R13 - Adelaide vs Brisbane - Port BYE

4 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

R13 - Adelaide vs Brisbane - Port BYE Empty R13 - Adelaide vs Brisbane - Port BYE

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Adelaide are off to Brisbane to play the Lions on Saturday afternoon.

IMO opinion they really need a convincing win in this one to kick start any potential run to September.

Up until this point they have been doing enough to stay in the hunt - but they really haven't produced their best football yet.

The injury list is shrinking now, and they are getting close to their best team on the park.

The time is now.

Will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the side. Henderson got through an SANFL game and performed very well, while Brad Crouch has been cleared of any ongoing foot issues after he had a bit of soreness after his comeback SANFL game a couple weeks ago.

My guess is that Henderson will come in, while Crouch will play another game in the SANFL (unfortunately - I really want this kid back in! Safety first though).
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R13 - Adelaide vs Brisbane - Port BYE Empty Re: R13 - Adelaide vs Brisbane - Port BYE

Post by Paul Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:13 am

Adelaide by 18
Port should just be able to avoid a loss this weekend, at least I can be safe knowing they won't be responsible for my tips this time Rolling Eyes
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

R13 - Adelaide vs Brisbane - Port BYE Empty Re: R13 - Adelaide vs Brisbane - Port BYE

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:08 am

Someone had to crack the 'bye' joke, thank you Paul! Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:12 am

Comedy GOLD, isn't it?

Anywho....

Brisbane surprised many with their first half against the Bulldogs last week then the second half would have been too much to bear for some Brisbane fans. 14 goals to 6 after half time and the Doggies carry on their merry way. Adelaide hosted the Power Rangers and whilst they showed they are capable of matching the top sides in plenty of areas they also showed they still have some homework to hand in from the last year or two. Giving sides a lead and then pegging it back is a taxing style and Adelaide have been doing this too often over the last couple of years. Perhaps skill errors that seem to be the biggest talking point at Adelaide ( other than Particks signature, geez, I can’t wait to hear more about that again this afternoon, tonight, tomorrow morning....) are a result of the effort they have to exert to get back into the games after a slow start. Last week the Hawks had 6 goals in the first half hour.

With Brisbane really without any key forwards young McStay has stepped up to give them a target in the F50, he’s 194cm and 88kg so he’s no slip of a lad but he’s small on games played and senior experience with just 18 games under his belt, some more time into this lad and some sorely needed support might just see him turn into a genuine key forward option. I like the look of him.

So Adelaide get two mid season breaks, one last weekend to hit some sun and surf and this week they head up to get some more warmth in the North. The last time Adelaide went to ‘Vegas they busted the Bears a new one with a massive win away from home. I don’t see this one being quite so one sided but still expect Adelaide to show they are more about playing finals than not. Skipper Tex has a little bruise that might keep him out, ok, it’s not a little bruise it would be as sore as hell, I can’t see them risking him away from home where a flight there and back would not really help a corky like he’s sporting. Jacobs will have some opposition in Stefan Martin who is one of the few Lion recruits of late to be really worth his weight. Some newer arrivals like Christensen, Robinson and Beams will be more than handy inclusions but they have literally just got off the plane. Brisbane have yet to get the best out of them.

Adelaide comfortably, if they’re serious, by 39 points.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:23 am

Booney wrote:Comedy GOLD, isn't it?

Yes. Yes it is - and I will be rolling it out to the father-in-law when I see him this arvo. I'm obliged to.

Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:Comedy GOLD, isn't it?

Yes. Yes it is - and I will be rolling it out to the father-in-law when I see him this arvo. I'm obliged to.

Laughing

You're a clever man, come up with something original. Wink
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:39 pm

No idea how we won that.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:33 am

Paul wrote:No idea how we won that.

No question, that was about an ugly a win and you can get. A 3 quarter time I saw no way that we could win that game playing the brand of footy that we had for the first 3 quarters.

....and yet, like so many times already this year, we found a way to win. Again.

While I like most fans was less than impressed with the game overall, I have to say I take a lot of positives out of the way Adelaide are fighting out games and grinding out wins this season.

