TAYLOR
VEIDE

INS

BIEMANS
BROOKSBY
SUMMERTON
WHITTLESEA

If there are any other ins and outs, please post

Disappointed in 2017, so might expect some improvement this season , but might need a relatively injury free season to do so

Prediction
6th-9th
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

South Adelaide 2018 season Empty Re: South Adelaide 2018 season

Post by Scrappy Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:25 pm

2-2
If it was 3-1, that would have been a good start , after playing GL/NW/AC/WA

Ive seen the Panthers in 3 games , they have actually looked good in patches
Liam Fitt debuted against WA in round 4 , looked impressive, and has a booming left foot

2-2 is ok, but have not played against PA/ST/WWT or the improved NA as yet
Predicted minor round finish
6th-9th

Last edited by Scrappy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:23 pm

2-2

Agree on Fitt, looked very impressive.

5th to 8th finish.
saintal
saintal

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:25 pm

Fast Footy Premiers

Statewide Super Women's League Premiers

Now for the trifecta?
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:09 am

When you you lose 14 players from your list- 13 of whom played at league level previously...it leaves a gaping hole. The club has picked up a few recruits..Brooksby returning, Biemans, Whittlesea and Summerton, but it seems the club will be keen to promote local young talent. Liam Fitt's debut v West was one of the best first game performances from an 18 yo that I've seen for many years, he even impressed some West supporters.
This season could be a long one, already we have seen plenty of good footy and plenty of ordinary stuff too- all this coming from inexperience and taking time for things to gel.
The fact that the club is doing it tough financially doesnt help with recruiting. Because of our poor financial position, thankfully, the sanfl have come to our aid -hah~! -imposing a $50k reduction on our Salary cap.....which should help us enormously.. South Adelaide 2018 season 2548818497
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:56 pm

Liam Fitt kicked 4 goals against PA
How has his season progressed ?

SA 5-3
Going nicely and definite show for a finals berth

Predicted minor round finish
4th-7th
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Scrappy Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:23 am

10 games
7 wins
3 losses

Currently in 3rd position
Excellent season to date
Jarrod Wright and his assistants have far exceeded a lot of peoples expectations in 2018
SA have knocked off NA + ST in away wins , thats very impressive and proves they are now not only a final five aspirant, but also a hope of winning something they have not done since 1964

Expected Minor Round finish
1st-5th
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Get that feeling that something special is potentially brewing down South - Winning and winning well AND copping more than a share of injury.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:59 pm

Seaside1 wrote:Not too many first choice players injured though. They are going well and could be a chance. Prediction at 3rd or 4th.

Not too many first choice.....???

Nick Schwartz-season
Sam Overall - season
Matt Rose- shoulder 6weeks
Tom Whittlesea -shoulder 4 weeks
Nathan Krueger - concussion -1 week
Biemans - hammy - 1 week..?

thankfully Souths' lack of depth- not helped by the sanfl imposing a 50k salary cap handicap -has been alleviated by the the introduction of a fleet of 17-18 year old locals, who have debuted and are playing very well.
Jarrod Wright is doing a fantastic job, with some sage like assistants and former teamates in Handby and Thewlis.
I think South can finish top 5, with a bit of luck, top 3. And with Port & Adelaide (who were Souths finals nemesis in the Gotch years) looking like missing finals action this year...who knows..?

blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:47 pm

Seaside1 wrote:Which 6 comes out then ? Other clubs have cap reductions.
It has taken a long time to realise the club needs in to invest in its zone and it was at its own detriment.
The SANFL have imposed that on a few clubs . South just dont do it well considering the free kicks they have got. A 1 dollar peppercorn agreement and the club is in financial difficulties is hard to believe. Not may supporters , huge growth opportunities and recent success yet still dwindling crowds.

South were in a great financial position and longer are . That is the question that needs answering.

Who do you support seaside?
pretty sure you wont supply an answer to that....I'm assuming that you want to fire cheap shots and keep yourself as small a target as possible..
Im tipping that your home ground is a ground that was supplied by your local council, complete with improvements ie grandstands changerooms etc, its also maintained by your council as well; and no doubt the council helps out with the water & power bill for you as well.
South have had to purchase all the improvements at Hickinbotham-all of them, also have to pay the water,(can tell you the water bill for the changerooms only at Hickinbotham is in excess of 100k /year.).; power etc...
and the much maligned Onkaparinga Council do absolutely as little as possible for the SAFC.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:55 am

SA 10-7 with 1 round to go
Will finish either 4th or 5th

No disrespect intended
I look at the SA team on paper every week and think , how are they playing so well
They have some brilliant yougSTARs , that includes the very impressive Kreuger , Fitt and Noble
They have good talls in Brooksby and Davis , and the ultra consistent great midfielders the experienced Cross and Liddle 

They are a fit and talented team, they have been very good late in enough games this season

They are a cinderella team
Im really liking whats happening at Carlunga this season

Going to be a very difficult assignment to win 4 consecutive finals
Will be playing NA in the Elim Final, a team they have beaten twice this season, rather easily
If they win against NA and can knock off either ST or WT the week after, then they have had a great season, irrespective of how far they go after that
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:07 pm

I think South can make the Prelim. They seem to have North's measure this season and the Eagles are also looking shaky.
Can't seem them beating Sturt or Norwood but they have had a good season.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 pm

Boofa Wright in his first season as a league coach has done well. What ever happens over the next month , the fact remains he has given 9 players -all 18-19 year olds from our local area their first taste of league footy this season.
Some sadly wont be with us next year- 3 from what Ive heard will be AFL bound. I applaud Boofa for doing this and also the youngsters for grabbing the opportunities presented to them with both hands.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:26 am

Disappointing way to go out on Sunday , defeated by North in the Elimination Final.
I guess at the beginning of the season if someone had said we'd be playing in an Elimination final ,you would have questioned their sanity. The club had just lost the services of 13 players- some good some not so good ,but all had league experience. The club also copped a 50k discount on its salary cap from the SANFL , because its doing it tough financially (if you can figure that out , good luck!) , severely curtailing any thoughts of securing high level recruits. The club had also just appointed a rookie coach in Jarrad Wright.
The club recruited Biemans from Port, Whittlesea & Summerton from the Eagles and Noble from West. Of these Summerton and Noble were outstanding; while the other two struggled with injury and form during the year. The club debuted nine 18-19 year olds from its junior programme and the local zone, of these Krueger and Fitt were the standouts.
To finish the Minor round in 4th position was an exceptional effort in hindsight. Two narrow losses during the year to West & Centrals, both by less than a kick could have seen the club playing in the later game last Sunday with a double chance.
It was a sad way to go out in the Elimination final.
The club now stands in a perilous position in my opinion. It is rumoured that a handful of senior players will be departing the scene,and at least 3 players will be drafted into the AFL. The clubs finances are also limited and there is much work to be done in the off season to be competitive next year.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:43 am

Astute summary B+W.

Wasn’t sure what to expect in March, so to chalk up 11 wins and play competitive footy week to week (average losing margin was around 3 goals from memory) and beat every other team during the year was a solid effort.

Having said that, to squander that form and momentum when it mattered was so disappointing. You need to take opportunities when they present, especially given the player turn-over in the sanfl (only 7 guys from Sunday were part of our 2016 finals campaign Shocked )

Was encouraging to (finally) see a talented group of local youngsters made an impact at senior level.

Summerton the pick of the recruits (if you don’t include Brooksby), while Noble was handy. Biemans had his moments during the first half of season, while Whittlesea has his limitations. Second year player Davis improved on a sub-par 2017 and will poll well in the Knuckey Cup.

Persistence paid off for Haines, Brown and Heaslip, who all enjoyed their best seasons to date. In a climate of chasing country $ its great to see guys like these keep fronting up each season. Cailotto another who had his best season.

Continuity for Overall and Haren was once again an issue.  

You’d have to question whether Cross, Liddle and Crabb will continue on. Redigolo another who might pull the pin?

While I’m certainly not “in the know”, you can only assume off-field the scenario still looks far from ideal.
saintal
saintal

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:33 am

I would be holding onto Liddle - reckon he still has a bit in the tank.

Surely we can get another year from him ?

I’ll summarise my thoughts on the year a bit later
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:44 am

Whispers suggest Crossy might have played his last season with South, but I can’t vouch for how credible the rumour is. Had a very good season South that could have been even better had a few things gone slightly different. Boof seems to have done very well and made use of Tony Bamfords fine work. Hopefully they can keep mining the local talent which should always help in future seasons. I know they were very highly rated by at least one club still in the hunt.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:45 pm

Excellent summary, B & W and all.

Given their restrictions, I think the coach and club did a great job to be more than competitive all year.

In the end, the difference was only a few errors under pressure from some young players, not unusual in a final.

Full credit to the Panthers for season 2018.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Post script....if there is such a thing as footballing Gods....surely Nick Liddle will win the Magarey medal.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum