bayman
Scrunch
A Mum
Paul
Gingernuts
9 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Port v St Kilda & Adelaide v Fremantle Empty Port v St Kilda & Adelaide v Fremantle

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:27 am

On to this week's games.....

Port v St Kilda will be a slaughter I reckon. Port have made the AO an imposing place and the crowd will ensure a 10 goal victory at least, even if a few players with niggles don't get up for the Power.

Adelaide v Fremantle could go 2 ways depending on what Adelaide side turns up. Witnessing the game on the weekend live I couldn't help but feel that the side seemed the most settled it's been since the season started. Having Walker up and about certainly helps with the structure, and the injection of experienced defenders Otten & Rutten down back seems to have dialled down some of the 'panicky' mistakes that have marred many games this year.

I think Adelaide are a real chance this week personally, but I'll defer the final say to sapaul who has been quite accurate with his Adelaide form predictions this year!

Discuss away.....
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Port v St Kilda & Adelaide v Fremantle Empty Re: Port v St Kilda & Adelaide v Fremantle

Post by Paul Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:46 am

Was wrong last weekend, even said to put the house on Gold Coast. Here I am typing under a tree.

Can't see us beating Freo, be surprised if it's a blowout though. 13 goals to 8 or something I'm expecting. Won't be pretty. Our next 7 weeks are mostly tough. Need to win possibly 3 (even though only 1 is a certainty if there is such a thing). Our last 5 are all winnable.

Freo by 33
Port by 33 goals. Nah Richo would know a bit about them but Port should have got a wakeup call last weekend, at home easily. If Port are on song, could easily hit triple figures.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Port v St Kilda & Adelaide v Fremantle Empty Re: Port v St Kilda & Adelaide v Fremantle

Post by A Mum Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:47 pm

It will be tough - and yes depends what team the Crows bring along - but I think they'd be very keen to show that they can put in as good as last week. So here's hoping they get the job done.

And yes Port, well it's just by how much really. Supposed to be fairly clear weather by then too which obviously helps for clean footy.

So I'll go:
Crows 17 points.
Port 81 points.

Lets see how far out I am  Very Happy 

Who does Crowley normally line up on?
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:44 pm

I think your assessment of the Port v Saints game is spot on Ginger.

But whilst I think the Crows generally go "ok" in the West v Freo, I think the Dockers are quietly starting to move up a gear and I'd expect them to shut the Crows down. Just don't think the Crows will have the confidence or courage thats required to play through their defensive press. Dockers by 5 or 6 goals for mine.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:36 pm

the old high/low double here, i think Port is a big chance of getting the highest score for the round & the opposite can be said for Adelaide, i think they're on target to get the lowest score of the round, Port by plenty & about the same margin in a Freo win
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:52 pm

Port and Fremantle to win. I'll elaborate more later.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:02 pm

Not sold on a port 10+ goal win TBH. We are in a little bit of a lull post the bye, and with some injuries to key personnel, I would be happy with the points regardless of the margin. In saying this though- I did here a rumour that 7-8 players were struck down with gastro on the friday, so a large win wouldnt surprise me if we go in with a squad that isnt so tentative to collect the ground ball  Laughing 

Freo v Adelaide is an interesting one. You cant predict these games because not even the crows have any idea what they will dish up!

Freo is the safe bet here by 20 points.
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:24 am

Jacobs is in doubt Ginge.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:43 am

On MMM Monday he said himself that would definitely play. I reckon he'll get up.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Well, it was the dumb Adelaide who rocked up today.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:06 pm

I thought that extended to the coaching box as well today.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:07 pm

sapaul wrote:Can't see us beating Freo, be surprised if it's a blowout though. 13 goals to 8 or something I'm expecting. Won't be pretty.

Freo by 33

Wasn't far off with all of that.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Really don't have much to say about today's game. Looked good in the first, but it didn't take long for Freo to assert control and eventually dominate the contest.

A lot of passengers, too many to list really.

TBH I could just cut and paste my post from the Melbourne & Carlton games.

All that said, I doubt even the most optimistic Adelaide fans would have put a 'W' next to that game at the start of the season.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:33 pm

My thoughts on the power v saints match:

Well after 2 weeks of uninspiring wins, and a host of our stars under performing- one could be forgiven for thinking we needed to win, and win big in this one to be any chance against the swannies. Well I sit here after a 70 point win, and 3 big names set to return- thinking hopefully we have done enough to give ourselves the best possible chance to firm as premiership faves by next Saturday night.

Last night though wasn't all easy. As was the game against Melbourne, we started strongly with the 1st 4 goals and looked headed for a big night. Then came the lapse. As per the Melbourne game, we slipped into cruise mode, completely rid ourselves of the fundamentals of our game style, and cockiness and laziness crept in. As can so often be the case when you play the bottom sides, sometimes you can be sucked into their defensive smother, but I began to get fed up with our look away handballs, cheeky kicks, zoning off. Its all well and good to pick your moments for that sort of stuff, especially when your 10 goals up, but when your 2 goals up halfway through the 2nd quarter, it smacks of arrogance, and really good sides will slam on 4-5 goals and leave you looking right royal mugs.

Thankfully- whatever was said to the group at half time (Schulzy, Kenny), completely switched us on, and out came the port we have come to know and love this season. We defended really well, picking our moments to zone off, spread and switch the play. Our midfield began to win centre clearances at will, and got the footy into our forward line at such a pace to allow 1 on 1 contests, and gave our forwards a chance to work their magic- and work their magic they did. Schulz, Gray and Chad finished with 10 goals, Our stars all worked their way back into form, and it allowed our 2nd stringers and youngsters to play cameo roles. Overall a pleasing performance, but still a way to go.

My best players:

Hamish Hartlett- Some port supporting work colleagues and I discussed the idea of sending Hammer back through the Magpies this week to "punish" him for the indiscretion against the Hawks- Quite obviously Ken had other ideas, believing Hamish had served his punishment, and boy did hammer have a point to prove, and trust to be re-earned. He did both in splendid fashion. 36 possessions, 5 tackles, 8 marks, a 60 meter sausage roll, and that was almost the complete game. Imagine if we could see that on a regular basis port fans? St. Kilda gave him far too much latitude across HB to pick off loose footy and Hamish needs little time to hit up targets. He and Polec in the same side offer port alarming flexibility with quality ball users, and we saw the effect on Polec when Hamish wasnt in the side, indicating he is an important piece of ports premiership puzzle.

Robbie Gray- I've run out of superlatives for this man. He is now elite in my eyes. Great above his head, one of the very best on the ground, super difficult to tackle, smart around goals, he has the complete bag of tricks. I'll stand by my call this week that he will be comfortably leading ports B&F at this point, would be a walk up start in the AA side, and is firming week by week as a challenger to GAJ for the ultimate individual accolade. 25 touches, 4 goals, 3 assists, 3 tackles. Genuine out and out A grader.

Jarman Impey- 4 weeks ago there were calls for this lad to be put back to the magpies to find touch. Enormous faith was shown by Hinkley to not only keep him in the side, but give him arguably his toughest match up in Balllantyne. Since that day he has hardly looked back and went to new heights on saturday afternoon. 20 touches (at 90% DE), 5 rebound 50's (a team high), 3 I50's and a superb pick up and goal was absolutely mouthwatering. Very excited for what this lad offers us- he looks composed in 1 on 1's, knows when to take the game on, and is growing week by week. Will play about as important a role as any against Parker/McGlynn this saturday afternoon.

Chad Wingard- No port player can lay claim to a great first half. Enter the wizadry of Wingard. Seriously- when he goes into freak mode like that he is just about unstoppable, and after half time, just reached into his (deep) bag of tricks and added more to an already amazing highlights reel. That mark was something special and left me with serious trouser movement, and add 20+ touches, 3 goals and assists to that, and you have the ultimate Chad Wingard game. Call this lad what you like- he is a bloody gem to watch- The amount of kids I saw on Saturday night with #20 on their backs- he is worth 10-15,000 bums on seats alone.

Matthew Lobbe- Forget the hitout stat- Longer is young and I would have been disappointed in Lobbes had he not destroyed that count, but 11 touches, 8 tackles (2nd to Ebert for the game), and a goal and you have a fair night out for the big fella. Would still like him to impose himself around the ground a bit more, but you cant ask much more of a man that is so so so important to our hopes for 2014. Just keep doing what you are doing son.

Moving forward to the biggest test of 2014- Will Franklin cop a week? Will Tippett miss? Would you like to see us play a full strength Sydney outfit to really gauge where we are at? Will be the least bit surprised to see us drop this one, but all I ask for is competitiveness. Serve up the sh*t in the 2nd quarter and we will get cleaned up- bring4 quarters similar to the last half and we will snare the points and shoot to favouritism.

Can.Not.WAIT for saturday.

Carn the pear!
valleys07
valleys07

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:41 am

sapaul wrote:
sapaul wrote:Can't see us beating Freo, be surprised if it's a blowout though. 13 goals to 8 or something I'm expecting. Won't be pretty.

Freo by 33

Wasn't far off with all of that.

You done well.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:03 am

Scrunch wrote:I think your assessment of the Port v Saints game is spot on Ginger.

But whilst I think the Crows generally go "ok" in the West v Freo, I think the Dockers are quietly starting to move up a gear and I'd expect them to shut the Crows down. Just don't think the Crows will have the confidence or courage thats required to play through their defensive press. Dockers by 5 or 6 goals for mine.

Nor that.

The Crows are a reasonable 9th or 10th side that should beat all the teams below them but wont. And will be lucky to jag a win against a top 8 side. Crows supporters need to be harder in their judgement imho.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks for that terrific post, Valleys,
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:50 am

Sanderson said in his presser after the game that 7 Adelaide players had less than 10 possessions. Dear oh dear.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 am

North Melbourne are 3 from 3 this year outside Victoria.

Won in Sydney and twice in Perth.

Surely that can't continue  Rolling Eyes 
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:52 pm

redandblack wrote:Thanks for that terrific post, Valleys,

cheers 

No worries R&B- glad you enjoyed the read!
valleys07
valleys07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:10 am

valleys07 wrote: Moving forward to the biggest test of 2014- Will Franklin cop a week? Will Tippett miss? Would you like to see us play a full strength Sydney outfit to really gauge where we are at? Will be the least bit surprised to see us drop this one, but all I ask for is competitiveness. Serve up the sh*t in the 2nd quarter and we will get cleaned up- bring4 quarters similar to the last half and we will snare the points and shoot to favouritism.

Can.Not.WAIT for saturday.

Carn the pear!

Yes, great post valleys07.

Port just seem to have an irresistible momentum at the moment. I think I've said this before - but they have become the perfect model of how a club can rebuild quickly after a period at the bottom of the ladder.

In answer to the above, I was thinking about this weeks game while driving in to work this morning and had a revelation. I think I hate Sydney more than Port these days (in fact Port isn't even really on the list anymore, it's hard to hate a team that plays such an attractive brand of football).

I'm finding myself hoping that Port lay some serious smackdown on them.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:04 am

Oh Ginge...you're not turning, are you?  Very Happy 

It will be a cracking game this week, unfortunately/fortunately I will be up in The Flinders at the Quorn Racing Club for the Quorn Cup with about 8 mates (hiccup) so as much as Saturday will be a cracking day, I'll miss the footy.

I'll record it and check it out Sunday when I get home.

My early tip, if Tippett misses, a narrow Port win.

As for your Crows Ginge.....I don't know.

Jeansch, Brown, Jenkins, Rutten, McKay, Cameron ( despite 3 first half goals ), Betts, Posdiadly.....mate, they all were average on Sunday and would all get the finger pointed at them this week.

Sam Shaw must come back in, or Hartigan, and I can't believe Sanderson suggesting Crouch ( x2 ) need another SANFL game when the AFL side is screaming for ball winners who use it well.

North will touch you up this week and you can look towards September for a nice little family getaway.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm

I think this round showcased the biggest difference between Port and Adelaide, and why one team is the best in the comp to this point and the other is average.
Look at the way Fremantle strangled Adelaide when the ball was in the Dockers forward 50. Crow players were panicking and slamming the ball on the boot just to clear it. Problem was, thats part of the Fremantle plan and they have players set up to bang it straight back in again. There's no shame in it, Fremantle do it to most of the average and poor teams and often the good ones also.
Port however, stay positive and take it on, working through it with handball before a lethal counterattack. Only the good teams can do this and it can't be successfully introduced overnight (or so we thought before KH arrived at Alberton).
Adelaide doesn't possess enough players with speed, composure and skill standing up under pressure.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:20 pm

Jenkins got the finger pointed at his at 3 quarter time, copped a fair spray from Sando. Angriest I've seen him actually.

No arguments from me re passengers - however what to do with them? I don't know, I'm at a loss personally. Many of the players you listed Booney had cracking games last week against the Gold Coast. Not to mention the fact that our depth is thin, so it could just end up being a revolving door of spuds.

The solutions to these problems won't come from the whiteboard I'm afraid. If the results continue to follow current trends and we miss finals (which is looking likely), then solutions will be coming with some savage list management moves and Sanderson's first uncompromised draft since he's been in charge.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:17 pm

Jenkins does nothing off the ball - and from memory there's only been one 'tough' game that he's actually done something (Collingwood). He doesn't chase hard enough, if at all.

I've gone right off him.
So good on Sando for pointing that finger...lol.

That's just my 2c worth.

And yes I've never seen Sanderson that 'angry' before either even with his 'phone' messaged you could tell he was not a happy chappy.

A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum