Hawthorn Qywyky http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/Default.aspx
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Hawthorn Empty Re: Hawthorn

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:03 pm

Very satisfactory start to the season with a win over Collingwood.

Hawks 20-17 (137), d. Collingwood 16-19 (115)

Buddy 5 goals.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:55 pm

I just heard Whitecross got a week suspension because Selwood ran into his arm. No wonder I rarely watch AFL these days. Players see someone in front of them, run into them, and get a free kick. It's a bit like America's Cup where you can ram an opponent and they get disqualified for being there.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Ah well, another narrow loss, this time to West Coast in Perth. Still, I guess when you start the season against the previous year's grand finalists and West Coast in Perth in your first 4 games, 2-2 isn't such a bad result. 3-1 would have been better Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 pm

Bought a DVD titled "Great AFL Thrashings" and it features 5 Hawthorn wins where the Hawks won by large margins.

Last night I watched the round 20 fixture in 1992, Hawthorn v Essendon where the Hawks won by 160 points. Although it was a one sided game, the performance put on by the Hawks was sensational.

The brilliance of Darren Jarman, the courage of Tony Hall, the goalkicking legend Jason Dunstall, and the prolific ball gatherer John Platten. It is the way the game should be played.

Darren Jarman ... I need to watch an old game now and again to remind me of his unique skills. There's not a player today who even comes close to what that guy could do.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 pm

the sad thing about your above post AH is that 3 of those four gentlemen came from the SANFL & ventured over the border & funnily enough the other man is a Queenslander......so much for a Victorian competition, obviously the Victorians watched more players from other states than their own play for their respective vfl onto afl clubs
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 pm

In the case of Hawthorn, as well as clever interstate recruitment, they also introduced many local players in the 1980s who went on to become champions of the game.

Hawthorn was actually the last VFL club to really get involved in recruitment from other states in a big way. In the 1978 GF, North Melbourne played Glendinning (WA), Sutton (Tas), Huppatz (SA), Blight (SA), Melrose (WA), and McCann (WA), whereas the only interstate recruit for Hawthorn that day was Rodney Eade (Tasmania). It was the last of the "home-grown" VFL premiership teams.

In the 1976 Grand Final (also won by the Hawks), North Melbourne's team comprised of 7 players from others states and several players from other VFL clubs, the Hawks had 1 player from interstate (Eade). 18 players of the 20 began their VFL careers with the Hawks, and only 1 came from another club (Bremner who played 1 game for Collingwood).

By the time the 80s came around, Hawthorn realised that in order to be competitive they had to explore recruitment options interstate. And didn't they find some beauties in that period (1980-89) -

Rick Davies
Andrew Bennett
Colin Robertson
Gary Buckenara
Ken Judge
Steve Malaxos
Rod Lester-Smith
Jason Dunstall
John Platten
Clinton Browning
Paul Harding
Darren Pritchard
Tony Hall
Paul Hudson

Add Ben Allan (1990) and Darren Jarman (1991) and it almost reads like a who's who of football.

Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sun May 27, 2012 9:09 am

What's the story with the Hawks this year?

Up and down like yoyo's. Many of their star players have been in ordinary form also. Shocking loss to Richmond yesterday, although the Tigers do seem to be on the rise at the moment.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sun May 27, 2012 9:26 am

Beaten by a team who wanted it more. Simple as that. I guess the problem we have at Hawthorn is the game is constantly changing, and we've been recruiting to suit a style of play that has been superseded.

This is why I can't go along with drafting too many 18 year olds, and 5 year plans. You structure yourself in accordance with a plan, and when you reach the point at which you were aiming, you find out it isn't good enough.

Richmond has a very good coach in Hardwick, he knows the score, and he also knows what is required to deal with the Hawks.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:25 pm

Big day for the Hawks today. A 115 point win and Buddy booted 13 goals, the highest by any AFL player since 2000.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Just a lazy 13! Find it amusing that barely a week after some articles are written about the lack of genuine big scoring forwards in modern football we have a bloke kick 8 and another 13 in the same round. Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Just a lazy 13! Find it amusing that barely a week after some articles are written about the lack of genuine big scoring forwards in modern football we have a bloke kick 8 and another 13 in the same round. Laughing

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes you get a premonition, and when I was watching Riewoldt kick his 8 last night I was thinking Buddy could get a 10, not realising for a minute I was on the money. Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:29 am

A very satisfying win over Port after enduring a week of the sa media telling me Port were almost certainities to win, that they had Buddy's measure, etc. I really think the media at times need to take a reality pill.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:24 am

A lazy 27 goal victory over GWS. When I look at GWS I find it hard to think of the AFL as an "elite" competition.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:A lazy 27 goal victory over GWS. When I look at GWS I find it hard to think of the AFL as an "elite" competition.

I'm not being cheeky, but do you think Norwood could knock GWS off if they were to play tomorrow? scratch
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodnTars Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Buddy out for 3 weeks with hamstring injury. Looks like it was a bad move to risk him against the might of the GWS.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Normally, I would think an AFL team should defeat an SANFL team easily, but the Gold Coast and GWS aren't AFL standard. I think if they played at Norwood Oval, and Norwood were full strength, it would be an interesting match. I would go so far as to say some of the Central teams over the past decade would beat them.

People seem to think because they are full of low drafted kids, they will be a great side in 5 years' time, but there's some pretty ordinary kids in there as well.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:44 am

Gotta say the Hawks are looking the goods at the moment, hammering everyone at the moment despite the absence of Buddy.

This weekends match should be a belter against their nemesis Geelong.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 am

Clarko and Co would be spurred on by that lost Prelim Final I'd imagine.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:06 pm

Yes, it's looking good so far, but there's still a long way to go and a lot of hard work to be done. They really do appear to be a team on a mission at the moment and I'm hoping they can carry this hunger into the finals.

I haven't seen this intensity and hunger from the Hawks since 2008, and I honestly fee we are a better team than we were then. Only time will tell. Finger crossed Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:12 am

Their form can only be described as ominous, and I would say that at the moment they are the only side in the comp that is making a definitive case for themselves as a flag contender.

That said, if they lose to the Cats Friday night then things are wide open again.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:06 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Their form can only be described as ominous, and I would say that at the moment they are the only side in the comp that is making a definitive case for themselves as a flag contender.

That said, if they lose to the Cats Friday night then things are wide open again.

Its been very surprising to see how Geelong are reduced to a footnote in many discussions about finals this year. Not the dominant side they were, but a very, very ominous wildcard.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum