Paul
Gingernuts
6 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Semi Final - Port v Geelong Empty Semi Final - Port v Geelong

Post by Gingernuts Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:50 am

Well, can they do it again?

I can't believe I'm saying this but I was actually barracking for Port last Saturday night. Actually, it was probably less about barracking for Port, and more about barracking for football in general to be honest. Port play an exciting brand of footy, they are a great team to watch and while they might be the mortal enemy of my chosen side, it is good to see them up and about again.

What I saw on Saturday night was the real Port Adelaide. I think at some point during their AFL journey that identity we all know and love/hate was lost for a while, and it seems that Koch and Hinkley have discovered it again.

If Port bring that same brand of footy to Friday night's match, then I think they can cause Geelong all sorts of trouble. The main reason I think this is because of pace. If they are to beat the Cats, them must do it with run. Run those old buggers into the ground.

Booney will probably have more to say, but an early tip for me is Port to take the game to the last quarter with Geelong falling over the line by 2-3 goals in the end.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Semi Final - Port v Geelong Empty Re: Semi Final - Port v Geelong

Post by Paul Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Tipped Port last weekend and was barracking too, don't mind them. Might be more the fact that Chocco isn't there anymore for that though. I was barracking twice as hard for Carlton the next day. Razz 

Geelong will win this and win it well.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Geelong will smash them, i'd suggest a margin close to 50 points, history is also against Port as the top 4 to my knowledge have got to the preliminary finals since this system was introduced
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:28 am

Geelong v Port - Heading over tomorrow morning for this one, pretty excited about what the game has in store.

Geelongs 9 consecutive wins over Port has them the favourite to keep this run going (along with finishing 2nd during the minor round), but the wins in Melbourne have been at Cat Park where they simply strangle the life out of opponents, the extra space at the G might give Port a chance to use the pace the young side posseses.

Enright is a loss for Geelong, no doubt. He held Wingard to almost no impact in the game played recently between the two sides and is one of Geelongs crucial back half generals. More will fall to Bartel to do and I'd expect Monfries to go to Bartel and continue his defensive forward role on him. Monfries got off the chain last time to boot 7 majors, some of them after the game had been won when Geelong were 51 points up at half time. Port ran that game out in the last quarter, or Geelong shut down, either way it was a 25 point margin at the final siren.

Again this week Geelongs ruck stocks will be tested by the in-form Matt Lobbe who had 59 hit-outs against them last time round and this is where Port get the very first of the advantages, hitouts to advantage. Lobbe must not only get first hand on it, he must use it to advantage by hitting it down Ebert, Boak and Wines' throats. Of course, Selwood and co. will be doing their best to read it off hands and get the ball quickly to Podsiadly (who Port seem to never cover) and the returning Hawkins. (LOL - "turning" - like he can do that!)

Port always struggle to match Pods and Hawkins up, I think we get it the wrong way round. Carlile goes to Hawkins and Trengove to Pods. I'd flip it around this week, but I'm not the coach.

Johnson in the front half will perhaps be shaded by Tom Jonas and Cassisi will take him when he moves onto the ball. He too is often too good for Port defenders and must be held for Port to be a chance. Easier said than done.

With a wet night predicted in Melbourne the game might just be a slog, not the fast paced running game Port will want.

Having said that, I expect it to be fairly close. History suggests the Cats will win. I hope not, but I'd say Geelong by 17 points. If Port are within 3 goals at 3/4 time, it might be a different story.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:21 am

Wet weather will definitely play to Geelongs advantage, Port needs the heavens to stay firmly shut.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 pm

One factor I hadn't considered until now is the fact that this game could be a great opportunity to put some of the wrongs of the 2007 GF right.

Handing Geelong a straight sets exit would go some way to healing those deep wounds I would think.

I'm actually really looking forward to watching this game tonight. Could be an absolute pearler.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:18 am

Was a great game to watch - much better than the Sydney/Carlton game which was a shocker.

A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:53 am

If not for Geelongs poor kicking the game would have been over earlier in the last quarter.

I'll pop a summary in later this morning.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am

Nothing like half-time to disrupt your momentum...
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down