occupational health & safety

4 posters

Go down

occupational health & safety  Empty occupational health & safety

Post by bayman Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:12 pm

this has been bugging me since the Sturt v Port match at Norwood Oval & before i ask the question i know i'll hear from AH, Scrappy & others that they've played there for over 100 years etc etc

ok, when one light tower went off they stopped the game at 1/4 time for about half an hour & on the radio they said it was stopped for ''occupational health & safety reasons'' had an interview with the SANFL CEO & there the rules & fair enough but if i were a player i'd be more worried about the wall on the Western side rather than a dark section in a forward pocket, while a player may not have hit the wall in 100+ years & done huge damage or injury it doesn't mean it wont happen & given the speed of the game today compared to yesteryear perhaps it is time to put padding on that wall before a player does hit the wall very hard
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

occupational health & safety  Empty Re: occupational health & safety

Post by Lee Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 pm

The force of the wind coming from the Norwood supporters in the stand above screaming about the umpires is sufficient to stop players crashing into the wall.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:04 am

bayman wrote:this has been bugging me since the Sturt v Port match at Norwood Oval & before i ask the question i know i'll hear from AH, Scrappy & others that they've played there for over 100 years etc etc

ok, when one light tower went off they stopped the game at 1/4 time for about half an hour & on the radio they said it was stopped for ''occupational health & safety reasons'' had an interview with the SANFL CEO & there the rules & fair enough but if i were a player i'd be more worried about the wall on the Western side rather than a dark section in a forward pocket, while a player may not have hit the wall in 100+ years & done huge damage or injury it doesn't mean it wont happen & given the speed of the game today compared to yesteryear perhaps it is time to put padding on that wall before a player does hit the wall very hard

In the 1960s, at least two players, Norwood's Peter Vivian and Woodville's Barrie Barbary did in fact both hit the wall. I can remember seeing the Barbary incident on TV. It was sickening.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:06 pm

i didn't know that, thanks rig, i remember seeing a former Central player shoving his opponent towards the wall, it was either last year or the year before, i realize players already 'prop' when nearing the wall but one day the wall will get another victim besides the two men rig mentioned & it could be both devastating to a victim & financially could be astronomical
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 pm

bayman wrote:i didn't know that, thanks rig, i remember seeing a former Central player shoving his opponent towards the wall, it was either last year or the year before, i realize players already 'prop' when nearing the wall but one day the wall will get another victim besides the two men rig mentioned & it could be both devastating to a victim & financially could be astronomical

Think it was Jason Sutherland that did that.

I'm surprised the SANFL hasn't taken any action over it. It's an accident waiting to happen (not that Coopers Stadium hasn't had it's fair share of safety issues in recent years with exploding light globes and people breaking their legs jumping the fence etc).

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum