Lee
Gingernuts
6 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

R4 - Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs Empty R4 - Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Well well well,

Aren't Adelaide in a bit of a state at the moment?

The midfield, pegged as their biggest strength pre-season, has become dysfunctional. As a result, the inexperienced defence is copping it, and the much heralded attack is being starved of supply.

It all adds up to headaches galore for Sanderson and Co going into this match.

At the start of the season there would've been a 'W' penciled into the column against this one, but if Adelaide continue to play in their woeful current style then this will be no easy match up.

I think there must be some reward given to players displaying good SANFL form at the selection table.

Outs - Vince is in the firing line, as is Jaensch. Luke Brown in defence has been up and down and could be looking at a spell.

Ins - If Brodie Smith is fit then I think he deserves to come straight back in, he is a quality player that we have missed off half back. There is some talk of the much maligned Tambling getting a shot, I'm not so sure about that one. Kerridge could also be looked at.

If Adelaide are serious about challenging again this year then a statement needs to be made this weekend.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R4 - Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs Empty Re: R4 - Adelaide vs Western Bulldogs

Post by Lee Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:47 pm

On SANFL form, Lewis Johnston and Jarryd Lyons must be getting close.

One for later, GN:

Rory Laird has been getting close to 30 possessions per game across half-back for Westies. To me, he looks a gun and I wouldn't be surprised if he's promoted from the rookie list to play before the season's out.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:55 pm

I have all of those names being thrown around R&B.

They deserve their opportunity and it is time to make some changes IMO, but at the same time none will provide a miracle cure to Adelaide's current problems.

That can only come from the core players.

The way we've been smashed in the centre square this year is just awful and very difficult to watch. It harks back to the last couple of years of Craig's tenure.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:07 pm

I attribute that blunder to Jaensch myself, it wasn't Wright's fault IMO. Jaensch shouldn't have been calling for it - he calls for the footy far to often when he shouldn't.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Booney Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Who, in your opinion GN, would be a better forward prospect between Johnston and Jenkins? IMO, Jenkins is too slow to play as a key forward. Even resting ruckman need to be able to get up on the wing and get back, he just seems to slow across the ground...or, he doesn't read the play all that well.

Clearly Walker is having to shoulder far too much of the leading/contesting in the forward 50 and is being undone by the opposition third man up.

Porplyzia is down, Vince would be on the outer IMO, Johncock might not be happy with how he has been used/treated, Jacobs looks to be battling to get off the ground.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:42 pm

Tough one. Johnston looks a good prospect, but I wouldn't be pulling the trigger on Jenkins for a few more weeks yet personally. I don't think the forward line should be subject to major reno's at this point in time.

Midfield and defence are the ones who need the rockets right now.

Agree with all your thoughts on Porplyzia, Vince, Johncock and Jacobs.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:43 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Well well well,

Aren't Adelaide in a bit of a state at the moment?

The midfield, pegged as their biggest strength pre-season, has become dysfunctional. As a result, the inexperienced defence is copping it, and the much heralded attack is being starved of supply.

It all adds up to headaches galore for Sanderson and Co going into this match.

At the start of the season there would've been a 'W' penciled into the column against this one, but if Adelaide continue to play in their woeful current style then this will be no easy match up.

I think there must be some reward given to players displaying good SANFL form at the selection table.

Outs - Vince is in the firing line, as is Jaensch. Luke Brown in defence has been up and down and could be looking at a spell.

Ins - If Brodie Smith is fit then I think he deserves to come straight back in, he is a quality player that we have missed off half back. There is some talk of the much maligned Tambling getting a shot, I'm not so sure about that one. Kerridge could also be looked at.

If Adelaide are serious about challenging again this year then a statement needs to be made this weekend.

So what's changed from last year, other than not having a 2nd key forward (Tippett)?? I'm not a Crows fan, so I don't watch them very often, if at all.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 pm

bigclock wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:I attribute that blunder to Jaensch myself, it wasn't Wright's fault IMO. Jaensch shouldn't have been calling for it - he calls for the footy far to often when he shouldn't.

Just because someone calls for it doesn't mean you give it off. Wright needs to be able to take responsiblity and take the kick. A cooler calmer head is what was required. For goodness sake you didn't see Ollie Wines take off and play on or give a quick handball when he had his shot for goal - took on the pressure and delivered (he is going to be a good 'un).

Agreed - but you also didn't see a teammate screaming in Wines' ear for the give off, they were encouraging him to go back and take the kick.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:48 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote: So what's changed from last year, other than not having a 2nd key forward (Tippett)?? I'm not a Crows fan, so I don't watch them very often, if at all.

Attitude and workrate, plain and simple.

There are too many players being lazy and living off last year IMO, not to mention relying on Dangerfield & Sloane to do the hard work for them.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am

The loss of Van Berlo will be a bit of a blow as far as his capacity as a run with player.

He has had little offensive impact so far this year though, so it could be a blessing in disguise as it gives an opportunity for someone else to come in and showcase their wares.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 am

I went along in trying conditions yesterday and it was nice to be rewarded by Adelaide finally giving a solid 4 quarter effort against the Bulldogs.

There were plenty of positives to come out of the game. The defence was rock solid and the efforts of Otten in particular were the highlight. Rutten & Reilly also displayed shades of last year, and Luke Brown was very encouraging with a couple of nice little runs through the lines.

I liked the set up of Dangerfield on the wing and then drifting forward. Sloane was excellent as always, those conditions were right up his alley.

The overall positive was the greater contributions of the 2nd and 3rd tier players really. The inclusions held their own, Laird, Kerridge and Lynch all looked quite comfortable. Crouch was excellent in his third game also, a great goal in the 3rd that got everyone on their feet!

There are still some concerns though particularly in the centre square. Despite the score line we still got smashed in the centre clearances 12-4, better sides will make us pay (and have already this year).

Thompson’s bizarre bump might attract the attention of the match review panel also, although the Channel 7 commentators didn’t seem to think there was much in it.

I thought despite only kicking the one goal Tex Walker had a solid game. Although not kicking goals I think he’s still been very good this year so far, he would’ve had a direct hand in around 8-10 goals this year not off his own boot. His work up the ground is excellent, I like that he’s not content to just sit in the forward 50 and is prepared to work hard to create scoring opportunities. I think he’ll crack a game open very soon.

On to next week and a trying assignment against the Blues at the MCG. It will be a tough game but hopefully the lads can take some confidence out of yesterdays game and build some momentum.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:16 pm

i was offered tickets & a ride down there so i went, what a boring Scrappy game, the Crows handled the ball better, they also looked dangerous when going forward, the Bullfrogs tried hard & would get plenty of hard balls only to turn it over in the next possesion or two & didn't ever look dangerous going forward, i must admit that i enjoyed Richmond & Glenelg oval matches the previous 2 nights but was boored with what i saw, perhaps watching 2 good sides would be more enjoyable but i doubt it as i remember being boored at a North Melbourne V Essendon match at the MCG a few years back
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:38 pm

I quite enjoyed the wet weather footy bayman. Sometimes it's nice to see a good honest contest without the usual set plays, fat sides, zone defences, forward presses etc. Laughing

I know I know, I could just go watch a local match...... Wink
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum: