FOOTYfollower
brodlach
Gingernuts
8 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

R2 - Port V GWS Empty R2 - Port V GWS

Post by Gingernuts Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:48 am

Well haven't the Port fans come out of the woodwork this week? Fair enough too after 2 long years with little to no hope.

Although they flogged a side likely to be close to the bottom this year, there were plenty of signs to say that they are finally on a path towards improvement.

This week gives them another chance to build their confidence at home against GWS. I don't think it will go all their way as GWS was pretty good against the Premiers last week. That was the local Sydney derby however and I think they will find it more difficult to bring the same game to AAMI Stadium this week.

Port should get their by a reasonable margin this week (and hopefully Wines & Ebert rack up the Supercoach stats again for me! Very Happy )
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R2 - Port V GWS Empty Re: R2 - Port V GWS

Post by brodlach Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:21 am

Port win this weekend and they will:

Win the Premiership
Rising Star Award (Wines)
Brownlow (Hartlett or Boak)
Coleman (Schultz)

Wink Wink

Thats the hype around them at the moment,
brodlach
brodlach

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Hype about Port? Oh there musn't have been a Crows game for a couple of weeks for that to have happened.

I'm sure when the Crows are back playing again we'll hear about Dangerfield's cat, or Ellis-Yeoman is the next Adam Goodes, or the next batch of apricot slices cooking.
FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:28 pm

Well maybe - but you've just perpetuated it by making this thread about Adelaide when it's actually about Port and their next game.

Back to Port, and I agree that I haven't seen this hype around Port for a good 2 years I reckon. The most vocal of my Port following friends have been in hybernation for a long, long time, and last week they were loud and proud for the first time in ages.

It's good to see (....I guess Wink )

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:56 pm

Not really - just explaining why there is some (increased) talk about Port Wink
FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:13 pm

One win against a lowly team and they have been front page of the paper nearly everyday. All forms of media have talked them up, not to mention some of the "supporters" who have sprung up this week and mentioned numerous times that they are on top of the ladder
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:45 pm

I would like to think we win comfortably this week in the battle of the two youngest teams in the comp. ( Yep, Ports side last week had a younger average age than GC - only GWS younger )

The emotion of the McCarthy tribute will flow early on and typically emotion isnt the type of fuel to fill the tank for a full match, but....that emotion in football circles is typically a milestone match, a player retirement, a coach leaving or beginning etc etc. Fortunately, it is not often the emotion of acknowledging a fallen mate. A bloke who clearly, is just 12 months, had a massive impact on the playing group and is often defined as one of the best mates anyone could have. ( I heard this prior too his passing, so it isnt just an off the cuff comment now he is gone )

Having said that I really, really like the midfield Port have now gathered :

Boak - Pick 5 - 24 years old
Brad Ebert - 7/23
Wingard - 6/19
Hartlett - 4/22
Broadbent - 5/22
Gray - 9/25
Monfries - 14/26
Wines - 7/18

Couple that with a fit Redden and Lobbe ( making it impossible for the coaching staff to leave one out ) giving Westhoff the flexibility to roam and more importantly relieving him of the physical toll being the second ruckman took on him at times.

Schulz, Neade, Monfries, Wingard, Westhoff, Hartlett ( who can kick 'em from outside 50 with ease ), Boak and Ebert all capable of multiple goals....*Jeez Boon, get a little more excited*

On this week, Port will win 50+.

The McCarthy tribute and the impact that will have on the players IMO, will be massive. I expect a good crowd of 25,000 or more and the first home game on a Saturday night will see us prevail with some ease I feel.

I cant bloody wait.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Hope there's a good crowd and it's good to see Port on the rise.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:30 pm

Fact is that David Koch can not seem to put a foot wrong with his leadership at the Power so far, every decision he has made or overseen has proved to be a good one for the club. Recruiting, sponsorships, staffing, he seems to be bringing a number of things together at Port.

My mail is that ticket sales are doing quite well for this weekends match and I suspect they are a strong chance of being over 27 000 this weekend. Fact is if Port make money, so do the SANFL which is good for everyone.

Onto the actual game however and I suspect that it will be a very good game to watch. Port have some good players injured or playing in the SANFL at present and several that played last week played such a game that they cannot be demoted so the pressure is right on for spots on their list, one would think Robbie Gray would have to get a go sooner or later though. Ollie Wines will likely get some close attention this week and it will be good to see how the young bloke handles himself. I think Port will win this and win it well as they did last week.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Go the Giants Very Happy
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Ben W wrote:Fact is that David Koch can not seem to put a foot wrong with his leadership at the Power so far, every decision he has made or overseen has proved to be a good one for the club. Recruiting, sponsorships, staffing, he seems to be bringing a number of things together at Port.

My mail is that ticket sales are doing quite well for this weekends match and I suspect they are a strong chance of being over 27 000 this weekend. Fact is if Port make money, so do the SANFL which is good for everyone.

Onto the actual game however and I suspect that it will be a very good game to watch. Port have some good players injured or playing in the SANFL at present and several that played last week played such a game that they cannot be demoted so the pressure is right on for spots on their list, one would think Robbie Gray would have to get a go sooner or later though. Ollie Wines will likely get some close attention this week and it will be good to see how the young bloke handles himself. I think Port will win this and win it well as they did last week.

I think a lot of that goes on hype and the new regime etc. A hive of expectation etc.
And not of that is bad. But it does need to be sustained and that is what we have to wait and see about.
Going on Booney's first rounf draft pick list above, that is impressive and those guys are now needing to step up as their development kicks off.

There is a lot to be excited about re Port's young list, but thy now need to start delivering on it. That may not be this season, but you would expect them to reap rewards like that expected of Gold Coast.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:02 am

Booney wrote:On this week, Port will win 50+.
I expect a good crowd of 25,000 or more and the first home game on a Saturday night will see us prevail with some ease I feel.

56 points.25,122.

Not bad at all. Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am

Nice work Booney, this weeks X-Lotto numbers now thanks
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Booney wrote:
Booney wrote:On this week, Port will win 50+.
I expect a good crowd of 25,000 or more and the first home game on a Saturday night will see us prevail with some ease I feel.

56 points.25,122.

Not bad at all. Very Happy

not good enough for me, i took the (against my usual principles) Norwood 40+ into Port 60+ @ $13.68 & bloody Port 62 points up 30 minutes into the last & thought nope we can't let bayman collect Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 am

A mate had $10 > $450

Port 39+
Collingwood 1-24
Geelong 1-24
Hawthorn under 39.5