Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton

5 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton Empty Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton

Post by Booney Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Two interesting games that could both go either way with none of the teams able to go in with any real expectation to win, other than I think Port and that is only slightly.

Port v WCE - The loss of Selwood will hurt the Eagles, they needed him to cover one of Ports damaging midfield, probably Hartlett or Boak. Without Selwood ( albiet still a sound group ) the Eagles mid-field looks to lack a stopper and Ports strength this year has been midfield depth. No more evident than Stevenson being dropped for this clash against his old side. He has been really good in the first 4 weeks but Cassisi's return last week (and the form he showed ) leaves Stevenson on the outer. This is ok though, a week rotated out might just freshen him up a bit.

Ports scoring options at the moment run deep. Schulz, Westhoff, Wingard, Boak, Hartlett, Monfries have all kicked 3 or more in a match this year. This will be hard for the Eagles to counter.

Port also looking to win for Kane Cornes in his 250th. What a record this bloke has! 9 of the last 10 years top 3 finish in the PAFC BnF, winning 4, two times AA, 174 consecutive matches, Premiership player ( 1 day - 2 night ), leading possesion winner (avge) the last 5 years at Port.....he really is a machine and I think he is under rated. Onya Kano!

Saturday night at home, decent crowd ( I guess 28K as there are a few Eagles fans in Adelaide ) and I expect Port to take the choccies by 28 points.

Adelaide v Carlton - Interesting clash this one. Adelaide had a win in the wet against a team devoid of any real purpose or direction while Carlton return to Melbourne from a win over the Eagles in Perth, mainly due to the Eagles poor kicking ( 7.23 ) although Carlton had control much of the match. Crouch looks to be another gem of a kid (how impressive are the kids who come into the AFL system now? Wines, Crouch to name the local boys - they play well, speak well) who Adelaide have picked up and although missing from this weeks game being able to bring in Vince who took his demonation to the SANFL on the chin by leading the Eagles to a win over Norwood is a pretty handy replacement. Sanderson has run out of patience with Porplyzia and has sent him back to the SANFL. Adelaide still looking for the right balance making changes most weeks, a sign (IMO) that the coaches are not happy with the group.

Adelaide might struggle with Carltons small forwards (most clubs do) but I think Carlton will struggle to match up on Wanker...sorry, Walker and Jenkins. Wink

I cant pick this one. So I'm going with form and where it is played. Adelaide off a wet slog over nobody, Carlton off a win over WCE in Perth, game in Melbourne. Carlton by 22.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton Empty Re: Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton

Post by Gingernuts Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Port are a good chance to chalk up their 5th win for sure, West Coast have been very disappointing so far this year. I reckon they might just get over the line.

I also reckon Adelaide will get up this week. The lads would be dead keen to play on the 'G and will come out firing.

I also reckon Booney's favourite the big Tex Walker is set for a big one. I actually think he's been in pretty good touch and has been involved in creating a lot of scoring opportunities this year without troubling the scoreboard himself. This week I think we might see him chalk up a decent bag for the first time this year.

I'm tipping both Adelaide teams to get up.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton Empty Re: Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton

Post by UncleHuey Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Even though West Coast have a poor record playing at AAMI I think they will be too good for Port. Their forward line looks a bit tall for Port (assuming they kick straight). Cox will be too good in the ruck and I think the team will be desperate for a win. WCE by 10 points.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:01 pm

I think Walker is having to do too much work up the ground, well outside the 50m arc Ginge. This might mean he is involved in scoring opportunities but not scoring himself and that hurts you big time.

Without him kicking 4-5 goals you wont match it with the top sides this year.

Why haven't they given Johnston a go instead of Lynch? Clearly Johnston is an out of the square leading forward.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:07 pm

I think Port might get a reality check, with West Coast winning comfortably. I hope Port do well, though, led by their Westies' contingent Very Happy

Also, I can't see Adelaide getting near Carlton. It's a good test for them, though, so I'm hoping they'll click.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Well you would think that Johnston would be ahead of Lynch, but in saying that Lynch performed very well last weekend and was also solid last year whenever he pulled on the Adelaide jumper.

I thought Adelaide clicked last week, it was a consistent 4 quarter effort and players that have been out of sorts finally looked comfortable again.

Whether that was due to the conditions and the lack of opposition, I guess we'll find out tomorrow.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Lynch's form with Glenelg over the past season has been excellent, but more as an on-baller?

I recall seeing him play CHB late in a game against West lasyt year and he marked everything.

I watched a bit of Johnston against Sturt when he kicked 7 and he got really good delivery, but he didn't give a yelp against West on Mangan. Having said that, his form has been very good last year also, so Adelaide have two good options.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 pm

Well Adelaide's golden run of form and injury in 2012 is being paid back ten fold this season. They showed some good fight in the last but too much was left to too few again.

Without Walker and on current form you would have to say Adelaide will struggle to make the 8 as much as I hate to admit it.

One positive out of the Walker injury is that someone now has 8-10 weeks to stake their claim as a legitimate second forward target.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Another positive is they never ever gave up - gave 110% the whole game - which if you're going to lose is what you want to see from your team. Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton 2829010660

And well done Port - they are definitely the real deal.

Booney you must be finding it hard to contain yourself...lol Very Happy
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:31 pm

Yea, you're right A Mum, they did fight it out which is all you ask for as a fan. They are still a shadow of last years team though at the moment.

Port on the other hand are playing unbelievable footy at the moment. Great game and win for them tonight.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 am

A Mum, it's exciting times, thats for sure. Really looking forward to our next month or two now to see what we've got.

NM away, Rich home, Carl Away, Geelong Home, Bulldogs in Darwin then the bye before GWS,Sydney, Collingwood,Essendon, Hawthorn...tough month that one!

5-0 now with I'd expect wins over Bulldogs, GWS then maybe North Melbourne and Richmond. The other 7 are real tough. So we might be 9-7 or 8-8 at round 16.

With St.Kilda, Brisbane, Adelaide and GC in the last 7 weeks I can seen Port getting 12/13 wins. Depending on the games against Carlton(2), North, Richmond, Fremantle, Adelaide.Might just be enough to scrape into the 8.....maybe.

I'm expecting the kids to have a tough time of it in that month against the 4 of the best teams,we will need to perform well in that month to have the confidence to win the games we should now win in the last 10 weeks of the season.

*Insert Boon biting nails on edge of seat here*
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:22 am

I'm man enough to admit it - I'm enjoying watching Port Adelaide play at the moment.

There, I said it. Round 5 Port V WCE - Adel V Carlton 4257781809
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 am

Felt good....dinnit? Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:13 am

No.

I feel dirty.

Like I need to scrub myself down chemical spill style.

Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Laughing Laughing
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum