interesting observation from a 12 yo

+2
howthewestwaswon
bayman
6 posters

Go down

interesting observation from a 12 yo  Empty interesting observation from a 12 yo

Post by bayman Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:44 pm

my 12 year old son (almost 13) made the observation & comment that with all the night games we have & the fact that most of our finals (4 of the 6) start at a later time including the grand final where yellow footballs are used, he said why not just use yellow footballs all year including day games so all players are used of them...i thought his idea has merit

your thoughts please ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

interesting observation from a 12 yo  Empty Re: interesting observation from a 12 yo

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Isn't it because we're more alert/sensitive to the colour red against the backdrop of blue?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

interesting observation from a 12 yo  Empty Re: interesting observation from a 12 yo

Post by Brucetiki Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Doesn't the WAFL use yellow balls for all their matches?

Also, I think the only time a yellow ball was used for the Grand Final was in 2007. With the change of daylight savings in 2008, daylight savings now starts before the Grand Final which means they've gone back to a red ball for Grand Finals.

What I thought was most interesting was the use of a yellow ball for Wednesday's game, rather odd as the game was going to finish in daylight for the simple fact that Unleash Solar Oval doesn't have playing lights.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:54 am

Bayman,

Do you recall back in 1968 when Glenelg tried to introduce the yellow ball to SANFL footy against North at the Glenelg Oval? North chairman of selectors Jack Sutter went onto the oval and booted the ball into the ground as he was tackled by a Glenelg official. As a kid, I thought it was hilarious, but the SANFL were not amused Smile
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:13 pm

AH,
i've heard the story but was only 4 at the time Wink
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:32 pm

It was incredible. Neil Kerley decided the yellow ball in WA may be an advantage, Glenelg trained with it and decided to use it in a game. A goal was scored, the ball lost, so a yellow one was thrown out onto the ground.

Before the umps could get to it, North official Jack Sutter ran and grabbed it. As he shaped to kick it into the crowd a Glenelg official tackled him. I was watching the replay and couldn't stop laughing, it looked so pathetic watching two middle aged men grappling for a ball while the players stood around wondering what in hell was going on.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:36 pm

On the other side of the coin, why are we using yellow balls for night games if the lights are supposed to make it equivalent to daylight or not far off? We are certainly getting a lot of light on the ground. The yellow ball is more slippery being dyed and/or synthetically coated and adds to a lowering of the skill level, and from observations, I believe that it doesn't travel through the air as well - it floats. Check next time and see the number of kicks that don't quite go where they should compared to a naturally leather ball.
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue May 01, 2012 2:26 pm

When night games are played it is much easier to see a yellow ball against a darkened sky compared to the red balls used during a day game no matter how much light is thrown on to the oval.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down