It indicates to me that they are getting a lot of the ground level fundamentals right, and that they are building a solid foundation through hard work. They still most certainly lack the polish required to become a top 4 side at this point - but unlike the 'false dawn' of 2012 I feel like they are on a slow burning improvement curve to more sustained success.

Some might scoff at that observation - but if you can still manage to win when your best players are down on form and confidence, you're only 6 months into a new coaches' game plan, and nearly half your 22 is sub 50 games - to me that indicates some real positives for the future.

Adelaide have shown some real ticker this season, and as someone who has criticized them for being too much 'hollywood', this pleases me greatly.

Of course I'd love for them to be playing a 'prettier' brand of footy, but I'm still very comfortable with their development and am confident that this will come in time and as confidence in their new coach, game plan and team mates grows.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:53 am

Had absolutely no right to win the game with the likes of Kelly (3 touches ),Hartigan (7), van Berlo (10), Betts (12) Cameron (13), McKay, Wright, Sloane (15) Smith, Douglas (18) hardly bothering the statisticians for long periods of time.

Jenkins, Walker and Betts kicking 2 each was the difference. Other than falling **** backwards into some possession forward of centre or some Lions turnovers Adelaide never looked like kicking a goal, let alone 6 in a quarter.

How does Cameron continue to get a game, let alone named in the best with the little impact he had on that contest Saturday afternoon?

I'm no footy expert by any stretch, but he was more important than Laird, Talia or even Ellis-Yoleman on the weekend? Please....
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:31 am

Laughing

While I don't disagree with your comments about Cameron - do small forwards make you nervous Booney?

You're dislike of them seems borderline phobic sometimes. Wink

Dangerfield only got 2 touches in the 3rd quarter as well I think.

I think Kelly might be due for a spell in the twos. Both Shaw and Lever doing okay for the SANFL side yesterday from what I heard.

On the flip side it was great to see Matt Crouch get a full game and have a significant impact. Pity his brother didn't even get through 5 minutes of the SANFL game yesterday.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:12 am

I quite like small forwards, Wingard, Rioli, Ballantyne are all great to watch.

It's probably more the "role" they are forced to play that has them, in essence, tackle and chase first, second and third and then try and get the ball if they've done that. Some sides I think structure up more reliant on the small forward doing that job, I guess Adelaide have Jenkins who, to be blunt, really struggles at ground level to offer any sort of pressure. As such Cameron is doing that work for him and Jenkins.

Kelly, Brown and Hartigan all would be nervous at selection this week.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 pm

I like Brown and he has played pretty well so far this year - but the way he got turned inside out by Hanley on the goal line was disgraceful.

There are quite a few players in the SANFL that have been pressing for selection with sustained good form. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Walsh rewards a few of them this week.

Could see both Shaw and Lever come in for Kelly and Hartigan.

I'm concerned about the lack of pace in the midfield at the moment too. Crouch & Thompson are great in the packs, but are very slow which doesn't help us when we don't have the footy. Brisbane were able to charge through the corridor far too easily far too often.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Agree re Brown and that incident but Van Berlo's handball just prior. Rolling Eyes
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Biggest problem for Adelaide is their appalling disposal efficiency. If they could hit targets and kick straight it would make all the difference.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:09 pm

Exactly. It really is the only aspect of their game letting them down at the moment. I honestly believe they could manufacture an extra 5 goals each game if they tidied that up (goals they could kick, and also goals they could save by not coughing up turnovers).
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:15 am

Booney wrote:How does Cameron continue to get a game, let alone named in the best with the little impact he had on that contest Saturday afternoon?

I'm no footy expert by any stretch

Rising star this week Very Happy
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:27 am

Paul wrote:
Booney wrote:How does Cameron continue to get a game, let alone named in the best with the little impact he had on that contest Saturday afternoon?

I'm no footy expert by any stretch

Rising star this week Very Happy

Only 6 games, must have been no rookies showing much... Shocked
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:56 am

The thought of Booney's reaction when that came up in my facebook newsfeed last night.... Shocked Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:42 am

Gingernuts wrote:The thought of Booney's reaction when that came up in my facebook newsfeed last night.... Shocked  Laughing

Fortunately I have more pressing matters in my life, but yes, I sure did.... Rolling Eyes
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum