Adelaide's season 2013 at the crossroads - where to now?

4 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Adelaide's season 2013 at the crossroads - where to now? Empty Adelaide's season 2013 at the crossroads - where to now?

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am

Well, the big Tex Walker looks like he’s out for an extended period – just exactly how long to be confirmed later today.

His injury has the potential to doom Adelaide’s 2013 to failure, let’s not pretty it up.

Anyway, in the lead up to this week’s game I thought it would be an interesting to have some discussion around what you would do if you were in Sanderson’s shoes.

So – what would you do? How would you shuffle the magnets? What message would you deliver to the players at their first training for the week?

Here’s where I would head:

THE MESSAGE:

First thing I would do is focus on the opportunities presented by the loss of Walker. I would be taking Jenkins, Lynch, McKernan & Johnstone aside and throwing down the challenge to them. The coming weeks could be the making of them as players if they choose to take their opportunity.

Secondly I would be throwing down the challenge to the whole playing group. The chips are down, our best forward is gone for an extended period, and we are up against one of the premiership favourites this week. It’s not a moment that they should be scared of – rather they should see it as a chance to plant the flag and make a stand.

THE MAGNET BOARD:

Johnstone has to come in. He is in good form, and he is big but also mobile which puts him ahead of McKernan. He deserves his chance, and I think he and Lynch could form a good duo up forward with Jenkins also lurking in the pocket as another foil.

I would also be leaving Jaensch up forward, he provided some great zip up there in the last quarter against Carlton and I’d definitely start him there next week.

Petrenko, I’m sorry but it’s time for a spell. He has chased tails all year and had minimal impact – time for either Porplyzia to get a second chance, or someone new like Brodie Martin to come in and provide some fresh enthusiasm and greater defensive pressure.

With Luke Brown also likely to be out, I think Johncock should come back in and play his traditional role on the opposition’s small forward. Thankfully it looks like there will be no Rioli this week, which will make the job a bit easier.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
These are the moments that define clubs and individuals. The bottom line is they can take the easy option and go quietly into the night, or they can stand up and fight and prove that they are a team to be reckoned with, even in times of adversity.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Adelaide's season 2013 at the crossroads - where to now? Empty Re: Adelaide's season 2013 at the crossroads - where to now?

Post by Booney Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:41 am

Johnston looks to be a classic out of the square leading full forward, he must come in as McKernan is a tall who can play forward, big difference.
Johnston replaces Walker.

Jenkins needs to purely be a second ruck option. Jacobs looks to be well under 100% so I'd start Jenkins in the middle and Jacobs deep forward. Pinch hit with Jacobs this week to give Jenkins a chance to shine in a game that, in all honesty, you probably wont win. Give Jacobs some much needed rest.

Petrenko and Porpylzia cant get their arms above their head to take a mark, nor can either of them pin a tackle at the moment. Not offering much as a small forward if you cant do either of those things.

Petrenko out - Dangerfield forward and bring in Lyons who has been burning for Glenelg all year.

So Jacobs, Johnston and Dangerfield forward to replace Walker, Jenkins and Petrenko in the forward half, Jenkins to lead the ruck.

Jacobs, Johnston and Lynch work the forward half as talls.

Johncock stays at the Magpies.....thanks. Wink
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Adelaide's season 2013 at the crossroads - where to now? Empty Re: Adelaide's season 2013 at the crossroads - where to now?

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:49 pm

Good call on Lyons.

It seems such a waste to use Dangerfield up forward, but he is so dangerous down there and would probably have far more of an impact that he is currently having in the middle.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:11 pm

The worst case has been confirmed on the AFC's website - a knee reconstruction is required for Walker and he is gawn for the year and probably some of next season also.

...and you can't help but feel that our chances of doing anything this year have gone with him.

I'm shattered.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:27 pm

I thought it would be very hard for Adelaide to emmulate or improve upon 2012 without Tippett.

It's impossible to see them doing it without Walker as well.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Yep - and while he might get back in 12 months it will take even longer to recapture form and confidence. Hell, he may never recapture it.

We can't even warm our hearts with the prospect of better draft picks as a result of any drop off in form this year, because we miss out thanks to the Tippett saga.

I reckon we're in a bit of Barney Rubble now to be honest, and not just in 2013.

The only positive is that the door opens for another youngster to enter and fast track their development.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 pm

Big blokes and knees - Not a good mix, that's for sure.

I'd been meaning, on an unrelated matter, to ask your view on Rutten Ginge. He got another year in him?

If not, where is the next key defender for you? ( Other than Talia)
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:39 pm

I think he's probably got another year or two left in him.

I hope so anyway as I'm not sure we have a genuine alternative to him yet be honest.

I think Adelaide is going to have to work hard at the trade and free agency table at the end of this season to look for some ready made answers to their current problems. They have the cash in the cap now that Tippett has moved on.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:01 pm

I had initially pegged Jenkins as the Tippett replacement.
And watching the Crows first half on Saturday, I'm still thinking that.

He looked so out of sorts running around the ground and at one point was the logical go to man on the wing with a quick give off, but he didn't run past and the ball player was stopped in his tracks. I don't think he knows where to go or what to do around the ground. He is quite mobile for his size, but struggles with reading the play I think.

Perhaps with Walker out he could cover that option (either HF or FF) as I think it would better suit where his head is.

McKernan, Johnston etc now get their chance too.

They are looking a bit thin in big man options now and looks to be patch up job for a fair while. Is there another kid like Talia lurking around who wants to step up in the defensive options?

Yep, I think the Crows who are struggling even with Walker, now have a huge uphill battle to remain a top 4 contender and even a battle to be a top 8 contender.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:28 pm

3 losses already, any more than 5 and you simply dont finish top 4. So that is certainly out of reach.

Top 8? Unlikely now IMO.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazz Thu May 02, 2013 8:49 pm

Danger is dominating through the middle- wasted up forward, as we have less drive without him (Sloane and Thommo aren't bad though).
Rory Laird a surprise packet, shame he's out injured.

We need Porps and Callinan firing to be a threat, and they're struggling.
Gazz
Gazz

My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum