Iconic Aussie Pubs

Go down

Iconic Aussie Pubs Empty Iconic Aussie Pubs

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 pm

OK folks I am sure we have all been in many pubs that capture the essence of Aussie drinking and social culture.
Put your stories here about pubs that have captured your imagination for whatever reason.

Micky J's trip to Melbourne and his pending visit to see Chloe at Young and Jackson's provided the spark to start this series.

Let's see where the journey takes us! drunken
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Iconic Aussie Pubs Empty Re: Iconic Aussie Pubs

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm

The Louth Hotel aka "Shindy's Inn"

The first thing I here you say, is "where the hell is Louth?".
This one is on the Darling River in NSW about an hour this side of Bourke.
(So I guess technically it isn't "the back of").

However, on a warm Saturday afternoon a few mates and I happened into this virtual tin shed to sample a cold frothy after about 500km of travel from Broken Hill.

You wouldn't normally consider such a pub very iconic, nor all that noteworthy. However, when the 12th man from the local cricket game comes in for some ice for the drinks break and sits down to grab a quick coldie, it is more about the ambience of the place and the characters who frequent it, than the actual premises.

There is a book (one of many) written by a bloke I played cricket with called Bill (Swampy) Marsh who has toured the outback in search of remote iconic pubs. The Louth Hotel makes his list of stories and Swampy retells that the pub boasts the best chips for 100 kilometres.

Well I had to put that theory to the test and ordered a plate.
Well they were right, they were the best chips for 100 km only by virtue of the fact that the nearest other commercial kitchen was at least that far away.

The other noteworthy, thing that was hard to miss, was the domestic animals strutting in and out of the front bar. These ones had feathers and the chickens roamed around as if they were just one of the patrons. I am not sure if they were part of the menu and you in fact, selected which one you wanted crumbed into schnitzel.

However, a pub is generally rated ultimately on one thing. "Is the beer cold?" ......and it was.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum