Adelaide Oval proceeds

5 posters

Go down

Adelaide Oval proceeds Empty Adelaide Oval proceeds

Post by Admin Wed May 21, 2014 9:37 am

An article by Michelangelo Rucci today:

Comments?

ANDREW Demetriou came to hate the red tags on files in his in-tray at AFL House. They signalled to the AFL chief executive a series of recurring problems in SA football.

As a South Australian - and a well-connected South Australian - new AFL boss Gillon McLachlan will develop the same headache.

This is despite the two SA-based AFL clubs having “independent” licences and supposed freedom from the SANFL.

The reality is the Power and Crows are now dependent on the SANFL in another form - the Stadium Management Authority that has become the new layer of bureaucracy in SA football. This government-endorsed authority is not only an SANFL beast, but also contains the SA Cricket Association.

McLachlan will have had his feet under his new desk at AFL House in Melbourne for less than a month before he comes to Adelaide to deal with the finer (and ugly) points of the Stadium Management Authority.

Adelaide Oval is not - repeat not - the “pots of gold” that SMA chairman and SANFL president John Olsen proclaims. There certainly is more money to be made by the AFL clubs at the Oval. But the costs associated with this new revenue - costs dictated by the SMA - are extraordinary.

Here is a prime example.

Traffic management around the MCG costs the host AFL club $1000 a game.

At Subiaco, the Eagles and Dockers pay $800. What are the Crows are Power charged at the Oval. Get ready for this .... $18,000.

Cleaning bills are said to be four times greater at the Oval than at Football Park. How can this be? Each stadium catered for 50,000 fans. There are a few more rooms at the Oval, but not four times as many.

Another fascinating question posed since Olsen presented the “pots of gold” theme of an extra $12m for the Crows and Power at the Oval is: How much are the AFL clubs collecting on game day at the Oval?

Port opened the Oval with a sold-out Showdown on March 29.

How much did the Power collect? At least $500,000? When McLachlan arrives for the stadium deal review in early July the figure he will see on the agenda is not even with six figures. Again, how can this be?

Clearly, the AFL clubs need to have a clear picture on how much money is being made at the Oval and how this money is being carved up. For now, all they are getting are bills with some concerning figures - and very thin cheques. Hardly gold.

And how much will the Crows get from the SMA for the Thursday night extravaganza against Collingwood?

If that figure is not six figures, expect the Adelaide Football Club’s “wait and see” theme on the Oval to turn into a much more aggressive tone.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Adelaide Oval proceeds Empty Re: Adelaide Oval proceeds

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed May 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Part of that, in my view, is that they haven't really addressed traffic management from a permanent and sustainable point of view.
Fine to say everyone has to get on a train, tram or bus. But this is Adelaide and we are not attuned the same way as Melbournites.

Whether providing other options for dedicated bus interchanges and fringe parking were too hard to address, I don't know. But, this aspect should have been foreseen by both the clubs, SMA and others connected with the deal.

It will be interesting if Gillon sits on one side of the table and his uncle Ian sits on the other.
May not happen now he has his relinquished SACA role. But his influence will still be felt, given his involvement in the deal.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed May 21, 2014 1:56 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Part of that, in my view, is that they haven't really addressed traffic management from a permanent and sustainable point of view.
Fine to say everyone has to get on a train, tram or bus. But this is Adelaide and we are not attuned the same way as Melbournites.

Unfortunately IMO, you are spot on Chambo.

Anyone out there care to share why it's so inconvenient to catch public transport in this day and age, particularly when, for the first time in a long, long time, the government is trying to restore the system?
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed May 21, 2014 4:42 pm

I think the lack of a proper bus interchange will be the most telling issue over time.
I hope this can be addressed ultimately.

The main rub will be that to do it will likely result in further loss of parklands somewhere.
Not an enticing prospect with certain vocal Nth Ad councilors.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed May 21, 2014 7:27 pm

I have been to the footy in Melbourne at the MCG many times and the same thing occurs as in Adelaide- How do you want to get to the game. Pretty simple really.

By car, By train, or by Tram (not many busses in Melbourne), I have never had a problem and they get more spectators than Adelaide.

Where the $18,,000 dollar bill for traffic management comes from is beyond me, somebody is being ripped of IMO.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed May 21, 2014 8:34 pm

back to footy park anyone ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat May 24, 2014 2:23 pm

bayman wrote:back to footy park anyone ?

Only if they rebuild the Hendon train line and extend it to West Lakes.  Wink 
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum