Southee
Lee
C.K
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The SANFL Grand Final Dilemma Empty The SANFL Grand Final Dilemma

Post by C.K Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 am

I've thought long and hard about whether to write this, but have decided ultimately to post it. Feel free to post your thoughts, opinions, feedback.

Sunday should be the premier day on the 2012 SANFL Calendar. A Grand Final between two of the top teams of the season, both aiming to break premiership droughts of 15 years (Norwood) and 29 years (West). The day when the SANFL is showcased on the national stage for interstate audiences to see and soak up the best of the league for 2012.

Scuttlebutt, however, suggests that the attendance may be one of the lowest since 2004, when just over 24,000 witnessed the biggest grand final margin in history, with Central demolishing the Eagles by 125 points. Perceptions that the two teams play a similar brand of defensively oriented football that is not usually conjusive to high scoring, free flowing football, has suggested that some of the entertainment value may be lost, and neutral fans may be reluctant to attend. Many of the non Norwood and West fans I know that would normally attend the game have already stated they will not attend this year, with cost ($30) seen as a major factor.

West Adelaide coach Andrew Collins stated in the Grand Final press conference on Tuesday that the SANFL should open up the gates and “celebrate the game” by offering free entry to all fans for the day, and capitalise on being the last game played in Australia for the season. Norwood coach Nathan Bassett countered by noting that fans will gain entry to three games on the day – Under 18’s, Reserves and League, and that being “our (SANFL) showcase event…we’ll get a good turnout”.

Let’s make one thing clear immediately. The SANFL is hamstrung by how far they can go to make entry much more palatable to neutral fans. Reintroducing the Kick and Catch at half time of each game in the finals series has been a fantastic initiative to bring younger fans through the gates. Free parking for the first three weeks was also a major boost to the family budget pocket to reduce the costs, so the league has done plenty to try and keep people coming through.

That said, when budgets were set last year, they would not have budgeted for the revenue windfall of hosting two AFL finals, which provided a significant boost to the SANFL coffers in the last few weeks through bar and catering. There is a little leeway in the financial side to look at putting something further back to the fans.

For a national TV audience, having less than 6,000 fans scattered around a stadium with a capacity of 51,000 last weekend did not look good. Certainly, there were some areas closed off with tarpaulins to “corral” fans into areas to sit closer together for visual aesthetics, but there need to be more tarpaulins this weekend to further congregate fans and create stronger “supporter pockets”

The biggest key for the SANFL is attracting the next generation of fans to the games, and in order to do that, the parents need sweeteners to attend and bring the younger fans along. At present, two adults, two children, car parking, and lunch will skate past the $120 mark this weekend. For many families, that is simply too much a burden to ask, particularly for budget conscious younger families that are reluctant to pay $14 for adults during the minor round. There are certainly opportunities for free tickets around Adelaide, but many families may not be aware of this.

I’m probably a little different to a number of my media colleagues, in that I was born into a SANFL family, and was brought up in the halcyon days, attending each Grand Final my club has played since 1975, and being used to having to queue up at Football Park for grand final tickets, in the days when the game was a sellout. Those days, sadly, are gone, and will not return in our lifetime, but the SANFL is still premier in my mind and something I am more passionate about than many people will know. To see our primary day on the calendar potentially having 20,000 on the day will be so disappointing for those who love our competition so much.

Nathan Bassett, Andrew Collins and all of the other seven SANFL coaches do a great job in promoting our league during the year, and it was interesting to see the differences of opinion between the two Grand Final coaches on this issue on Tuesday. We all know the financial challenges the SANFL faces on a daily basis, and being forced to make cutbacks in areas that may not be their first preferences. The SANFL has done plenty of positive things to promote the game during the finals series and has deserved better attendances than some games as recognition of this.

Andrew Collins is right. This weekend, the SANFL should bite the bullet, be prepared to take the financial hit on the gate, and open the gates for free for fans. Yes, there will be some lost gate revenue, but there will undoubtedly be increases in revenue in catering and bar sales. Much more importantly, however, families will have the chance to attend and bring the next generation of SANFL fans through, as well as rewarding the current generation of fans for their loyalty throughout the 2012 season. Imagine the atmosphere created with so many young fans, packed in and enjoying the premier game of the season.

I know some nay-sayers will say that this is too much a hit to take, but attendances fell by over 10% this year as it is. We need people coming BACK to the game, not more walking away from it.

The SANFL, as a product, needs a crowd of 35,000 or more to really sell the product as an attractive option for fans for 2013 and beyond. Beyond MUST include the fans who will comprise our next generation of SANFL followers. If the SANFL takes the bull by the horns this weekend, makes an initiative that will be remembered for years to come, and could be the factor that starts a next generation of fans loving the game as much as people of my generation and older have for all of their lives, then it is worth the hit for one season. It could be the ideal departing legacy for outgoing General Manager of Football, Darren Chandler, to be remembered as the man whose last major initiative of his reign, was to give the game back to the families and next generation for one day of the year.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

The SANFL Grand Final Dilemma Empty Grand Final Prices

Post by Lee Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:53 am

At a media conference yesterday, Andy Collins called for the Grand Final gates to be thrown open. He said $30 was far too expensive and that West Adelaide was a 'working class club'.

He said the SANFL was a community based competition and needed to encourage people to attend, not make it hard for them, with a cost of $60 a couple.

(Merged from a separate topic)

Last edited by redandblack on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The SANFL Grand Final Dilemma Empty Re: The SANFL Grand Final Dilemma

Post by Southee Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:57 am

One of the best things I have heard Andy Collins say ...

He is spot on with this .

Loved his reference to people living in Norwood could afford it but Westies being working class would struggle to pay for the tickets .

West are very similar to South that way .

I was actually going to go but $30 ATM is a bit rich for me.

I see Darren chandler told Collins to shut up and concentrate on footy.

Collins is dead right though .
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:19 am

Well said CK !!

Smile
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:11 am

There are many themes in there CK that could be debated in their own right. EG: How to get kids being interested in the SANFL.

However, on the theme of gate revenue, I think a 10% reduction in the SANFL overall is something it can ill afford. That needs to be turned around and quickly before it slides further. This would be a huge hit to the SANFL comp if it continued.

And therefore, I think Collins is probably on the money with this. Even if it is not free, slicing the entry fee to $20 and gold coin for kids could very possibly still return a gate taking of not much less.

The current price is certainly going to curtail the attendance.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:39 am

One thing Collins said that i don't think was publicised, he said he'd prefer to see a crowd of 30,000 paying $20 to get in, instead of 20,000 paying $30 to get in. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:35 pm

I think getting Chris Davies involved in the SANFL is probably one good step towards dealing with some of the wider issues here. For to long people representing the SANFL have gone missing when it comes to promotion and expansion of interest in the SANFL in SA. Lets get the right people in leadership and see some positive changes for once!
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by erik70 Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 pm

$30 bucks isnt too bad for the big Sanfl game of the year when a ticket to the movies cost $17. 50, Afl gf ticket from $250 upwards , clipsal 500 day ticket $80 , adelaide united minor round game $27 , adelaide zoo $32 etc
erik70
erik70

Teams : NORWOOD ADELAIDE CROWS
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by erik70 Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:11 pm

$30 bucks isnt too bad for the big Sanfl game of the year when a ticket to the movies cost $17. 50, Afl gf ticket from $250 upwards , clipsal 500 day ticket $80 , adelaide united minor round game $27 , adelaide zoo $32 etc
erik70
erik70

Teams : NORWOOD ADELAIDE CROWS

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Centrals Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:23 pm

erik70 wrote:$30 bucks isnt too bad for the big Sanfl game of the year when a ticket to the movies cost $17. 50, Afl gf ticket from $250 upwards , clipsal 500 day ticket $80 , adelaide united minor round game $27 , adelaide zoo $32 etc
Probably not the best comparison, considering South Australia is one of the most expensive places in the world to watch a movie: http://www.news.com.au/travel/australia/families-pay-a-high-price-to-indulge-in-a-night-out-at-the-movies/story-e6frfqa0-1226479435586

I think $30 is too much, and people have been put off all season by the $14 entry price, but it's not the only problem.

Consider this: I have two free tickets and I'm still not going despite Centrals playing in the Reserves GF.

I'd definitely go (as a neutral) if it was at Adelaide Oval, but the inconvenience of Footy Park puts me right off.

As it stands, my tickets are going to a couple of Norwood mates - their first game of the season. Very Happy

But I'm hopeful about the future. I believe we will enter a new era when SANFL footy returns to its traditional and true home: Adelaide Oval.
Captain Centrals
Captain Centrals

Teams : Centrals, Rangers, Villa
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:44 pm

Many factors will see this GF produce one of the lowest attendances on record, IMO.

Not just the teams playing and that one of them ( West ) dont have a huge following, while the woodwork at The Parade would be creaking with people heading back out ( like all clubs would after a drought, like mine is now ) but the biggest issue I see is the time slot.

Now I appreciate with the week off Norwood have the advantage they earnt, but why oh why not play this game on Saturday night / twilight and give people the chance to enjoy the whole evening? Sure, West will have had one day less to recover, but please, at this time of year 13 days ( Norwood ) or 5 days ( West ) is hardly going to be the deciding factor, and if it is and in Norwoods favour, they earnt it.

Albeit school holidays, most families are still having parent(s) at work Monday, couple this with admission prices and many families will choose to stay at home.

I see 20,000 as being almost out of reach.

Could you not
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Seriously reckon 15k to 20k .

Awful programming by the SANFL .

Also Nathan Bassetts attitude at the press conference won't help it either saying he does not care how many turn up .

Not a good thing to say to promote and get people through the gates.

Last edited by Southee on Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm

I can't see LESS Norwood fans turning up than they did in 2010 when 34K attended.

I can see a lot less neutrals and West should have a smaller turnup than Central in recent years. (Although it's a huge day for West, first GF in 9 seasons oppossed to Central who were in 11th straight)

So given weather is OK and prices not that much different than 2010, I would be surprised if the crowd was less than 25K.

What the league needs to address is making the grand final an event for all South Australian footy fans to attend.

ie there needs to be a broader engagement than just the two supporter bases of the clubs playing in the league game.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm

Collins has been speaking up for state leagues for years and continued that at the media conference. Yesterday Bassett basically said he didn't care.

I enjoyed reading somewhere that someone who is totally anti-AFL is claiming that Bassett is the good guy and Collins is the evil one on this issue.

Difficult mental gymnastics required to justify that line.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Mannyredleg Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 pm

Tend to agree with you PhilH. Perhaps members or season ticket holders of all clubs could get a discount for every final to encourage them along. Would also give people an extra incentive to become a member or purchase a season ticket.
Mannyredleg
Mannyredleg

Teams : Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Thats the idea Manny, and at least reward the loyalty of the home match and season ticket holders by allowing them access to the Members Reserve during the finals series.

My personal thought is to make the day

an annual "Celebration of South Australian Football"

&/or the climactic event to a "Festival of Footy" held during the week.

For an example invite the premiers of every one of the 27 leagues around the state (plus maybe up to Div 6 in SAAFL) to be paraded with the mail medallists at half time.

It would be a wonderful SA Football tradition that if you win your league you get to go to AAMI Stadium.

I am sure that such a move, properly organised would bring another 3,000 to the day regardless of who was playing in the league.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Mr Chandler & co are not in the real world, if i didn't have free tickets (thanks to getting them through a coaching clinic at Footy Park & Alberton last week) i wouldn't go on principle as it is outlandish to ask that amount of money, most of us at the start of the year said that $14.00 was too much for the 'common working folk' & we were proven right, the same for this i fear & would bet we'll get less than 20,000 at the Grand Final.......................

after watching the clip & reading again what both coaches have said i want West Adelaide to win

btw in any sport or entertainment when you lose people attending you very rarely get them back & you never get 100% of them back

someone mention getting kids to go, well all you uncles, dads, mums aunties or friends take the kids & before too long they'll be asking you to take them to the footy, i can't go to the footy by myself anymore as my young bloke always wants to go even if Glenelg are not playing

had they said this weeks Grand Final is $10.00 they would get 30,000 but they'll get less than 20,000 but Mr D.C. & co aren't in the real world, put them on a low income & see how they like it
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:58 pm

Bingo bayman !

I'm not paying $60 for my family to go as a neutral supporter .
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 pm

I don't blame anyone who doesn't support Norwood or West if they didn't turn up on Sunday. Personally, the only Grand Final I've watched since 1999 is 2010 when Norwood were playing.

It's cricket season.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:39 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I don't blame anyone who doesn't support Norwood or West if they didn't turn up on Sunday. Personally, the only Grand Final I've watched since 1999 is 2010 when Norwood were playing.

It's cricket season.

I will be going but I don't know whether it is old age but I just don't have the excitement that I usually have during Grand Final week. And I don't think that it is because of the Prelim result. It could be the style the two teams play, the fact that it looks like being a poor crowd but I think it is because their aren't the perceived stars on both sides that their usually are.

Normally when I go to a Grand Final a lot of the excitement is that I am going to see great players perform on the biggest stage irrespective of the teams playing. Who are the great players that neutrals will go to watch this year? Are they still there but I just don't know them because the increasingly lower profile of the SANFL.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 am

Not being on the long weekend these last 2 years isn't helping either. At least you get a recovery day on the Monday.

As AH said, it is cricket season being this late.

Was it Jars idea to hold it the week before the AFL GF?
Obviously would need a rehash of the season schedule, but would that option be popular? One problem would be if either Crows or Port made a home Prelim final. May still rob the sanfl GF of some patronage.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 am

The timing of the GF is an interesting one.

No doubt having it later is better from a GF perspective.

However would the league be better off having GF earlier which in turn could mean season starting earlier and getting better crowds accross multiple games.

Could there be a net benefit to the SANFL to be earlier?
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 am

But then you'd have the ground availability issue if we start the season a couple of weeks earlier, but I'm sure there would be ways to overcome this - in addition to using the football-only grounds, perhaps Sturt could play one of it's Coopers Stadium 'home' games early in the season, and the Eagles could also play a home game at Thebby. This would, I believe, only leave Glenelg and North as nomads for the opening couple of rounds, but on the flip side they could have a string of home games late in the season.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:06 pm

Brucetiki wrote:But then you'd have the ground availability issue if we start the season a couple of weeks earlier, but I'm sure there would be ways to overcome this - in addition to using the football-only grounds, perhaps Sturt could play one of it's Coopers Stadium 'home' games early in the season, and the Eagles could also play a home game at Thebby. This would, I believe, only leave Glenelg and North as nomads for the opening couple of rounds, but on the flip side they could have a string of home games late in the season.

What about Alberton? Don't they play cricket at Alberton these days?
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:13 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:But then you'd have the ground availability issue if we start the season a couple of weeks earlier, but I'm sure there would be ways to overcome this - in addition to using the football-only grounds, perhaps Sturt could play one of it's Coopers Stadium 'home' games early in the season, and the Eagles could also play a home game at Thebby. This would, I believe, only leave Glenelg and North as nomads for the opening couple of rounds, but on the flip side they could have a string of home games late in the season.

What about Alberton? Don't they play cricket at Alberton these days?

They shifted out of Alberton when the Power came along, and relocated to Portland, Riverside's old ground.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next