has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ?

+17
Cambridge Clarrie
ca
PhilH
howthewestwaswon
rover
topsywaldron
Admin
Millsy
Adelaide Hawk
Lee
Big Phil
Brucetiki
countrycousin
Chambo Off To Work We Go
spell_check
Southee
bayman
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ? Empty has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ?

Post by bayman Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 pm

next week for round 1 we have two night games, one on the friday & one on the saturday, the AFL has a one only match on the saturday night, i'm suggesting that our league has stuffed up by having this weeks round as it is instead of one game friday night & three games on the saturday (or even two saturday & one on sunday), as i said i think this has been stuffed up with poor foresight into the program

what do you guys think ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ? Empty Re: has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ?

Post by Southee Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Don't know why there was not all 4 games ???

Strange programming has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ? 1344700888
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ? Empty Re: has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ?

Post by spell_check Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:48 pm

They should just call it "part of Round 19"; from my point of view, it adds an extra round when it's not really an extra round.
spell_check
spell_check

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Wouldn't you want to kick off the season with bang?
2 games is hardly a bang for the 5 clubs who miss out.
I don't get it.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:36 pm

I commented on this on another forum when the program was first released. They have missed a golden opportunity to promote the opening of the 2012 season with virtually no competition from Big Brother across the border. I didn't understand it then and I've seen no explanation to make me change my mind. has the league stuffed up the round 1 program ? 1344700888
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:39 pm

The crazy thing is there's only one AFL match on next week, and the SANFL put a match on to clash with it Shocked

Also, are the lights are Thebby ready to go?

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 pm

The reason for the 'strange' programming in Round 1 lies in the teams that aren't playing.

The byes, for the participating clubs, is to accommodate those involved in the Foxtel Cup and ensuring that it works in to that schedule as well.\

In regards to the lights at Thebby, Mick Godden said on RPH tonight that the towers arrived when they should have but the heavy rain yesterday limited the access required to certain areas.

At this stage, he has advised it is still going ahead on the Friday night but stay tuned for updates if things change.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:15 pm

I could only hear the second half of tonight'sshow, Phil, but enjoyed the interviews with Roy Laird and Michael Godden.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks R&B, appreciate that.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:23 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Wouldn't you want to kick off the season with bang?
2 games is hardly a bang for the 5 clubs who miss out.
I don't get it.

I think the whole program for 2012 is a pig's breakfast, not just the opening round. They really should leave the drinking until AFTER the meetings down at Footy Park.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 am

Further to that Sturt have 2 byes in the first 4 rounds.
That won't help this Membership Drive one bit.

Would it be fair to say the draw is structured on what is happening elsewehre, rather than what we want in our comp?

If so, a bit cart before the horse perhaps.
Probably not that black and white, but the balance seems a bit out in my view.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Admin Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:39 pm

You're probably right about the draw this year, but it's referred to in our interview with Darren Chandler, posted earlier.

There wasn't room to expand on what else was said in that interview, but our understanding is that it's prepared independently, takes into account each club's specific requests and has to take in the Foxtel Cup commitments, as well as the State game this year.

I think blaming the SANFL is only valid if someone could come up with a fair draw that allows for each of those things.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by topsywaldron Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:02 pm

Admin wrote:I think blaming the SANFL is only valid if someone could come up with a fair draw that allows for each of those things.

Which is an infantile response.

How is it that the Foxtel Cup is more important than the SANFL competition? It's the only inference that can be drawn from this year's appalling round one.

What a monumental disgrace this current SANFL administration is.

topsywaldron
topsywaldron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Whether it's an infantile comment is in the eye of the beholder, topsy, and whether you would be happy with 5 byes during the season.

It's only you who is inferring that they think Foxtel Cup is more important than the SANFL. They don't. I think a more likely interpretation is that they regard it as a fait accompli. Their only alternative is to refuse to participate, which really would be infantile (and costly). We've been through this before and nobody has ever been able to give a rational explanation of where the SANFL would be if they cut ties with the governing body.

That's a different matter from agreeing with everything the AFL does. I don't.

As for the SANFL being a disgrace, what reasons do you have apart from that fitting your own views? Crowds are up and I don't see any scandals?

Oh, I noticed that I was called an AFL 'apologist' on another site (not by your good self) before the post was deleted for inappropriate content. I'm not sure that 24 years service as a volunteer for a struggling SANFL club and rarely attending AFL games backs up that argument.

It's a debatable issue and I don't think having an opposing view makes it infantile, but I certainly respect and share your passion for the SANFL.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by topsywaldron Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:50 pm

redandblack wrote:nobody has ever been able to give a rational explanation of where the SANFL would be if they cut ties with the governing body.

If every decision the SANFL make is based on the assumption that disagreeing with the AFL is going to be seen as 'cutting ties' then we may as well call ourselves AFLSA now and be done with it.

No one has yet to give me a rational argument as to why the SANFL have made a pigs ear of the draw for a competition the majority of its own clubs want no part of.

Would declining to play in the Foxtel Cup be another of the decisions that the SANFL isn't allowed to make?
topsywaldron
topsywaldron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:33 pm

Well,the Foxtel Cup is a reality and it didn't hurt any of the teams last year. Why would the SANFL refuse to participate if three of its sides want to play?

For the SANFL to bury its head in the sand and not participate would be insular thinking in the extreme. If they participate, the draw has to be structured with it included.

The effect it has on the draw is hardly a major problem, except to those who want to dwell on the perceived negatives. Nobody has yet constructed a draw that accommodates the Foxtel Cup and State game and is any better.

Why would the SANFL refuse to partcipate anyway, except to be precious? It's called dealing with the realities of life.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 pm

redandblack wrote:Nobody has yet constructed a draw that accommodates the Foxtel Cup and State game and is any better.

How do you know that to be true? And, even if someone did come up with a better fixture, what good would it do? The SANFL is not about to say, "Hey, this person has a more workable fixture. Let's scrap ours and adopt theirs".
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Agreed, AH, but I'm just making the point that constructing a universally popular draw around the Foxtel Cup and a State game isn't an easy task. Many have demanded it, but I haven't seen an alternative draw or even an alternative workable proposal.

It's also a fact that several of the features of the draw that have been criticised have actually been requested by the clubs.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:07 am

Good answer, Millsy. I think the problem is having 5 byes if they don't do it as they have. 5 byes is just too many for the clubs, I think.

It wouldbe interesting to know what the clubs think of the draw, wouldn't it.

Perhaps TFSA could try to find out, it would be an intersting exercise.

It's almost that Round 1 is an 'extra' early round to rectify this.

I suppose the proof will come with the season's crowd numbers.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by rover Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:03 am

redandblack wrote:Good answer, Millsy. I think the problem is having 5 byes if they don't do it as they have. 5 byes is just too many for the clubs, I think.

It wouldbe interesting to know what the clubs think of the draw, wouldn't it.

Perhaps TFSA could try to find out, it would be an intersting exercise.

It's almost that Round 1 is an 'extra' early round to rectify this.

I suppose the proof will come with the season's crowd numbers.

If the Thebby game proceeds on Friday night between the Weagles and Port I'm predicting a bigger crowd at the Parade between Norwood and Sturt even though it is only a trial match.
rover
rover

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:53 pm

I think Granty was venting his disappointment more at the small number of night games Central were allocated (2) despite getting the lights upgraded.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Millsy wrote:Going back on adelaidenow . Kris grant CDFC CEO seems to be the only Sanfl official who made any disparaging comments about the draw.

Are Central becoming the Collingwood of the SANFL competition? scratch

Not everything can go your way Kris! Evil or Very Mad
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next