Anti-density Rule

3 posters

Go down

Anti-density Rule Empty Anti-density Rule

Post by Lee Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 am

I watched a terrific game of Under 18's footy last night that was basically decided by a rule unique to that grade, introduced purely to assist the AFL to identify talent.

It's labelled the 'anti-density' rule. I'm not totally up with it, but it's basically that you have to have 2 players inside your own 50 at stoppages and 5 in your own half.

I thought I saw this rule broken at least a dozen times in the game, but only 2 were called.

The last one was with a minute to go with West down by a goal and attacking their forward 50.  The rule was called against them.

The penalty for this offence? A free kick where the ball was?  No - a free kick at the other end, 30 out, directly in front. Goal, for the 2nd time in the game.  Final margin, 2 goals.

West walked off, bewildered. The spectators collectively felt flat. A great game, with 2 teams giving their all, decided by an artificial, silly rule with a penalty out of proportion to the offence.

It didn't matter who gained or lost from it, it just left a bad taste for all concerned.

All in the cause of talent identification.

Last edited by Lee on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Anti-density Rule Empty Re: Anti-density Rule

Post by bayman Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:58 am

That's just another step towards becoming aflsa.....bringing "local rules" like that is disgraceful, any recruiter/talent spotter worth their salt should be able to pick out the better players in normal competition
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:25 pm

Is it fair to suggest that this rule is another glaring example of the poor direction leadership from the sanfl board.

Bayman is right reference the observers and the rule should be discontinued asap.
oldfella
oldfella

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down