Sturt v West at Commander Centre Oval - Saturday.

+16
Thiele
Oracle
Lee
Chambo Off To Work We Go
waddayamean
Adelaide Hawk
Sabre
Flag No.10
Bobbafet
bayman
countrycousin
Big Phil
Bundy
howthewestwaswon
blacky
Admin
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sturt v West at Commander Centre Oval - Saturday. - Page 2 Empty Re: Sturt v West at Commander Centre Oval - Saturday.

Post by Lee Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:20 pm

blackandred's report on bloodntars.com

With rain threatening and Sturt having won the last 13 contests against West at Unley Oval, which is now simply a large neighbourhood park with goalposts, this was not a game to look forward to with any enthusiasm. In the end the conditions worked in Westies favour as it evened out the game and we adapted better than Sturt.

The Bloods ran out comfortable winners in the end, 10.12 to 6.15 but we really won the game with a terrific burst in the last Q when they booted 3 goals. The rest of the game was tight, riddled with errors due to the slippery conditions and reasonably well umpired.

Lobbe played in the 2s and looked in need of the run. They lost 15.15 to 13.9. This meant Westies went into the main game with Bornholm, Homburg, Laird and Silverlock and this inexperienced quartet all played a key role in the win.

The first half was tough and tight with neither team able to gain an advantage. They were both wasteful in front of goal due to the pressure and the conditions. At Q time Sturt led 2.2 to 1.4 and at half time Westies had a narrow lead 4.7 to 3.9. Sturt had gone inside 50 27 times and Westies 21 so we were fortunate to be in front. Our backline can take credit for that.

The game came alive in the 3rd Q. Duldig, who had been held to one possession in the first half broke clear of Tippett and kicked 3 gls. Beech booted a beauty early, running in from the SW pocket but it was not until late in the Q that we hit back with an Ezard snap from a pack at the 24 min mark and a long shot from Rory Laird from the centre clearance a minute later and so we took a narrow lead into the last break, WA 7.8, St 6.11.

The last saw the Bloods dominate the first ten minutes. Strangely, in the conditions, it was the big men who played a key role. Bornholm and Webb took key marks with Willets holding up Sturt’s forward thrusts as we built a wall across Sturt's half forward line. Fergy marked and kicked truly for our first and Webb who, earlier had missed from a set shot out in front, kicked a beauty from the pocket to give us an 18 pt lead. A Ferguson handball to Nick Hombug who goalled from a wonderful right foot snap was our 10th and last goal and it sealed the game at the 16 minute mark. Sturt then fought back and the rest of the Q was spent in their forward line while we defended grimly. The game became a rolling stoppage and Sturt had their chances but added points rather than goals and the game was ours.

Sturt had more kicks (138) than us (105) but tended to over-use the ball. We used handball to better advantage having 190 to their 166. Sturt won the rucks but we won the clearances. In the last 3 Qs Sturt kicked 4.13 to our 9.8.

The best possession winners were the backmen and the midfielders, Schmidt and Green 23, Caire and Ezard 22 and Hartlett 19. This was not a day to be critical of our disposal skills but plenty of mistakes were still evident.

Best for us in a pretty even team effort were Hartlett and Caire. The former is playing a more disciplined game this year, he spoilt effectively all day and used handball well under a lot of pressure. His good form provides the flexibility for Fergy to move forward. Caire was his usual reliable self although he made a terrible defensive error in the 2ndQ that let Sturt in for a goal. Such is the risky style of footy that is now played. Brad Fisher left the ground early and was not seen again.

Webb booted 3 in an improved effort and the rest were spread evenly. The 4 inexperienced youngsters all made excellent contributions and repaid the faith of the selection panel.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Sturt v West at Commander Centre Oval - Saturday. - Page 2 Empty Re: Sturt v West at Commander Centre Oval - Saturday.

Post by BloodnTars Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:43 pm

West won the 18s by about 6 goals. Unfortunately we lost the 16s by 11 points.
BloodnTars
BloodnTars

Teams : West Adelaide, Adelaide Crows, Gepps Cross

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Bundy wrote:I am lost for words. study
Thats unusal for you
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Highlights and lowlights, from a West point of view.

The good:

A win at Unley.

Jonno Beech's skill, knowing you can back him to kick the goal from out wide on the run.

Rory Laird's continuing emergence.

Adam Hartlett's transition to a top-class Centre Half Back

Aaron Fielke's under-rated job on Richard Tambling.

Daniel Webb standing up in the last quarter when it counted.

Daniel Webb goaling with his new routine.

Logan Hill's game - it's been a hard road back.

Ten scoring shots in a row when it looked like the game was slipping away.

Bravery and keeping heads over the footy.

This week's Footy Budget Embarassed

The Bad:

Brad Fisher's eye injury.

More misses from 20 out, straight in front.

Cameron Stokes knee injury in his first game back. Fortunately not as bad, hopefully, as first feared(?).

I stood in the rain all day and loved it.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 pm

redandblack wrote:Highlights and lowlights, from a West point of view.

The good:

This week's Footy Budget Embarassed

Ha ha, I thought it was a great edition this week Smile
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:27 am

Flag No.9 wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:
lachlan wrote:However we got smashed in ruck.

It doesn't seem to matter all that much does it? I've seen so many games over the years where a ruckman dominates the hit outs, but plays in a losing team. What matters most is who gets the ball out of the middle.

It's an interesting point AH, but I'm not even sure if it matters who gets it out of the middle either. Not only do the stats show we were blitzed in ruck, Sturt also had 12 more clearances than us. I guess you can win every clearance but if you stick the ball down the opposition's throat once you've cleared it, that stat means nothing. In fact, so many of the stats mean nothing now. They really only had any meaning in the days when players kicked the ball forwards.

Agreed. The only stats that interest me are "goal & behinds for" versus "goals & behinds against". The rest is purely academic. Sure, they can be used as a coaching tool but if the average supporter is watching the game, they shouldn't need statistics to tell them what is going on out there. I get so bored when up come individual stats at 1/4 time, and guess what .... midfielders have had the most possessions .. who'd have thought?

Once again, it's this neurotic compulsion we have for making a simple game appear to be far more complicated than it is.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:35 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:

Once again, it's this neurotic compulsion we have for making a simple game appear to be far more complicated than it is.

Ah well they have to do that to justify having 6 assistant coaches. And they have to have 6 assistant coaches to show that they're spending more money in their football department than everyone else with 5 assistant coaches.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:18 pm

From a Sturt perspective I can't add much to what I posted on doubleblue.org after the game.
"The disappointing thing about our form today was the way we slipped back into the ways of 2011 when we were under pressure. Poor decision making, handball - too much and too loose and aimless kicking going forward. When I opened up my Budget, the first thing I saw was an article quoting Seamus headed "I prefer them to throw it on the boot when they're under pressure rather than handball" Obviously the players didn't get the message. The other glaring issue was our inability to take contested marks. Credit to West, they came with a well developed plan to shut us down which they did to perfection and our game plan fell apart under pressure. Ugly football but they got the 2 points, which is all that matters. My best players (For Sturt) - Sharples, Anderson, Riley, Hinge, Kane. Let's hope we learned something today and move on to better things."
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 pm

West fans will be pleased to know that Brad Fisher is fine and will be available for our next game.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Good to hear that randb...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:52 pm

R&B

Thanks for the update on Brad Fisher. Its great news he is very important to us
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2