fair trial) of issuing banned substances?

And now to Hird and friends.
You don't need to be Einstein to see that his position (and protestations of innocence) are being lessened by all the media happenings on a daily basis.

It is obvious that he has superintended over something of very grave significance and something that his best judgement should have steered away from, particularly given the recent cycling debacle and other world doping scandals.

He is guilty of extreme naivety at best.

But given how all of this is playing out, I think the AFL have his card marked, especially by suggesting to him all those months ago to stand aside. I am now sitting in judgement Embarassed, but I cannot see him being at the helm of Essendon next season. The AFL will want a hanging, and the once squeaky clean James is in their sights. Their case is obviously at least damning enough against him to be doing all of this so publically and even before these charges were laid.

However, if the AFL case is so overwhelming, this very nebulous charge of 'bringing the game into disrepute' is just too easy in my view. Demetriou charges people with that if they wear a bad tie. Very Happy 
This is especially when Essendon are not in control of the media frenzy that the AFL has brought about. They have had no opportunity to mitigate that charge with the way the AFL has gone about it.

Surely the AFL could and should be able to find them guilty of something quite specific.

Viz: Not providing a fit and proper duty of care to their employees.
IE: A Workplace Health and Safety route if you like.

The whole thing has been a complete Dog's breakfast from start to finish whilst all these people scramble for position atop the 'holier than thou' soapbox. The AFL is genuinely bad at ordering events correctly with appropriate process and especially when it wants to do these things so publically.

But the real loser, isn't the public who probably couldn't really care much about the reputation of the AFL. The game does a fine job of bringing itself into disrepute in my opinion.

The biggest losers here are the players and their families who are treated by both sides as lemmings.

The only possible good out of this would be if systems are put in place for these sorts of biological experiments never to be repeated.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:22 pm

So a fair hearing is effectively not going to happen. So it appears the afl have beaten Essendon into submission and we're going to go striaght to a penalty.

&*^% me dead with a feather!

Is there any integrity anywhere at all close to the afl?

If Demetriou thinks this sort of judicial system is a winner for the integrity of the afl and has 17 Presidents bluffed into agreeing with him, then god help sport in this country.

Given this BS and the Crows sanfl inclusion issue, frankly this football seasn can't come to an end soon enough.

I couldn't give a sh!t about it much at the moment and only venting now.

Next season, I reckon I will find a new sport that shows some semblance of integrity and that might be hard it find in this day and age. It could be saafl where my lad plays, it could even be netball or tiddly winks for all I know.

But I can't handle the bozos running top end football. They can get stuffed.

I am very upset with all of this and furthermore just can't accept the people who think it is just business as usual.

If you can really compartmentalise all of the parts to these issues, you would see that football will never be the same and it seems the people who make the decisions have covertly admitted that.

However, who says the sanfl has to stay the same? I support people who stay true to the tradition. If that means a lesser sanfl, so be it. However, the clubs don't seem to accept that.

Integrity is a cheap word to some.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:10 pm

i think i heard this on the radio just then, Hird got 12 months, Thompson a $30,000.00 fine & Corcoran 4 months

all players left alone & all trophy's stay where they are

i'm sure someone will find a link Wink 
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Barely a slap on the wrist IMO
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:32 pm

brodlach wrote:Barely a slap on the wrist IMO

absolutely spot on, i'll bet that if it was a non Victorian team, the penalties would have been a lot lot more severe, then again it is the VFL under a different name
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:40 pm

the other thing was that they were relegated to 9th...surely i heard that incorrectly ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:48 pm

Nope that's what they said.

I expected them to cop more. Very lucky IMO.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 pm

So what wins do they finish on for the season if they are relegated to 9th

Does this affect head to head records against all other clubs ??????
Should we be tampering with historical artifact ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:10 pm

bayman wrote:i think i heard this on the radio just then, Hird got 12 months, Thompson a $30,000.00 fine & Corcoran 4 months

all players left alone & all trophy's stay where they are

i'm sure someone will find a link Wink 
Actually the above is right except;
- Essendon get a $2M fine
- lose 1st and 2nd round draft picks for 2013 and 2014 (can still trade for picks)
- Corcoran was 6 months (2 months deferred for 2 years)
- Demetriou did specifically say that the ASADA investigation is still open and if evidence presents that the players have taken banned substances, then they may still be subject to sanctions.
- Reid is contesting the charges against him and his hearing is on Thursday.
- Players are still eligible for awards like Brownlow, Rising Star etc.
- Essendon finish officially 9th.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Still trying to understand how they lost their first two round picks in 2014 and then given a late first round pick. What's the point in giving it back to them?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next