all we need now is for port to pay back 17.5 million $
blacky
blacky

My club : west

Back to top Go down

SANFL West Lakes Deal Announced Empty Re: SANFL West Lakes Deal Announced

Post by bayman Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:24 pm

blacky wrote:all we need now is for port to pay back 17.5 million $

you & i have more chances of winning the major prize in cross lotto & oz lotto together in the same week
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:29 am

Recent facts and figures relaesed by the SANFL should put the lie to the notion that it's the SANFL who are being 'greedy' in the stadium deal negotiations.

TheSANFL lent Port another $1.5 million this year, bringing the total assistance to over $16 million. That meant Port started with a 'clean slate'.

Despite getting $4 million more revenue fromAdelaide Oval than last year, they will still lose about $2 million.

Perhaps it's time to investigate where Port is spending the money?

Dubai?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:12 am

Fire Sale, forced by the AFL and Westpac. I fear for the future of traditional club footy in South Australia.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2775/
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:29 pm

I don't think it was a fire sale, cc.

I think there would have been several bids (not totally sure, but I think so) and $70 million would seem OK.

It will retire debt and give the SANFl a continuing income over the next 12 or so years, along with the stadium return each year.

More likely is that the AFL clubs now have to look at their spending.

I think the SANFL and clubs will be OK.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:34 pm

You may be right Lee. I'm probably getting old and grumpy. But when I see Gillon McLachlan over here, pressuring the SANFL over its share of the AO revenues, my hackles automatically rise. Mad
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Along with mine, cc.

You've nailed it.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:43 pm

This can only be a positive move by the SANFL and should remove all debt.

Paying of the money owed to the AFL is a bonus, and no more bail outs for the power from the state league ($16 million in the last 5 years)
With the SANFL's dividend from the Adelaide Oval things are looking good.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by sanflman Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Lee wrote:Recent facts and figures relaesed by the SANFL should put the lie to the notion that it's the SANFL who are being 'greedy' in the stadium deal negotiations.

TheSANFL lent Port another $1.5 million this year, bringing the total assistance to over $16 million.  That meant Port started with a 'clean slate'.

Despite getting $4 million more revenue fromAdelaide Oval than last year, they will still lose about $2 million.

Dubai?

Lee, to put your comments in some context (I know you wouldn't want to be seen as promoting a biased opinion) do you know how much Port games raised for the SANFL at AAMI Stadium over the time that the SANFL gave the $16 million worth of assistance?
sanflman
sanflman

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:02 am

Oh, my opinion IS biased, sanflman.

Like all of us Very Happy

I'd say Port didn't raise anywhere near enough to sustain itself or the SANFL, thus requiring $16 million in bail out funding.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by sanflman Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:01 am

Lee wrote:Oh, my opinion IS biased, sanflman.

Like all of us Very Happy

I'd say Port didn't raise anywhere near enough to sustain itself or the SANFL, thus requiring $16 million in bail out funding.

If you don't know, you'll at least agree the $16m was given at a time where the SANFL benefitted in Port matches being played at AAMI Stadium (through catering and ticketing) and at a time where the SANFL owned the Port license, meaning as the 'parent company', it was responsible for Port debts?

It annoys me when people's bias stops them from apportioning responsibility onto those who deserve it. The SANFL board members should have ultimately been the ones preventing the $16m debt from happening. That's why I can only surmise that they benefitted by more than $16m over the period of ownership.

As for Port making a loss now, that's their responsibility. No one to fall back on now that they own their license.
sanflman
sanflman

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:54 am

The only people responsible for how Port Adelaide spent its money, and for its inability to attract sufficient corporate sponsorship was Port Adelaide.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:43 am

Flag No.9 wrote:The only people responsible for how Port Adelaide spent its money, and for its inability to attract sufficient corporate sponsorship was Port Adelaide.

off course it is, spot on Flag No.9..............i don't know the answer to this so i'll ask, over the years how many ''coaches'' in the coaching box etc have they had compared to the other franchises in the AFL ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:42 am

Sanflman, refer to Flag No 9's post.

It's equally annoying when people look to shift blame.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:17 pm

thought of the day.......let's go to the bank, get a $16 million loan & hope they'll say don't worry about paying it back
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by sanflman Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Lee wrote:Sanflman, refer to Flag No 9's post.

It's equally annoying when people look to shift blame.

No blame shifting here Lee.

Absolutely it was Ports responsibility where they spent their money and where they werent able to generate corporate funds. But it was the SANFL Boards responsibility to make the decision to keep funding them to the tune of $16m.

There's no use whinging about it now, the SANFL Board made the decision to fund it and to not ask for it to be repaid when they sold Ports license back to them. Clearly Port had a responsibility to live within their means but my question remains (and maybe it's obvious to you as a Board member of an SANFL Club - it's not to me as a lay man) why did the SANFL Board continue to fund them if it wasn't ultimately in their and the SANFL Clubs interests?
sanflman
sanflman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:43 pm

Well, I'm not an SANFL Board Member, so I can only guess.

My guess is that without that $16 million, Port would have had to fold, or shift interstate at best.

I doubt it would have occurred to them to seriously contemplate letting them fold. In any event, they would have wanted to protrct their original investment.

Even with an extra $4 million this year, Port will post a $2 million loss. It's an open question as to how they budget, but I note they're off to Dubai.

There are probably no absolute rights or wrongs here, but my feeling is that Port have reason to be grateful to the SANFL.

They're certainly not in a position to lecture the SANFL about anything, IMO.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:09 pm

sanflman wrote:
Lee wrote:Recent facts and figures relaesed by the SANFL should put the lie to the notion that it's the SANFL who are being 'greedy' in the stadium deal negotiations.

TheSANFL lent Port another $1.5 million this year, bringing the total assistance to over $16 million.  That meant Port started with a 'clean slate'.

Dubai?

Lee, to put your comments in some context (I know you wouldn't want to be seen as promoting a biased opinion) do you know how much Port games raised for the SANFL at AAMI Stadium over the time that the SANFL gave the $16 million worth of assistance?

And you do know that was always in the agreement that Port entered into? I fail to see the relevance of that line each time it get's trotted out.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Lee wrote:They're certainly not in a position to lecture the SANFL about anything, IMO.

It is an interesting comparison though. The SANFL similarly seems to have many clubs over extending themselves with the $$ in the belief/hope that the best way of reversing their fortunes is by being competitive on the field. Im not sure they have the same safety net though?
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Fair point, Scrunch.

Clubs see the necessity to be competitive, otherwise people stop turning up, bar and gaming income drops and they're in trouble.

I think we'll see several clubs spending less on recruiting and transfer fees and rely on interstate country recruiting and local juniors.

It's a difficult time for many clubs. There are a few with strong backers or a strong balance sheet, but most are struggling.

The upshot of recent events is that the SANFL no longer hold AFL licences or run a stadium. That means grassroots football and the SANFL in particular is their focus now.

I applaud them to try to get the best deal possible, as this is the lifeblood for the future of the SANFL. I think the SANFL and the clubs will be closer in future.

As for the stadium deal, before we work out who is the villain and who is pure, I'd wait for the final result.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:14 pm

The SANFL did own the licence no qualms with that but it would seem that port took advantage of there 'parent company' paying of THERE debts on a regular occasion.

Just as a hypothecal, I buy a house and borrow $500,000 from the bank (so they really own it until the loan is paid) and in the time I am paying the loan of I buy a new car, go on a holiday, do renovations to the house, who pays for all of these debts, not the bank (the parent company) I do. Just another angle of looking at it.

I really don't give a toss what happens from now on as we are done with them, but apparently they will lose $2,000,000 this year and that is with a financial guru as there president. No
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:01 pm

That's a very good post Lee. A view from the inside. Hopefully you're right, when you say that the SANFL and it's constituent clubs should be closer in future, than has been the case over the past decade or so, with the distraction of trying to keep the two AFL licenses viable. I was a bit grumpy about the West Lakes deal the other day. A knee jerk reaction, but I guess that given all the circumstances, particularly their debt level, they would have made the best deal they could get.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:23 am

Anyone care to calculate how much rent would be at Footy Park for the AFC per year?

As they pay nothing, and haven't for 25 years, I wonder what sort of figure could be arrived at?

It also has come to light the SANFL foot a $1.3m bill to keep Footy Park up to standard for Adelaide to train on. That's generous seeing the AFC is no longer owned by the SANFL.

Didn't the SANFL also appoint a member to Port's board to monitor things, from the "inside"? If so, who was that and what was their report?

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:29 am

Well unfortunately the AFC didn't evolve from a club with existing infrastructure.

I think it's fair that there's some sort of managed cutover process for these things now that the AFC is no longer aligned to the SANFL.

The SANFL can't just cut the AFC loose and then start posting bills to them.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum