SANFL and VFL Curtain Raiser Matches 2015

4 posters

Go down

SANFL and VFL Curtain Raiser Matches 2015  Empty SANFL and VFL Curtain Raiser Matches 2015

Post by Ben W Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:36 pm

Interesting piece in the paper today, Collingwood have formerly applied to the AFL to have their VFL side play their matches as Curtain Raisers to their AFL matches. The article goes on to state that AFL house are putting back on the table the idea of Curtain Raiser matches in the AFL. He then discusses the experience that the AFC had at Football Park when it was tried.

Personally I was a little surprised last season when Crows-Magpies "home" matches were not put on before the AFL matches. I suspected that for the same reasons as Collingwood they would both want to do the same, and I don't just wonder if they might like also to be on the table for discussion for 2015?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/push-from-afl-house-for-curtainraisers-to-afl-games-must-not-involve-sanfl-clubs/story-fni2u98u-1227120675234
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

SANFL and VFL Curtain Raiser Matches 2015  Empty Re: SANFL and VFL Curtain Raiser Matches 2015

Post by Aceman Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:49 pm

As long as Norwood dont ever have to play in a curtain raiser Im not fussed what the two AFL sides do
Aceman
Aceman

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

SANFL and VFL Curtain Raiser Matches 2015  Empty Re: SANFL and VFL Curtain Raiser Matches 2015

Post by countrycousin Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:52 pm

Aceman wrote:As long as Norwood dont ever have to play in a curtain raiser Im not fussed what the two AFL sides do
Add Sturt to the list too, so far as I'm concerned. Rucci sums up the objections perfectly, in the second half of the article. My God I'm agreeing with Rucci. What's happening to me? Shocked
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:12 am

I tend to agree - apart from the last sentence.

Port and Adelaide haven't 'done a fine job' of putting on curtain raiser games.

Every few weeks they might have a curtain raiser with a bit of interest, but most of the time they're just 'half oval' games between overweight corporate or competition winners. Hardly exciting.

Personally I'd love to see SANFL curtain raisers - but in practice I don't see how they could work, for all the reasons Rucci listed.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:38 am

Personally I think a compromise could be reached on playing the Reserves matches - after the main game if the time is appropriate such as playing a twilight or evening match after an afternoon AFL game. People can stay on, they can leave catering facilites open and the venue can continue to make money and tickets can be sold to those entering after the main game has finished from a specific gate.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down