blacky
Scrappy
firstblood
12 posters

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

The trots at Globe Derby Empty The trots at Globe Derby

Post by firstblood Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:05 pm

Someone told me Saturday night ( 11-1-2014 ) is the annual family night with a big race, am i right?  

Might go if it is... Mrs Firstblood wants to go just for the pancakes covered with strawberries and ice cream. Smile

I'l have my usual little bets. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The trots at Globe Derby Empty Re: The trots at Globe Derby

Post by Scrappy Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:41 pm

firstblood wrote:Someone told me Saturday night ( 11-1-2014 ) is the annual family night with a big race, am i right?  

Might go if it is... Mrs Firstblood wants to go just for the pancakes covered with strawberries and ice cream. Smile

Not sure if its a free family night
I would think with the SA Cup on they would charge an admission fee
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Scrappy wrote:
firstblood wrote:Someone told me Saturday night ( 11-1-2014 ) is the annual family night with a big race, am i right?  

Not sure if its a free family night
I would think with the SA Cup on they would charge an admission fee

I know it's not free, wasn't last year but still, its not bad value going once a year. Smile
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:15 pm

testy and I are going fb see you there
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 am

Looks like a great night of racing at Globe with plenty of South Aussie expats coming home for a tilt at the riches on offer. There are a couple of notable things about the meeting.

Smoken Up (race8 no8) is trying to become only the second standardbred in Australia to win the same group 1 race 5 times. He's won 4 previous editions of the cup and is an old marvel, recently setting a new track record at Ballarat, and going better than 1.50 for the mile to qualify for the recent Miracle Mile. He's drawn 8 and while he's no longer at his absolute best, he is still very competitive in this class.

Mister Zion (race 6 no 13) is attempting to become the first standardbred to win both the SA Pacing Cup and the SA Trotters Cup. While it's not unusual for horses to switch gait during their careers, it is after competing in Group 1 level. He's a genuine star of trotting and is a fair chance of creating some history tonight because the Trotter's Cup, while a good field, lacks a little quality at the top end.

Last week entry was $7 for adults, $4 for concessions with kids under 16 free, I expect for the main race of the year that might jump up to $10 and $5 but it is worth it because there are really good quality fields all night.

Take a rug and sit on the lawns and enjoy yourselves, unfortunately you can't take your own grog in any more but you can take food/softies etc and have a pretty cheap night.

The Australian Harness Racing page has all the fields/form analysis available for the meeting at
http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=GD110114

so you can print your own form guide from home if you want.

Bayman studies the Adelaide form a lot more than me but if you're looking for something outside the favourites to bet on tonight, I like

Race 2 no 1. El Pasadeno
Race 3 no 1. Lord Monaloo
Race 4 no 2. Two Timer Lombo

in the Cups i like Mister Zion (13) and Caribbean Blaster (no7) although his draw makes it very tricky.

Good luck if you're punting everyone.

cheers
IATW
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Will be a great night at Globe Derby tonight and with this great weather there will be a big crowd.

A ten race programme and good quality horses should make for some fast times.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:38 pm

If a SA horse wins the Cup
FIND ME ,
I will shout you at the nearest bar tonight a drink of your choice

Only studied 2 races
Those races had no Interstate horses

R2
2-1-3-7
2 looks leader and winner , will be short odds though
1 likely to be on pegs behind fav, will run a good race , exacta hope
3 dour horse , will be doing best work late, place hope
7 should be 3 back pegs

R4...7-9-3-10
7 might be too short if odds on , be in finish
9 awkward draw, racing well
3 draw gives it EW hope
10 poor draw, galloped out of mobile last start , if steps , likely to be running on very late

Good luck
Wearing blue top
With red and blue biros in my top pocket[naturally] ,FIND ME if you qualify for a drink !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 am

Great night was had last night, met up with a few forum members, but how do you pick winners? I think there were 4 races where horse no 8 won... by the time i decided to pick number 8, (main race) number 7 won. Smile
Other than losing a couple of $ on bets, it was a good night.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:44 am

gave you a tip not my fault if you didn't take it
I won  Very Happy 
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:46 am

It was good to catch up with you FB at the trots we had a terrific night--Backing the winner of the main race helped.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:51 am

What did you think of the band ?
Did you see the lanky tall wiry fair haired guitarist ?
Best song they played was , What I like About You[Romantics cover]
Hour or so after the races finished the band was still strutting away to several hundred people[and myself]
I gave the band a 7.5 rating

Good to see some old faces and chatting with them during the night
People I had not seen since the 70's rolled up

Was entertained in the committee room
Food was excellent
Most impressed with the catering staff , friendly service
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:57 am

I did see the wiry guitarist, looked a bit like Cornsey. Smile
I left after the main race but I thought the bands version of April sun in Cuba was ok.
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:58 am

Scrappy wrote:If a SA horse wins the Cup
FIND ME ,
I will shout you at the nearest bar tonight a drink of your choice

Only studied 2 races
Those races had no Interstate horses

R2
2-1-3-7
2 looks leader and winner , will be short odds though
1 likely to be on pegs behind fav, will run a good race , exacta hope
3 dour horse , will be doing best work late, place hope
7 should be 3 back pegs

R4...7-9-3-10
7 might be too short if odds on , be in finish
9 awkward draw, racing well
3 draw gives it EW hope
10 poor draw, galloped out of mobile last start , if steps , likely to be running on very late

Good luck
Wearing blue top
With red and blue biros in my top pocket[naturally] ,FIND ME if you qualify for a drink !

Both races the favs, as expected , were too short at odds on[in my opinion]
My 2nd picks got up at $7-60[El Pasadeno] and $5-60 [Katesaroyal  Very Happy ]

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:02 am

firstblood wrote:I did see the wiry guitarist, looked a bit like Cornsey. Smile
I left after the main race but I thought the bands version of April sun in Cuba was ok.

My only possible criticism of the band was they didn't play any James Wright Group covers
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:04 am

Scrappy wrote:
firstblood wrote:I did see the wiry guitarist, looked a bit like Cornsey. Smile

My only possible criticism of the band was they didn't play any James Wright Group covers
That would have got them rockin'  Very Happy 
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:13 pm

IAmTheWarrior wrote:Looks like a great night of racing at Globe with plenty of South Aussie expats coming home for a tilt at the riches on offer.  There are a couple of notable things about the meeting.  

Smoken Up (race8 no8) is trying to become only the second standardbred in Australia to win the same group 1 race 5 times.  He's won 4 previous editions of the cup and is an old marvel, recently setting a new track record at Ballarat, and going better than 1.50 for the mile to qualify for the recent Miracle Mile.  He's drawn 8 and while he's no longer at his absolute best, he is still very competitive in this class.  

Mister Zion (race 6 no 13) is attempting to become the first standardbred to win both the SA Pacing Cup and the SA Trotters Cup.  While it's not unusual for horses to switch gait during their careers, it is after competing in Group 1 level.  He's a genuine star of trotting and is a fair chance of creating some history tonight because the Trotter's Cup, while a good field, lacks a little quality at the top end.  

Last week entry was $7 for adults, $4 for concessions with kids under 16 free, I expect for the main race of the year that might jump up to $10 and $5 but it is worth it because there are really good quality fields all night.  

Take a rug and sit on the lawns and enjoy yourselves, unfortunately you can't take your own grog in any more but you can take food/softies etc and have a pretty cheap night.  

The Australian Harness Racing page has all the fields/form analysis available for the meeting at
http://www.harness.org.au/fields.cfm?mc=GD110114

so you can print your own form guide from home if you want.  

Bayman studies the Adelaide form a lot more than me but if you're looking for something outside the favourites to bet on tonight, I like

Race 2 no 1. El Pasadeno
Race 3 no 1. Lord Monaloo
Race 4 no 2. Two Timer Lombo

in the Cups i like Mister Zion (13) and Caribbean Blaster (no7) although his draw makes it very tricky.  

Good luck if you're punting everyone.  

cheers
IATW

SUGGESTED BETS
1ST El Pasadeno[ $7-60]
1ST Lord Monaloo [$4-50]
UNP Two Timer Lombo [17.60]

CUP
1ST Carrabean Blaster [$4-70]
3RD Mister Zion [$1.80]

Outstanding effort by IATW

Last edited by Scrappy on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Harpo Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:26 pm

while we go almost every week, we too had a great night as well

most of the racing was action packed although i thought the cup would've been run at a quicker tempo in the first half of the last mile, the shorter distance of this years race kept some of the lessor lights in the race rather than them dropping out, the roar of the crowd as they turned for home was turning back the clock to the old days.......

a couple of spot fires happened in the stalls, one between the trainers of the two horses that locked wheels & had to be separated, the former croweater  wanted to get physical the other trainer just wanted the verbal altercation.....they had to be separated

the other altercation was between a part owner whose horse has to be named after him & the trainer & this bloke is a nut

Last edited by Harpo on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harpo
Harpo

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:00 pm

Harpo wrote:while we go almost every week, we too had a great night as well

most of the racing was action packed although i thought the cup would've been run at a quicker tempo in the first half of the last mile, the shorter distance of this years race kept some of the lessor lights in the race rather than them dropping out, the roar of the crowd as they turned for home was turning back the clock to the old days.......

a couple of spot fires happened in the stalls, one between the trainers of the two horses that locked wheels & had to be separated, the former croweater  wanted to get physical the other trainer just wanted the verbal altercation.....

the other altercation was between a part owner whose horse has to be named after him & the trainer & this bloke is a nut

I was out the back  having a freshie (smoke) near a BBQ area and 2 women were going at it verbally, one claiming that she and her family have been waiting for this race for months and drove for 7 1/2 hours to get here. She was not a happy camper as it had to do with a horse she owned for one of the main races. The other woman walked away under a barrage of abuse, the first women then yelled out how she will find the stewards or some one and stormed off towards the stables... that was as entertaining as the main race itself.  Very Happy
firstblood
firstblood

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:23 pm

We ventured out to Globe Derby tonight to be amongst the other 200 that were there, very cold but some good racing and hope to get out a few times during the summer.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:26 am

testy wrote:
We ventured out to Globe Derby tonight to be amongst the other 200 that were there, very cold but some good racing and hope to get out a few times during the summer.

there was more than 200 there, maybe 200 where the tote is, good night

ps, let me know next time you go & we can have a chat

testy, i hope you enjoyed the $9.00 meals.....yes folks all meals are $9.00 whether it be Steak, fish, schnitzels or the many other meals, it includes the salad & vegetable bars...i always get a rump steak & it isn't small, it is a decent size, these meals are all week long for lunch & dinner bar sunday lunch when it is a $16.00 buffet
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:18 pm

I used to go every week for years.

It was then a long time before my next visit and I was shocked.

Thousands used to go and there were about 30 bookies. The bookie ring was now a car park.

The stands were well packed to watch the races, now there was hardly anyone in the stands.

Progress, I suppose.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:00 pm

went with testy last night great night and the $9.00 meals are bloody great
pity I didn't pick winner
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:40 pm

not only were you guys there, spell check made his first appearance at the trots, he was the guy taking some photos around the course (not Wally the official photographer), while Spelly didn't have a bet he picked 4 or 5 winners & it was good to catch up with him
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:21 pm

rumour at the trots last night is that the club may be heading into receivership & will change its name to keep running...............i think the rumour has some truth in it & i believe the tab (Tattstab) will be a major sponsor

i was given differing stories last night & no doubt some were embellished, however the theme was basically the same
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Very disappointing to hear that Bayman but not surprising, the Trots here in Adelaide have been on a downward spiral for many years and part of the blame must be the rediculous decision to sell off the SATAB by the government a few years ago. Prize money is the lowest of any main land meeting.
!
The writing was on the wall when many of the top trainers left for the eastern states to chase the better money.
I must say while I was there last week I had a good look around the place and to be quite honest it is in the state of delapidation, the whole place looks like it needs to be pulled down and rebuilt to come into the 21st century.

While I was there last week I ventured down to the parade ring to see a horse that a friend of mine had in the next race, I was the only person standing there watching the horses going around the parade ring, that has never happened to me in the years of going to Globe Derby.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next