Adelaide Hawk
Lee
Captain Centrals
12 posters

Go down

Gowans vs White Maggots Appeal Empty Gowans vs White Maggots Appeal

Post by Captain Centrals Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:54 am

Conversation here: http://www.cdfc.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3349

Donations here: http://sanfl.info/gallery/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_1_2&products_id=808

"James Gowans copped a $500 fine for abusing an umpire in his last game - a game where the Bulldogs copped 41 (yes, 41!) frees against - an SANFL record. So the Gowans brothers did what every self-respecting footballer would do - they gave the umpires a serve after the game. Bulldog supporters believe this is an attack on freedom of speech. Wikileaks is nothing compared to this outrage. After 12 consecutive grand finals, nine flags and a decade of red, white and blue on top of the brewery chimney the least Bulldog supporters can do is chip in and cover James' $500 fine. He's a bloody legend. Chris is too. So c'mon Bulldog fans, dip into your pockets and vote with your cash. One in, all in. U Dogs!"

Last edited by Captain Centrals on Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Captain Centrals
Captain Centrals

Teams : Centrals, Rangers, Villa
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Gowans vs White Maggots Appeal Empty Re: Gowans vs White Maggots Appeal

Post by Lee Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:46 am

Yes, this was an outrage.

The Gowans boys freedom of speech has been violated.

After a career of abusing umpires with no penalty, while everyone else cops a 25 for saying "what!!!", the umpires have shown no respect to their exalted status in the game as 'untouchable'.

They've won everything and been accorded hero status, although some note that their behaviour on the rare losing occasions is slightly less than gracious.

I would have thought that they could have afforded the fine out of their $50K each, but I applaud the Central faithful for rallying around.

Wink Wink Wink Gowans vs White Maggots Appeal 1654271768 Gowans vs White Maggots Appeal 2678737410

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Centrals Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:16 pm

redandblack wrote:Yes, this was an outrage.

The Gowans boys freedom of speech has been violated.

After a career of abusing umpires with no penalty, while everyone else cops a 25 for saying "what!!!", the umpires have shown no respect to their exalted status in the game as 'untouchable'.

They've won everything and been accorded hero status, although some note that their behaviour on the rare losing occasions is slightly less than gracious.
It's funny what people choose to see/remember. My recollection (from watching them play nearly every game for the last 13 years) is that - win, lose or draw - the Gowans boys were always angry. And mostly at each other and team mates who fecked up. The umpires and opposition players always got off lightly by comparison. Very Happy And the Gowans boys were FAMOUS for copping a 25 for questioning an umpire decision!

Anyway, pretty sure Kris Grant has already covered the fine. This is more of a parting gesture from the fans and a bit of fun.
Captain Centrals
Captain Centrals

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:10 pm

Looking at this seriously, I'll say this:

I've only spoken to them once, as a trainer at State training, and they were nice blokes. Most people who know them will confirm that and I think they do a lot of great work for charity, etc.

They've had enormously favourable publicity for their playing careers and rightly so. All of us would agree our club's performances would have been vastly improved if they'd been playing for us, so their place in the history of the SANFL is assured. Again, rightly so.

We're all flawed characters, though, and it doesn't lessen anything to recognise their flaws. In recent years, I've become bored with the inevitable 'flare-ups' at the end of quarters, the incessant arguing with umpires and particularly how they handle defeat.

The actions of players in defeat will often tell you more about them than in victory. Until now, they've only known victory and their reaction to defeat has been anything but humble or gracious. Now some will say that winning is everything and they may be right, but I disagree.

So many of the really great sportsmen have been champions at all times. I saw plenty of Barrie Robran playing. He was a champion and he was (and still is) gracious whether winning or losing. I always admired the likes of Jimmy Deane and Bob Hank, who were the same.

Unfortunately, what I see of James and Chris is that they haven't differentiated between aggression as part of winning and aggression that smacks of sour grapes.

Their final game should have been a triumph - regardless of the result. Unfortunately, they just reminded so many of the boorish side of their character and that's a pity.

I know they're great SANFL footballers. I know they're great blokes off the field, too.

It's unfortunate that our final memory of them on the field is of being poor and ungracious losers.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Haha!! I can just imagine someone walking up to me and saying, "Hey, one of our players carried on like an absolute moron all day, got done for abusing an umpire, and we want you to kick in some of your hard earned money so that the idiot who did the wrong thing doesn't have to pay anything".

My reaction .... "Go and get stuffed".
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:26 pm

redandblack wrote:

It's unfortunate that our final memory of them on the field is of being poor and ungracious losers.

usually what happens is the bad parts are forgotten (barring say D. Grangers' antics, the infamous West v Port brawl in the 1950's or the 1991 grand final) & only good memories are remembered, this will be forgotten by most in the future & i'm sure they'd rather be remembered for this indiscretion than the 'Schubert incident'
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:44 pm

On Triple M this morning, James Gowans said they'd have to send debt collectors after him as he had no intention of paying the $500 fine for abusing an umpire.

Of course, the others thought he was so amusing, as other media people have over the years. What a flog. As I said before, no respect for the game. I'm not going to miss him.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:53 pm

If that's true, then it would have to go down as one of the most childish ways to finish a career. Surely he's big enough to just pay the fine and move on from it.

Centrals antics in that semi final reek more and more of the antics Adelaide United did in their 2006/07 A-League GF loss - lose badly and turn petulant, blaming everyone else but themselves for the humiliating loss.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Centrals Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 pm

The SANFL will be a poorer competition (in the short term) for the loss of a couple of the SANFL's greatest characters.

Anyone who knows these guys, or has at least met them, will know what I'm talking about. I realise the Internet is a different place.

It's a shame the wonderful memories they have created over more than a decade are being overshadowed here by some fairly petty stuff. But as bayman alluded to above, the petty stuff will be forgotten. History will remember the Gowans boys as the true champions and great blokes they were.
Captain Centrals
Captain Centrals

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm happy to help out.

I say the fine should be $1000.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:29 pm

My personal opinion here .

I never have had anytime for the Gowans on the field .

I have seen over various times that they are very unsportsmanlike in the way they go about their football.

They got away with murder for years and a lot of times the umpires have loved them.

The way they played that last game was comical but also embarrassing for them and the Central District footy club.

Like R&B said there have been many before them and who are playing now that are graceful in defeat . Too me , these guys could not handle losing but instead of sucking it up and being graceful and fair they acted like little children who did not get the sweets !

I will not miss them and if they don't pay that fine well that just sums up what my thoughts are of them !

Really pathetic and immature stuff!!!

Maybe that $500 could come out their own pocket and given to a charity instead of asking the supporters to chip in ???!!
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:On Triple M this morning, James Gowans said they'd have to send debt collectors after him as he had no intention of paying the $500 fine for abusing an umpire.

Of course, the others thought he was so amusing, as other media people have over the years. What a flog. As I said before, no respect for the game. I'm not going to miss him.

i never heard it so with a bit of guess work i'm thinking perhaps this was said on radio purely as entertainment.......however if true wouldn't Central be told to pay up or take out the money from his contract pay that way ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:21 pm

bayman wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:On Triple M this morning, James Gowans said they'd have to send debt collectors after him as he had no intention of paying the $500 fine for abusing an umpire.

i never heard it so with a bit of guess work i'm thinking perhaps this was said on radio purely as entertainment.......however if true wouldn't Central be told to pay up or take out the money from his contract pay that way ?

I was listening this morning. It was said in jest and nothing more.

I understand many people have firm opinions on James and Chris and respect that. Many people also have never met either of them and may be unaware of the other side of them, such as charity work, such as mentoring of younger players, and other assistance they offer in the community that is not widely publicised.

The SANFL is poorer for their retirement in many ways. Ask the average AFL fan who does not follow SANFL to name a SANFL player, and the majority will reply with "The Gowans twins". That sort of immediate association and recognition is not easily replaced and while they have pushed the boundaries at times in their illustrious careers, they have also been invaluable in their promotion of the league through various media outlets since coming to South Australia.

A little part of going to the footy every week for me has changed with their retirement, personally. I understand there are some football followers that will not miss them and that is fine, but for me and many other SANFL fans, the competition will just be a little different from here on in.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by bullydog Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:28 pm

I heard that but I'm sure they were all laughing about it including gowans. get over it he's retired now so you dont have to listen to him. talk about a flog.
bullydog
bullydog

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:16 pm

wasnt surprised in the slightest at the antics, james in particulare is the worst loser i have ever seen, good riddance isay
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:55 pm

fatty wrote:wasnt surprised in the slightest at the antics, james in particulare is the worst loser i have ever seen, good riddance isay
Rolling Eyes
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Phil ,

There are 2 Gowans ... The ones on the field and the ones off the field .

Loveable off the field , disliked and some people did not like the way they went about their footy on the field.

That's the difference. Smile
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum