Adelaide Hawk
PhilH
Lee
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Foxtel Cup Empty Foxtel Cup

Post by Lee Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:24 am

I'm not surprised that it hasn't been mentioned much that Claremont won the Foxtel Cup and also the WAFL premiership.

That blows a lot of theories out of the water.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Foxtel Cup Empty Re: Foxtel Cup

Post by PhilH Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:09 pm

It will be in the FOOT-e TIMES on Wednesday (along with letters to the Editor Smile )
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:19 pm

What theories would they be?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Many people (not so much on here) thought participating in the Foxtel Cup was detrimental to the team's chances of going top.

Claremont have disproved that.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Other teams are just jealous I reckon R&B.

It is usually the supporters who's teams are not partcipatng in it have the problem with the comp.

Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 pm

I don't have any problem if other clubs want to participate, it's up to them. I just don't want Norwood there. We've had enough injuries, don't need any more.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:35 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:I don't have any problem if other clubs want to participate, it's up to them. I just don't want Norwood there. We've had enough injuries, don't need any more.

Far call. Im a bit the same but its just the impression I get from another footy forum site.

Lots of bitterness.
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Southee wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:I don't have any problem if other clubs want to participate, it's up to them. I just don't want Norwood there. We've had enough injuries, don't need any more.

Far call. Im a bit the same but its just the impression I get from another footy forum site.

Lots of bitterness.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep worrying about what is posted over there.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:
Southee wrote:

Lots of bitterness.

I dont...... Laughing
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Southee wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:
Southee wrote:

Lots of bitterness.

I dont...... Laughing

firstly, i'm not wrapped in the idea of playing it during the season proper but pre season in place of trials why not ?, (foxtel have replayed them in the past couple of years) the actual day i changed my mind was when South won in Melbourne this year & i thought yep there is plenty of upside in this, i don't believe it helps or hinders a team either way & if those like me old enough to remember the 10 or even further back to the 8 team competition, the clubs played every week, hell in the 1970's & early 1980's our teams played WAFL & VFL teams in 'the night competition' midweek, back then Glenelg lost to North Melbourne by a kick, North Adelaide killed Collingwood & just like that game that proved our football was at least equal to theirs which gave us all pride & so did Souths win this year

secondly, i didn't realise there was another site still going, i thought it died a death, must be dying slowly then
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:17 am

I know that Norwood just wanted their sole focus to be on the SANFL competition this season, that is why they opted out. Too many times over the years, Norwood competed in national competitions and placed way too much emphasis on winning them, rather than the local comp, and we paid the price.

1976 was a classic example. Norwood poured everything they had into that competition. We would play mid-week, come out sore and tired on the Saturday and lose. By the time we lost to North Melbourne in the semi-finals we had an injury list we couldn't cope with.

Well done to Claremont for winning both, but their job was made so much easier by other clubs only going into matches half-cocked.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Oracle Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am

It would be interesting to play a challenge final between the SA and WA premiers. I suspect Claremont would win comfortably if it happened this year.
Oracle
Oracle

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:34 pm

No they wouldn't, because WAFL do the right thing and get their finals over with in September. All their players would have been on the sauce for three weeks before the match began.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:38 pm

As much as I originally supported midweek night matches, I'm now of the opinion that it should/could be a pre-season comp in place of trial matches for the participating clubs as mentioned above by bayman. It could be over in a couple of weeks and perhaps give some teams a good idea of where they might be heading during the course of the upcoming season proper.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Here are a few thoughts from Ron Fuller on the Foxtel Cup from his "Ronnies Blog" site on the SAFC Website,

"Foxtel Cup.

Monday 6 August - By Ronny's Blog

A lot has been written about the merits of playing or not playing in the Foxtel Cup but all the reasons we chose to compete in the competition came to fruition for us.
The fact that we were able to play through a couple of byes was good, the chance to play several men who would not have probably been chosen for league selection at the time was good too and it also gave the whole club the opportunity to get away together to get to know each other better.
The fact that we didn’t win after the byes was no issue as we believe we did perform better, despite the losses, because of the improvement gained from playing against quality opposition, rather than not playing at all.
After our final Foxtel Cup game we went down to Glenelg by 3 points which was a lot better than we had performed post byes in the past.
The reason we didn’t have Liddle, Ainger, Wundke, Bass and Houlihan in the Port Melbourne game was because they were either injured or sore.
Garry Ayres suggested to me that he had a similar amount of his first picked not playing for the same reasons as well, so both clubs respected the competition as best they could.
The competition does need a little tinkering as the authorities have suggested with a game less being a priority, which we believe would make it more ideal too.
If we are asked to participate again there will be many things to consider as per our presence in it but for our intents and purposes we were glad we were involved.
The players loved the experience of playing at the MCG, the shorter quarters took a loss less toll on their bodies and all to a man they said they would rather do it than have a contrived training session to simulate a game.
It also promoted our club a little bit and that can’t be a bad thing.

Ron Fuller."
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:19 pm

My 2013 Foxtel Cup Schedule

Played over 8 weeks

PLAY IN GAME
Queanbeayan (NEAFL East Premiers)
v Burnie (Tasmanian Premiers)

QUARTER FINALS

Norwood (SANFL Prem) v Brisbane Lions (NEAFL champs)

Port Melbourne (VFL 2nd) v East Fremantle (WAFL 2nd)

Geelong (VFL Prem) v West Adelaide (SANFL 2nd)

Claremont (WAFL Prem) v Play In Winner

SEMI FINALS

Norwood / Brisbane Lions v Port Melbourne / East Fremantle

Geelong / West Adelaide v Claremont / Queanbeyan / Burnie

PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:12 pm

You're presuming that the clubs who haven't wanted to play so far, will now do so.

I agree with you and it will be fun to hear those who have rubbished the concept now see their teams chase the money Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Yep ... I would be shocked if that is what the scheduled looked like but if it did there would be some interesting games to follow.

Given West finished 2nd and have played last two years, you would assume that at least there will be a SANFL Grand Finallist participating next year even if Norwood decline.

If the Redlegs did decline then North would be next up as the 3rd placed team, they have participated previously so you would expect them to be involved again.

So unless either West or North have a radical change of heart regarding participating then we are assured at least the 2nd and 3rd ranked SANFL teams being involved, the most credible involvement yet.
PhilH
PhilH

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Correct, Phil, I agree.

I'll stick my neck out and predict that Norwood will participate.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:24 pm

redandblack wrote:Correct, Phil, I agree.

We sustained enough injuries in the 20 minor round games we played, why on earth would we want our players to play any more football than is necessary?
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:34 pm

redandblack wrote:You're presuming that the clubs who haven't wanted to play so far, will now do so.

I agree with you and it will be fun to hear those who have rubbished the concept now see their teams chase the money Very Happy

Personally, I've never been against the concept, and if clubs wish to participate, it's up to them, although it does mystify me why anyone would enter a competition and not try to win it.

I simply feel it's just not right for Norwood.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Well, well. I believe that Norwood and West will participate next year.

I think that destroys most of the arguments many (not all) people have put up about it in the past Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:18 pm

redandblack wrote:

Well, well. I believe that Norwood and West will participate next year.

I think that destroys most of the arguments many (not all) people have put up about it in the past Very Happy

Why? Norwood decided to concentrate 100% on winning the SANFL premiership. It proved to be correct, so why would it destroy any argument in that direction? If they decide to take part in 2013, God only knows why. And if they decide to play their reserves players like Westies, then they are wasting their time.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:34 pm

As you say, AH, they missed it last year to concentrate on winning a premiership, which they did. Having done that, they now participate and I'm sure they're still keen on winning a premiership next year. That decision goes a long way towards disproving the 'can't win a premiership if you play in the Foxtel Cup' argument, not that Claremont have ever believed that.

West played in it this year and finished 2nd, after being 7th last year, so it didn't harm them.

The reason Norwood will play next year is that the prizemoney is greatly increased, of course.

The teams who refused to play last year would all have participated next year, given the chance.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:38 pm

It will be interesting to see when these games will be played.

Rather than a bye weekend, I think they could see how it goes as a mid-week game, depending on TV issues.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next