Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Norwood and Foxtel Cup Empty Re: Norwood and Foxtel Cup

Post by Flag No.10 Thu May 16, 2013 7:13 am

To save using the link:

Wednesday, 15 May 2013

NORWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB - FOXTEL CUP COMMENTARY
In response to recent comments made by Norwood Football Club (NFC) coach Nathan Bassett regarding the Foxtel Cup, the SANFL wishes to clarify that:

· The SANFL presented the proposed conditions of the 2013 Foxtel Cup to SANFL club CEOs on September 24, 2012.

Clubs were notified they had a choice of when they would like their bye scheduled around their Foxtel Cup fixtures. NFC indicated it would be appropriate to have the bye following its Foxtel Cup game to allow a sufficient break before its next SANFL home-and-away match.

· The NFC’s intent to participate in the Foxtel Cup was tabled to the SANFL on October 19, 2012.

· The SANFL requested all clubs submit two match program requests by October 26, 2012.

The NFC again submitted that it would be beneficial to play as early as possible in the preceding week, prior to the Foxtel Cup game, then followed by the bye.

· The SANFL match program sees the NFC play this Saturday (the same day as itsFoxtel Cup opponents East Fremantle), against South Adelaide. The NFC then plays on two Friday nights before its scheduled Foxtel Cup matches (should they progress).

SANFL General Manager Football, Chris Davies, said “The SANFL had done a significant amount of work with the AFL on the modelling of the Foxtel Cup in 2013, which saw eight of our nine clubs confirm, in writing, their intention to participate if given the opportunity. This showed that the changes made attracted our clubs to compete, and on this basis we strongly support the Foxtel Cup.”

He added: “The Norwood Football Club chose to participate in the competition and its byes were positioned by the SANFL, based on the information provided to us by Norwood in making this choice. It is disappointing to read comments from within the Norwood Football Club that would suggest anything other than that.”

For more information, contact:

Sharee Bartram
South Australian National Football League
Mobile: 0437 294 197
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu May 16, 2013 7:35 am

Given both the SANFL fixture and Foxtel Cup fixture have been out for months, this smacks of poor planning on Bassett's part. He would have known for months this was happening yet waits until the week before the match to complain about it.

Poor planning on Bassett's part does not constitute an emergency on Foxtel Cup's part...

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Thu May 16, 2013 8:34 am

Just shows what a big-headed buffoon he really is. Rolling Eyes
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Carman09 Thu May 16, 2013 9:31 am

Interesting.... 12/4 SA night fixture v. WA on a Friday night at Hickinbotham, 26/4 SA night fixture v. NA on a Friday night at Hickinbotham.

If NFC and SANFL were working in true collaboration then why wouldn't Saturday night's fixture be played on Friday evening (i.e. tomorrow night) instead?
Carman09
Carman09

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu May 16, 2013 10:23 am

Foxtel Cup dates later this season

08/6/2013 West V Norwood at City Mazda Stadium [Saturday]
11/6/2013 Port Melbourne V West Adelaide at MCG [Tuesday]

West has a bye on the SANFL Round of 15/6/2013
West are likely to have a hard physical game against Norwood on the Saturday , then have to travel to play at the MCG for a game 3 days later
Not an ideal preparation ?

This Foxtel Cup is meant to decide the best non AFL team in Australia
But with the scheduling , will the best team win ?
Both Norwood and West Adelaide [and other Interstate teams ?] have been asked to perform twice within 3 or 4 day breaks

The Semi Finals have also been listed as being played on
Tuesdays 9/7 and 16/7
Norwood and West have byes again in the SANFL
So if either team qualifies we have the same 4 day break

The Foxtel Grand Final is listed as
Tuesday August 6
Both West and Norwood have byes the following week
Norwood play on Friday 2/8 v Port
West play Sturt on Saturday 3/8
West have 1 less days rest than Norwood

If the Foxtel Cup wants to be fair dinkum then in my opinion they must be played on weekends
The scheduling will be in competition with other SANFL games on a weekend and the AFL , but at least it would seem to be fairer on the players not having 3-4 day back ups

If I was the coach of the Norwood or West Adelaide Football Clubs , I would want to voice my disapproval
Invariably Mr Bassett and Mr Collins do , and thats what I like about both coaches, they generally speak their minds

Hopefully I got the dates right
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Go Legs Thu May 16, 2013 10:53 am

Brucetiki wrote:Given both the SANFL fixture and Foxtel Cup fixture have been out for months, this smacks of poor planning on Bassett's part. He would have known for months this was happening yet waits until the week before the match to complain about it.

Poor planning on Bassett's part does not constitute an emergency on Foxtel Cup's part...

Nothing has been said by Chris Davies, that when the final/final/final Foxtel Cup plan was put in place that the NFC was advised formally of the changes.

Personally, I recon the SANFL top copy of its letter to the NFC is still attached to the file copy in SANFL headquarters !!!

Cheers,
Go Legs
Go Legs

My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu May 16, 2013 11:10 am

Norwood's response:

To all Members – Foxtel Cup

The Norwood Football Club will be at West Lakes next Tuesday night aiming to beat East Fremantle and the players chosen for the match will be representing our Club to their absolute best.

The Club, the Coach and the players are in this competition to do our best and hopefully win the Cup.

Certainly it will be a challenge to play South on Saturday night and then play East Fremantle the next Tuesday but as Bass has said previously East Fremantle have potentially an even harder task by having to play on the Saturday in Perth and then having to travel as well.

Obviously we won’t know how the playing squad will recover until after Saturday night’s game and then getting to the Club for their recovery sessions, so naming a team before that process is complete is not practical. However we will be picking our side with the expectation of a win so we want all our supporters to get to both games and support the team as we look to defeat both South Adelaide on Saturday and East Fremantle next Tuesday.

Geoff Baynes

Norwood Football Club CEO
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu May 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Think this has been made into a much bigger issue than it needs be. Bassett having his facts correct in terms of scheduling certainly would have helped. However he sent a message to his clubs supporters to prepare them for an understrength 22 fronting for the Foxtel Cup. I would imagine the likes of Warren and Zorsi would have been rested whether the bye was before or after the FC match so nothing would have changed there. Doesnt seem a big issue to me. But one does start to wonder if the NFC hasnt been unravelling somewhat since the completion of last season.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat May 18, 2013 7:30 am

From Localfootysa...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/redlegs-to-pick-best-side-after-all/story-e6freckc-1226645636386
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down