Radio and TV Commentators

5 posters

Go down

Radio and TV Commentators Empty Radio and TV Commentators

Post by Footy Lover Wed May 21, 2014 10:14 am

I remember the days of all the radio stations calling the football every Saturday. My favourites were Max hall and Tom Warhurst on 5KA but there were a lot of good callers those days and footy was king. Then on TV there was good old Blair Schwartz whose contribution used to be just saying how long they'd been playing each quarter, then Ian Day and KG. They used to have an after-game TV show with KG with the players from each club appearing. I remember one player getting asked after his team had been smashed, where do you go from here and he said . back to the clubrooms, I suppose  lol! 

Has anyone called a game on radio or TV here. I know Big Phil does and CK and Phil Herden. Any others. What's it like.

Who do people remember? Who was your favorite caller then and now?
Footy Lover
Footy Lover

Teams : Sturt

Back to top Go down

Radio and TV Commentators Empty Re: Radio and TV Commentators

Post by The Hatchet Wed May 21, 2014 1:36 pm

some of the best over the years in SA

Wally May
Max Hall
Ian Day
Peter Marker
Rod McLeod
Dennis Brown
Rick Keegan

some of the current day callers wouldnt be out of place in the better eras. neil cross very good for one
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed May 21, 2014 7:44 pm

Footy Lover wrote:I remember the days of all the radio stations calling the football every Saturday. My favourites were Max hall and Tom Warhurst on 5KA but there were a lot of good callers those days and footy was king. Then on TV there was good old Blair Schwartz whose contribution used to be just saying how long they'd been playing each quarter, then Ian Day and KG. They used to have an after-game TV show with KG with the players from each club appearing. I remember one player getting asked after his team had been smashed, where do you go from here and he said . back to the clubrooms, I suppose  lol! 

Has anyone called a game on radio or TV here. I know Big Phil does and CK and Phil Herden. Any others. What's it like.

Who do people remember?  Who was your favorite caller then and now?

Wow, some fantastic memories there, I was just a lad in the 60's but remember all of those callers.
I used to catch the bus to watch Westies if dad couldn't take me and then go home to watch the replay of whatever game was on TV.
One thing that sticks in my mind was the crowds at all games, not like today, all has been lost sadly. I have wonderful memories of those days.

testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Wed May 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Always loved Ian Aitken and Gary Window together on 5AD I think.

I'm younger than alot of people here (80s child) but channel 7 was awesome in the 80s. Bruce McAvaney, Peter Marker, Ian Day, Robert Oatey, David Darcy etc.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

sapaul wrote:Always loved Ian Aitken and Gary Window together on 5AD I think.

I'm younger than alot of people here (80s child) but channel 7 was awesome in the 80s. Bruce McAvaney, Peter Marker, Ian Day, Robert Oatey, David Darcy etc.

called football very differently then to how he does now.
david darcy used to call at the same time he owned a pub on glen osmond road

mark aiston also called for a time
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Wasn't keen on Aiston or Keegan commentating. Thought they were best served on the sports desk.
Actually didn't mind Keith Conlon when he had a dabble though funnily enough.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm

Ron Kitchen and Tom Warhurst were to others that commentated many years ago on both radio and TV.

Ron Kitchen played for South Adelaide and Tom Warhurst was a former Norwood player, both from the fifties I think.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu May 29, 2014 7:37 pm

who remembers SBS soccer commentator David Basheer calling SANFL footy ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum