Salary Cap Rationale

+2
countrycousin
Ben W
6 posters

Go down

Salary Cap Rationale Empty Salary Cap Rationale

Post by Ben W Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 am

Why is it that the SANFL clubs have to be subject to a Salary Cap, yet the Port Adelaide and Adelaide Crows teams in the SANFL are not?
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Salary Cap Rationale Empty Re: Salary Cap Rationale

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:01 am

One of the most obvious and ridiculous aspects to this new system in my opinion. How can anyone possibly justify why the anomaly should be allowed to exist in supposedly a fair and even competition.

I understand the rationale for a salary cap and to the 8 clubs that exist under it, it probably necessary on financial grounds. But the other 2 to be outside this is just wrong.

How do you fix it? Either get rid of the 2 clubs or remove the cap. Both unlikely to happen.

The result is a comp that isn't a level playing field (or even close) for all. And why I am becoming more ambivalent about it as time goes on.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:26 pm

As I've always said, the biggest problem is that a 'top-up' player is their Best and Fairest and on very big money and other top-up players of note are presumably happy to play Reserves on the off-chance they'll get a league game for $400 now and again.

Hopefully this will be worked through.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:30 pm

With respect, I think comparing the salaries of Crows and Power players in their SANFL reserves teams, with the salary cap on the other 8 clubs, is comparing apples and bananas. We all know that the situation is not ideal. It's a compromise that pleases nobody, but right now it's making the best of a bad lot. At least we've put essential limits on their top up players, which is really all we can do. The fact that on any given day we're likely to come up against an AFL player who's getting paid more than our own club's entire cap, is something we're stuck with. Removing the SANFL salary cap would just put us back into the kind of rat race that would quickly send most of the 8 clubs bankrupt. If I had a realistic alternative suggestion, trust me you'd definitely hear about it. Laughing
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:36 pm

In reference to Lee's post, that just preceded mine, Yes I agree, there is a need to look at fine tuning the system, to remove the anomaly mentioned.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrots12 Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:56 pm

Lee wrote:As I've always said, the biggest problem is that a 'top-up' player is their Best and Fairest and on very big money and other top-up players of note are presumably happy to play Reserves on the off-chance they'll get a league game for $400 now and again.

Hopefully this will be worked through.

They're allowed one of these aren't they? Callinan and Summerton from memory? Are you suggesting stricter rules on top ups Lee? How would the Crows be competitive with that?
Carrots12
Carrots12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:10 pm

Yes, they're allowed one 'marque' player, but he must be 28 years old minimum.

So Port pay Summerton $400 a week presumably for last year and this year and presumably he gets paid $100K or similar next year.

Legal? Yes.

Spirit of the agreement? Port Adelaide.

For the record I accept the new competition as fact. I think Adelaide have stuck to the rules and the spirit of it.

I think Port have stuck to the rules.

So be it, Norwood beat them and it's up to the other clubs to do likewise.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrots12 Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:36 pm

Lee wrote:Yes, they're allowed one 'marque' player, but he must be 28 years old minimum.

So Port pay Summerton $400 a week presumably for last year and this year and presumably he gets paid $100K or similar next year.

Legal?  Yes.

Spirit of the agreement?  Port Adelaide.

For the record I accept the new competition as fact.  I think Adelaide have stuck to the rules and the spirit of it.

I think Port have stuck to the rules.

So be it, Norwood beat them and it's up to the other clubs to do likewise.

That was last year but didn't the SANFL say to Port that they could only have Summerton as their marquee player for this year?
Carrots12
Carrots12

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Sat May 02, 2015 1:21 pm

a few points...

1. There is absolutely no way that SANFL clubs can afford an increase in the salary cap; it would send most of the clubs to the wall.

2. The Power reserves are operating under an open ended salary cap..true.. When we played Port on Rd 2 they fielded a side with 21 AFL players + Summerton. John Butchers salary for the year would be greater than Souths league and reserves combined. A ridiculous situation. Since Rd 2 injury and suspension have combined to deplete the Power reserves side. Missing from the at Rd 2 side currently are Krakouer, Ah Chee, Young and Moore- virtually the midfield that they played in Rd 2 all promoted injured or suspended. Luck of the draw you might say but we struck them earlier in the season when they had a full list, superior fitness than any sanfl side at the time because of the tougher traaining regime; and also on a friday night when all of our guys had been working all day. Its not a level playing field by any stretch of the imagination.

3. The solution. Instead of the AFL wasting its copious quantities of cash on mindless ideas like International rules and pouring heaps of cash into development in NSW and Qld, why not introduce an AFL reserves competition?? the AFL clubs and the AFL could fund it easily.

4. The SANFL has to get tough on country clubs and the SFL and Amateur leagues with regard to their salary caps. Up until now they are smacking them over the head with a feather. there are plenty of players in the bush getting far more than the average sanfl player. its killing the game in the bush and its eroding the depth of the SANFL clubs.
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sat May 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Point 3 = cheers

And they almost have one already in the NEAFL.
I can't see why it is so hard to extend the AFL clubs that have VFL teams into it.

I really think the long term sustainability of the AFL clubs needs to explore a two tiered system.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down