+4
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Lee
Scrappy
bayman
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

T20 Big Bash games, thoughts & discussion  - Page 3 Empty Re: T20 Big Bash games, thoughts & discussion

Post by bayman Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Scrappy wrote:Brisbane Heat are arguably the best team in the Comp

even though they looked like trying to lose with their fielding tonight in the semi, Brisbane are the first team into the Grand Final, well done Scrappy & only one win away from the title
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

T20 Big Bash games, thoughts & discussion  - Page 3 Empty Re: T20 Big Bash games, thoughts & discussion

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:34 pm

The Renegades would be pretty disappointed, but I saw the Heat first hand last weekend and they were very impressive all-round. They should win the final pretty comfortably IMO. Particularly with Pomersbasch in the line-up. How come he hasn't deserved a call-up to the Aussie ODI team??
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:18 am

bayman wrote:

even though they looked like trying to lose with their fielding tonight in the semi, Brisbane are the first team into the Grand Final, well done Scrappy & only one win away from the title

I like the batting game plan of Brisbane Heat when batting first
Most of the time , most of the batsman are batting with intent
They are trying and looking to hit boundaries most of the time

Too often sides are 2/25 off 4 overs, and then try and re establish the score line
They push for singles , try and score a run a ball , and preserve wickets
Those teams end up with scores of 120-140 , and lose too often

The Brisbane Heat attitude is, no point making 120-140 and losing nearly every game
They continue to attack , and if they make 150-180 they will win more than half the games with that total
From 2/25 they may only get 150 + one in 3 games, but they are a chance to win then

How many times have we seen Sydney Thunder at 2/25 off 4 overs
Then they prod , push, try to establish the innings and are 90 runs with 4 overs left
Batsman who batted with accountability and make 20 off 25 balls , actually cost them the game
Whats needed is some one to virtually close their eyes and swing like hell
That might mean 0 off 1 ball, but if they make 20 off 12 balls , the team can make 150 +

All teams get to face 120 balls
How often do these teams get bowled out in 120 balls, very rarely
So all teams should bat with more intent rather than periods of accountability

All the above scenarios are for teams who bat first
Batting second is different, targets are known, game plans are clearer

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:21 pm

i agree with that & you just have to look at Hobarts score last week of 3/150 surely 8/175 is a lot better
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:50 am

Watching Brad Hodge facing Nathan Coulter Nile must be kind of akin to watching Sir Donald Bradman facing HHHHHHHHarry Larwood

Ala Bradman, Hodgey was backing away to square leg and was trying to smash Nile through the offside at times

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:33 am

i don't like the rain shortened games, it gives the chasing side too much of an advantage
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 am

bayman wrote:i don't like the rain shortened games, it gives the chasing side too much of an advantage

I agree. Surely, there is enough time for both teams to play out their full 20 overs, regardless of the weather. scratch
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm a fan of the Duckworth-Lewis system. I didn't see last night's game, but in chasing, I believe Marsh played an absolute blinder and even so, it came down to the last ball. Indeed, if it wasn't a no-ball, Perth would have lost, so you can't get any closer than that.

Would anyone say Perth wouldn't have made 200 if they'd had 20 overs?

I agree it was an advantage to Perth to shorten the overs, but it's impossible to think of a better system given the circumstances.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:01 pm

r&b, the better system is to play the full 20 overs, the advantage is it is easier to go at 10 an over for 13 overs than for 20 overs,(130 off 13 overs is easier to do than 200 off 20 overs) having said that Marsh was great, to me the contest was set for 20 overs & that's what it should be, to save or catch up time cut 'half time' back to a bare minimum....while in Footy we know half time constitutes a match but hypothetically if West were 4 goals down in a grand final at 3/4 time but coming home with a ten goal breeze would you be happy to lose a grand final in that situation ? i say play the game out to its full completion even if you have to come back the next day
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:31 pm

I agree about playing a game out for the full overs, bayman, but in situations where that is not possible. the DL system is hard to better.

I don't think the football analogy stands up compared with a shortened cricket match, though.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:59 am

bayman wrote:

Brisbane Heat 5/167
Perth Scorchers 9/133[all 9 wickets caught]

Best side in the comp win the title !

BBL had another successful season
Big crowds the norm
A new breed of young cricket spectators evolving
I reckon its $72 for adults and $18 for children for a seasons membership to watch the Adelaide Strikers , good value
The 3 hour match, competition format is succeeding in the short term
Makes for good viewing from my couch as well

All this despite a bit of a talent drain in year 2
Injuries, lack of depth, perhaps the quality depth per team eroded by having 2 Melbourne and Sydney teams
No doubt a few of the old chums have increased the popularity
I for one am happy to watch Warney, Hoggy , Stewie last year , bowling their spin
Those 3 guys are still prob the best spinners in the country !

The detractors
These guys are usually from an older generation
The ones who love Test Cricket and Shield Cricket, to them ultimate cricket
I like longer forms of cricket , but getting old farts like me to the cricket is harder
No one is replacing us , go to a SS game there are 500 of us watching the games
This new T20 cricket may not please all, but its pleasing the ACB as a new generation of spectators are swelling up the attendances
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3