Sabre
Flag No.10
PhilH
cutterman
Ben W
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ronny's Blog AFL Reserves.  Empty Ronny's Blog AFL Reserves.

Post by Ben W Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Yet another interesting read this week and no doubt a good topic for discussion! He makes an interesting case, my main question would be what the two clubs might think if asked to respond?

Ronny's Blog
AFL Reserves
Wednesday 8 February - By Ronny's Blog

Hello to everyone and welcome to another on coming football season.
I have been asked to start some blogging to kick the year off and I thought I would start with a topical subject to get things going.
The question of our two AFL clubs having reserves teams in the SANFL is being raised again and it has also led to some interesting conversations around the traps.
As I mentioned last year, I personally don’t have a problem with it as long as it doesn’t compromise the SANFL competition.
It is a difficult to imagine how it can’t be compromised in some way though.
One way it wouldn’t be however is to have the AFL reserves play in the SANFL reserves competition.
Obviously the standard won’t be as high as they would wish but they are primarily about development and the SANFL reserves competition is very much a development grade.
The AFL clubs have no problem with their players fronting up in the reserves when their allocated team has the bye and it would give them total control of their list if they were in charge of all their players.
They would have to find about 12 to 16 players to form a top up squad but that would be easy.
Many amateur or country players would love to get involved in an AFL club but still be connected to the local club if not required at any time.
Another positive would be that the SANFL lists would be divided into 8 clubs instead of 9, which ought to mean the lists and reserves lists in particular, would be stronger, resulting in a better competition too.
This higher profile for the reserves would make it more appealing to stay in the SANFL system as well, which has to be a good thing, rather than losing a lot of players to amateur or country football for money and less commitment.
This thinking might enable clubs to pay a little more to the reserves players as a result of this compromise too which would also help to improve the level.
There are a few logistical problems like a different draw for the reserves but these are minor compared to the alternatives.
It would bring a different complexion to our league without clubs worrying about any drastic changes to their current format.

Ron Fuller.

http://www.safc.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42&Itemid=39
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Ronny's Blog AFL Reserves.  Empty Re: Ronny's Blog AFL Reserves.

Post by cutterman Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:08 am

It's probably the only format that I would feel comfortable with, however, once this is established, having 2 AFL teams in the seniors is only a few "tweaks" away. Still the main sticking point with me is, as an example, Sturt develop and nurture Chad Wingard, he's drafted by Power and then plays for Port Magpies against the club that developed him. That no other SANFL club has this affiliation with an AFL club, and nor should they, it is unacceptable and a slap in the face to all involved.
If it is so important for the AFL clubs to have a reserves competition then let the AFL structure and fund their own competition.
cutterman
cutterman

Teams : Sturt
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 pm

On this one I agree with Ron

SANFL League is all about winning premierships

AFL reserves is about player development for a league side

Having a team not focussed on winning premierships introduced to a 135 year old competition that is would severely damage integrity of the competition.

SANFL reserves is about player development for a SANFL league side

So why not have AFL reserves teams in SANFL reserves competition.

Most AFL players when first drafted are barely at SANFL reserves level and many play at SANFL reserves level for the first year or so.

The additional non AFL players required to field a side would be more suited to SANFL reserves level.

What Crows and Power need to decide which is more beneficial for them

- have players at the level that best suits their individual abilities (ie those on the fringe in SANFL league, starting out in SANFL reserves)
or
- have all players in one team under own club coaches but in a reserves competition.

Downside would be locally drafted players would be lost. At least then for clubs all players drafted are lost not just those who have to move interstate.
As Ron said scheduling would also be interesting.
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm

If there has to be a compromise (and I'm not sure yet that there does) this would be tolerable, just, to me.
But as this is all about the AFL clubs developing their own players and not winning games, why couldn't Adelaide and Port's Reserves just play each other every week?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:why couldn't Adelaide and Port's Reserves just play each other every week?
I agree, great idea 'Flag No.9', then they'd be just like all those running the un-AFL.
i.e. 'Playing with themselves' !
Ronny's Blog AFL Reserves.  506203483
Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:why couldn't Adelaide and Port's Reserves just play each other every week?

Because with injuries to the lists, they wouldn't have enough players for a game.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by rover Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:58 pm

It wouldn't be the first time the SANFL reserves competition has been compromised. For five years(1959 to 1963) Woodville and Central District played in it for a probationary period to see if they measured up for possible league promotion in 1964. The reserves thus had ten teams and the A grade eight. The rest,as they say,is history.
Yeah,good one Ron. Plonk the Crows and the Power back up sides in the ressies but leave them there because this time the SANFL league must not be compromised and the nine sides can field settled sides each week without AFL listed players going backwards and forwards and the premiership will be a true test of local talent primarily plus astute recruiting from say other SANFL clubs,the WAFL,VFL and the country just like in the good old days(pre 1991).
rover
rover

Back to top Go down

Post by cutterman Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:47 am

As mentioned before, I think the best option is for the AFL to part fund a reserves comp. and the AFL clubs to make up the difference. I think one of the sticking points will be the PAFC, (not having a dig here), cash strapped for some years now and I can't see anything changing in the next few years, they will not be able to afford the extra players and costs, hence Andrew Demitriou's desire for the State based comps to wear the brunt of the idea.
I want as little effect of the AFL on the SANFL as possible, once we allow this to happen it just means that we are dictated to all the more and possibly more dependent on extra money coming via the AFL.
I look at how the AFL/Demitriou govern the competition and change the boundries to suit their own agendas, take the "clubs have to earn the right to play friday night" line that they have pulled out of the bag for the FIXture this year. Take for example the back stabbing that the AFL pulled on the SANFL by dealing with the SACA in secret, add to that the pitiful $5 million that they are adding to the AO redevelopment.
Under this regime the AFL is nothing more than a snake in the grass and I prefer that they have minimal control of the SANFL as possible and to strengthen our position we work in unison and in closer alliance with the WAFL.
cutterman
cutterman

Teams : Sturt
My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:09 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:

Because with injuries to the lists, they wouldn't have enough players for a game.

That's an issue they would face whatever arrangement they come up with.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 pm

No place for the AFL in our comp - System is fine as is
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Yes, I agree with you totally, wolves.

Thin end of the wedge and all that.

I will say, though, that I enjoy a lot of Ronnie's blogs, whether I agree with them or not.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by mark beswick Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 pm

Hes an interesting bloke to talk to in the flesh - I've always found him very approachable and in my case very helpful when I collect debutante stats from his side both when he coached at the eagles and now at the panthers

I must catch up with you at richmond in the near future Red and Black
Regards
Wolves
mark beswick
mark beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm

I look forward to it, Wolves.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 pm

Looking forward to catching up with red and black too Wink
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:31 pm

First game at Noarlunga, mate?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:03 pm

Are you buying the first round R&B? Ronny's Blog AFL Reserves.  4056091176 Very Happy
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 pm

Yep, but you an reciprocate at City Mazda, BW Wink
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:10 pm

mate red has no idea what a schooner is
belive me i know lol!
blacky
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:11 pm

redandblack wrote:First game at Noarlunga, mate?

Yep .... Look forward to it !!! Smile
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:12 pm

That will be enough of that, blacky.

I had a schooner once when we went top at cricket. Very Happy

I may make an exception this time, though.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm

Sounds like a plan R&B - I am very much a coke drinker at the football also! Very Happy
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Ben W wrote:Sounds like a plan R&B - I am very much a coke drinker at the football also! Very Happy

Me too but diet coke ... Trying to lose a few kilos ... But the panther club BBQ might be too tempting !!! Shocked
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:36 pm

It's a deal.

If we drink coke and bring blacky, we'll still average several schooners each Wink
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Overall, think the idea is an excellent one and is the closest to acceptable alternative for the SANFL, if the AFL teams are to field any sort of "seconds" team.

As mentioned, an excellent way to give the top players in lower levels a chance to shine and maybe get the breakthrough opportunity they deserve. Most of us have seen a player somewhere in country or amateur footy that never had a go at it, but was often touted as "should have the opportunity".

I reakon this one is well worth exploring further, acknowledging the legitimate concerns about tampering with an existing competition.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm

Southee wrote:Looking forward to catching up with red and black too Wink

You'll be very disappointed. Laughing Laughing Laughing
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next