Adelaide - midseason review

5 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Adelaide - midseason review Empty Adelaide - midseason review

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 am

Well, fair to say that this season has not unfolded as hoped for the Adelaide Football Club. After such a fantastic 2012 many experts were tipping them to go on with it this year, but 2013 has been a year of systematic failure across all lines.

Let’s have a look at the main questions the year so far has raised:

So why have things gone so pear shaped this year?

Where do we start? There’s the disastrous off season with the defection of Tippett for zero compensation plus fines and loss of draft picks which kick started the back tracking of 2012’s gains. A lack of decisive remedial action by the board to address these dodgy dealings further compounded the issue. Then we throw in the suspension of Dean Bailey for discretions unrelated to his current position and all up we don’t exactly have what I would call a recipe for success.

Was last year just a fluke?

No, as much as opposition fan’s love saying so, the top 4 is not something you fluke your way into. There has to be some base of genuine talent to get you that far. As a fan I genuinely believe the squad as a whole has some incredibly talented players within it. More young players have emerged this year to further confirm this. What is lacking is experience. Experience gives you a cool head under fire, awareness of your team mates and their abilities, and consistency in your performances – all things that are missing for Adelaide at the moment.

Will the Tippett saga cost us a genuine shot at the flag in the next few years?

I hope not – but to be brutally honest I have a deep fear in the pit of my guts every time I think about it. I’m just a fan – how did if affect players, coaches and support staff? There would have to be some sort of impact to morale. The thought that the saga may have cost us our next shot at a flag will now be something that haunts the halls of the AFC until they manage to secure their next premiership, whenever that may be.

Does the problem run deeper? Are there cultural issues involved?

Well, over the last decade or so you would have to say that Adelaide does seem to have a bit of a history in getting ahead of itself. 05/06 was only a matter of time before we won a flag – that went pear shaped. 09 saw us smash through the second half of the season and have Collingwood on toast at half time of the semi final, only to drop the ball and end up in the wilderness for the following two years. When it comes to the crunch are Adelaide frontrunners who believe their own press when lauded for their talent and potential, causing them to sit back and expect it to just happen? These questions have to be asked.

Where to now?

Well as an Adelaide fan I’m looking at the situation fairly positively still. Yes, this year hasn’t turned out as planned but I think long term the future of the club still looks relatively bright. The youngsters that will be the cornerstones of the team for the next decade (Sloane, Dangerfield, Talia, Smith, Jenkins) continue to improve, while more impressive juniors (Kerridge, Lyon, Laird, Brown, Crouch, Lynch) have been injected into the side with great effect.

I think we also have the right senior coach and support staff, and once the off-field upheaval of the pre season settles down again performances from the box will improve also.

The form of the team’s experienced campaigners has probably been the season’s greatest disappointment, with Reilly, Van Berlo, Vince, Porplyzia, Callinan and Johncock all being well below their best. Hopefully they will all do some soul searching during the break and come back with some renewed enthusiasm.

Will we make the finals from here?

On current form, very unlikely. Fans will hope for a massive turn around in form after the bye, but it’s a forlorn hope to be honest. One or two more rolls of the dice after the bye, and then thoughts need to start turning to next season and beyond. Get game time into the kids, and settle the line up for 2014.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Adelaide - midseason review Empty Re: Adelaide - midseason review

Post by Lee Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:57 am

Great write-up, GN, thanks.

You've hit the nail on the head with the comments about the experienced players.  It's hard to see any of these you've named getting any better, although one or two might regain some form.

I think Adelaide will be well served to trade as well as they can for one or two recycled players who can add a bit of toughness, physical and mental, to the group.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:15 pm

The one player that continues to disappoint year after year is Bernie Vince.

I'm a big fan of his, but he's 26 now and has never fully realised his potential. If one player tipifies how Adelaide tend to get ahead of themselves, it would be him.

Harsh I know - but I only say it because I desperately want him to be the best player he can be, but I can see his chance at greatness slipping away with every season that goes by.

I'm not so confident we can trade out of this mess TBH R&B. Tough players don't tend to be used as trade bait. I think it comes down to the players here and now. They have the talent, but they need to drive the change themselves.

I've always been a fan of Van Berlo - but I think it might be time to hand the captaincy to Dangerfield. He is a natural leader and a tough nut. He already carries the side every week - might as well acknowledge him for it.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:10 pm

Why have things gone pear shaped?

Clearly the Tippett loss, the Walker injury and the added external attention to the side are the three biggest factors.

The hidden factors,IMO are Jacobs not being anywhere near as dominant as he was last year. As such Thompson isn't getting the ball hit down his throat, Dangerfield and Sloane are having to rove to the opposition ruckman and the defence is under more and more pressure.

Because of the Tippett loss the likes of Jenkins and McKernan have had to be fast tracked. Heck, McKernan wasn't even getting a game last year now he's a critical link in the tall forward/ruck chain. Personally I dont think he is up to either task. Jenkins on the other hand looks a very good prospect and consistency will come soon enough for him.

Down back the run of Jaensch is gone, although Rutten,Otten and Talia and playing well the run of Jaensch, Reilly and Doughty is gone. Couple that with the midfield having to earn their kicks the forward half is being deprived of quality delivery.

In short, I think you've dropped off in all three "lines" of the game. Mainly in defensive run and winning stoppages.

Vince, van Berlo (I've never been a fan of his) and Reilly have been really inconsistent.

Porplyzia, Callinan and Petrenko have given you nothing, but thats not an easy job to do (small forward) when you have no big blokes to rove to. Having said that, Porplyzia is way out of touch, Petrenko hasn't looked fit all year and Callinan now looks like a bloke approaching 30.

Will the Tippett saga cost us a genuine shot at the flag in the next few years?

Absolutely. Not only have you lost one of the games premier big men you have also lost the chance to recruit.

Let's say you want a Chris Dawes (when he was at Collingwood ) and you offer a 2 round draft pick for him. Collingwood wouldn't even talk to you as not only do they want a first round pick you dont have one to give! Adelaide will have to work some miraculous trades to get anyone of substance in the next 2 years by which time Rutten, Thompson and Reilly will be either gone or well past their use by date.

Will we make the finals from here?

Not a chance.

Sorry to be so....well....direct.Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:26 pm

You're not sorry at all. Laughing

I think the psychological side of the Tippett saga can't be underestimated. To be part of a young group who are building something special - only to have key member of the group turn around and decide not to be part of it - would be massively deflating I reckon.

When he was suspended I could pretend that the whole **** storm never happened. I'm not looking forward to him resuming this week at all. It's gonna hurt deep for a looooong time, and every good game he has strutting around up front for the Swans is going to be another thrust of the dagger.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Ok, you're right. I'm not sorry.

Did I not hide it as well as I suspected?Laughing
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm

From a 2-key forward pronged attack last season to nothing this year.  I would say that's a very big hole that has cost them dearly.

Might as well declare this a rebuilding year and as many have said, get some game time into the next generation.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:25 pm

You only rebuild when you turn the playing group over. Adelaide aren't in a position to do that with draft restrictions. They have to bide their time and make the most of what they've got.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 pm

Adelaide's season summed up in one word - embarrassing.

It all started with the Kurt Tippett saga, and the club's embarrassing handling of that.  The fact that Trigg kept his job after the manner he brought the club into disrepute shows how inept the board is.  Rob Chapman has been nothing short of disgraceful in his carry on since - from the constant sulking about Trigg's suspension right through to his response to Warren Tredrea's article the other day (which was pretty much another excuse to try and defend the indefensible).

As Warren Tredrea pointed out - the club's off field culture is rotten all the way to the top, and this is filtering through to the on-field performance.  They've seen a CEO perform gross acts of incompetency, which has been condoned by the board.  Chapman, his board, and Trigg, have laid down the culture of poor performances being rewarded, as a result, we've seen a Crows lineup that has largely played knowing this.  

The worst part about the season - I thought the players were starting to turn things around after the North Melbourne game.  I thought the way they won that game would have given the side the spark needed to reignite their season.  All it did was paper up the cracks for a week, which started to open against Fremantle and were ripped right open against Sydney, and left exposed for Richmond.

As for the second half of the season, this has the potential to be real grim for the club with the draw they have in the second half of the season (Melbourne in round 22 being the only game you could pencil in a win for to be honest), and the return of the toxic Steven Trigg as CEO will only make matters worse.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum