To win the premiership flag.
Our boys who play this grand old game,
Are always striving for glory and fame!
See the bombers fly up, up,
The other teams they don't fear,
They all try their best,
But they can't get near,
As the bombers fly up!

Disappointing performance from the AFC in front of a sold out home crowd, poor kicking for goal, poor decision making under pressure all added up to the Crows getting their ar$e$ served up to them on a plate again.

Guess its a little unfair to blame the playing group however for behavior that clearly started at the top of the management of the club though.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Round 1, Adelaide vs Essendon Review Empty Re: Round 1, Adelaide vs Essendon Review

Post by Gingernuts Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Served up again? I thought it was round one.

I'm not sure what you're alluding to with the behavior comment either.

Tough night tonight, Adelaide played poorly particularly in the midfield, but it's very early days yet. The likes of Dangerfield and Sloane will respond.

I think Essendon's longer preseason showed tonight also. Comfortably the better side tonight in the end.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek

Back to top Go down

Round 1, Adelaide vs Essendon Review Empty Re: Round 1, Adelaide vs Essendon Review

Post by bayman Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 pm

big & harsh call after one match , surely with what Essendon has gone through you'd expect them to 'fire up' hell even Cronulla won their first match this year

A HA memo to myself, next team to get done back them to win their next match
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:18 pm

I am not trying to be rude, but Adelaide did better than Essendon last season and with a sold out crowd behind them they should have had every advantage to win it and should have been expected to, by their fans also, making excuses for them helps no one.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 pm

No excuses offered by me. Beaten by a better side on the night tonight. One match does not maketh a season however.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:39 am

Picked Essendon. Only 1 point off the margin too, just need 8 more right this round and I might be a chance to win a whopper. Rolling Eyes

We'll still finish ahead of them.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:21 am

Adelaide just looked like they forgot to take their vitamins...

*boom* *crash*
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58 am

Adelaide played brilliant football for the first 10 minutes, racing out to a 22 point lead. It looked like it was going to be a long night for Essendon, but Essendon responded, and Adelaide crumbled under Essendon's response, racing out to an easy 35 point win.

A very lazy pre-season for Adelaide has now began to creep into the season proper. The players are going to have to pull their heads out of their backsides soon or the season will be over very quickly for them. There was very little cohesiveness in the side tonight. Players unable (or unwilling) to read the play, long bombing kicks to nowhere, handpasses to unsuspecting players who would subsequently fumble and turn the ball over, a pathetic defence that bled goals easily for most of the night. All up, it was a shocker of a night for Adelaide.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:03 am

I didn't think our defence was too bad BT. Otten, Talia, Reilly, Henderson, and Brown before he went off all did the best they could. They were under seige though, and there's only so much you can do when your midfield is letting their opposition run rampant.

Last night was all about the midfield, or lack theirof, for mine.

One slight concern I have is the effect of the new ruck rules on Sauces game. He had the least impact last night than any game I can recall since he's been at the club. I hope his advantage wasn't his bodywork, otherwise the game could be very different for him from now on.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:15 am

If Talia did the best he could, he won't see much game time this year IMO.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:18 am

In terms of the new rules, you just have to wait until Round 14 or so before the umpires forget about having a hot whistle for these stupid little things and then the game may get slightly back to what we're used to.

I wonder though, has anyone thought that the rule changes have been necessary due to legal ramifications. I get the feeling the AFL has brought these changes in to somewhat prevent a player or ex-player from suing the organisation if they get injured or have long-term medical issues as a result of the game.

You read and see so many stories now about what concussion is doing to players we watched in the 80s and 90s.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:17 pm

Hard to believe that with the "new Modra" (Walker), and the "new Judd" (Dangerfield), that they could play so badly.

I'm looking forward to the "new Platten" (Sloane) and "new Glenn Jakovich" (Talia) calls throughout the coming year, too.

FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Once Hird put Hocking onto Dangerfield as a tag his possessions for the rest of the game did not equal those of his first quarter. Without the influence of Dangerfield the Crows began to crumble. No doubt the other AFL coaches watched that with some interest. Others must step up to take the load from Dangerfield if the AFC is to be successful in coming weeks.
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Yes of course, but they do require some assistance in the stoppages from teammates too with blocks and shepherds etc.

Judd receives that protection from his teammates.

I heard one of Dangerfield's teammates expressing their need to do this now that he is a marked man.

Observing the stoppages from all clubs is like watching a chess game the way the pieces are moved about to open a clear path.

Some are obviously better at it than others when they have a gun midfielder who can exploit the narrowest of passage through the bodies.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:03 pm

bigclock wrote:
Ben W wrote:Once Hird put Hocking onto Dangerfield as a tag his possessions for the rest of the game did not equal those of his first quarter. Without the influence of Dangerfield the Crows began to crumble. No doubt the other AFL coaches watched that with some interest. Others must step up to take the load from Dangerfield if the AFC is to be successful in coming weeks.

Paddy must stand up. If he is as good as everyone keeps saying he is - the next Judd etc. those types of players handle a tag - mostly with ease, through hard running and heart. If he can't he may end up the next Danyle Pearce.

What? I've watched alot of Danyle Pearce and Dangerfield offers many things Pearce never did or will. Thats about as bad a comparison as I have seen.

Dangerfield needs to learn to give the first option up instead of tucking the ball under one arm and trying to burst through packs. It no doubt worked for him in junior grades and a little last year, although I think he is playing more "inside" now as opposed to the outside / half forward role he played more of last year. I think they are seeing him replacing Thompson as the ball winner in a year or two and are moulding him for that. He just needs to trust his instinct and give the first "give".

Sloane is more of a natural outside and I think he'll assume that role.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:23 pm

I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit full stop really.

If the Adelaide midfield serve up that effort for a month running, then it's time to reach for the red button.

I think focussing on Adelaide's shortfalls also takes away from the efforts of the Essendon midfield. They played cracking footy after quarter time.

I am concerned about the next game against Brisbane up there - but I do feel that the team is too good to serve up that sort of effort two games in a row. Not saying we'll beat Brisbane as they are tracking pretty well at the moment also, but I do think we'll see a better effort from Adelaide.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 pm

I didn't get excited once when talking about Adelaide, I promise. Very Happy

Just chipped in my $0.02 worth....

I do have one thing I would like to add though, GN. That is you blokes will need to do everything you can to protect and preserve Jacobs this year. He is, IMO, your most important player by the length of Anzac Hwy and without him you will be hard pressed to give Thompson, Dangerfield etc first use of the ball. If I were coaching against Adelaide, he would be made to really, really earn every feel of leather. I mean really....really earn it.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Booney Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Typical Port Adelaide? Thanks mate, I resemble that remark. Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm

Booney wrote:I didn't get excited once when talking about Adelaide, I promise. Very Happy

I do have one thing I would like to add though, GN. That is you blokes will need to do everything you can to protect and preserve Jacobs this year. He is, IMO, your most important player by the length of Anzac Hwy and without him you will be hard pressed to give Thompson, Dangerfield etc first use of the ball. If I were coaching against Adelaide, he would be made to really, really earn every feel of leather. I mean really....really earn it.

100% agree with you mate. Jacobs is Adelaide in a way. I do weep just a little each time I see Maric and Griffin playing their arses off. They we useless when we had them!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:I didn't get excited once when talking about Adelaide, I promise. Very Happy

100% agree with you mate. Jacobs is Adelaide in a way. I do weep just a little each time I see Maric and Griffin playing their arses off. They we useless when we had them!

I think they've been given a freer licence by their new coaches, finally allowing supporters to show their true talents and why they made it onto AFL lists in the first place. We all know Craig was a bit of a control-freak.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum