Lee
brodlach
Wolf Man
Admin
9 posters

Go down

Sportsbeat Weekly SANFL Columns Empty Sportsbeat Weekly SANFL Columns

Post by Admin Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:05 am

Chris Kendall's (CK) weekly SANFL columns in Sportsbeat feature previews of the week's round during the season, as well as a opinion/news piece.

The first two pre-season editions were released Friday March 8 and March 15, and the season predictions for the first six clubs are below. The final three clubs will appear in this Friday's (March 22) edition, available from pubs, clubs, many SANFL clubs and SAAFL clubs.

CENTRAL DISTRICT:

Ins: Jackson Potter (Sydney), Sam Milne (NSW), Dylan Hewett, Tim Meulindyks (interstate), Seb Guilhaus (returns to SANFL from country), Jack Osborn (AFL listed – Adelaide)

Outs: Chris and James Gowans (retired), Andrew Hayes (Port Magpies), Chad O’Sullivan, Matthew Westhoff (North Adelaide), Jack Hannath (Fremantle),
Troy Menzel (Carlton), Eddie Sansbury (QLD), Damian Hynes (SAAFL), Jackson O’Brien, Damian Wittwer, James Lawton (released)

A major period of turnover for the Bulldogs this season, with close to half a team gone and only a handful of incoming replacements. Some of the incoming players will add depth to the lineup, but the overriding concern is the ability of juniors to step straight into the senior breach if needed. The Under 18s finished bottom and while the reserves won the flag from fifth in 2012, it does leave doubts about how well the current list could sustain a run of injury or loss of form.

There is no doubting the experience of Central however, and certainly, the pride in this group to try and return to the top three will be one that burns deep within the club. A exit without a finals win last year is a major spur to coach Roy Laird to turn things around at Elizabeth, but this looks beyond even this group and the coaching staff in 2013.

PREDICTED FINISH: Sixth

GLENELG:

INS: Andrew Hooper (Western Bulldogs), Dylan McNeil (Sydney), Hayden Jolly (returns from Gold Coast), Shaun Tapp (NT Thunder), Tim Walsh, Ryan McInerney (Port Magpies, via country leagues), Dylan Gamble, Carl Slape (South East zone) , Lachlan Roach (Adelaide Uni), Darcy Armfield (returns from country), Boyd McCurry (Port Lincoln), Tim Klaosen (AFL listed – Adelaide), Tom Clurey (AFL listed – Port Adelaide)

OUTS: Ben Kennedy (Collingwood), Nathan Stark (Melbourne), Tim O’Brien (Hawthorn), Brodie Murdoch (St Kilda), Daniel Kirk (Woodville/West Torrens), Shannon Snook (South Adelaide), Sam Rudolph (retired), Drew Clayfield, Scott Giddings, Scott O’Shaughnessy, Clint Diment (released)

While the Tigers lose four to the AFL, the club would have reasonably anticipated these and planned ahead, so the impact shouldn’t be as large as perceived. Kirk’s loss will take some flexibility away in key position roles, but if Walsh can show the same form he did in his time with Port, then he should fill the breach in ruck and up forward neatly. Hooper will add some bite and spark around the middle and in attack, and McNeil’s precise disposal and goal sense will also give coach Kris Massie further options on the scoreboard.

It’s difficult, however, to line up exactly where Glenelg sits in the scheme of things. Outside of Ruory Kirkby, it is difficult to find many other options that can consistently kick 2-3 goals a match and with a defence that was the fourth poorest last year, Rudolph’s loss will be felt. A team that is more than capable of causing upsets this year, but not sure the list has improved enough to push for finals:

PREDICTED FINISH: Seventh

NORTH ADELAIDE:

INS: Nathan Gordon (Sydney), Matthew Campbell (returns – North Melbourne), Jordan Wilson-King (returns – Fremantle), Daniel Archer (St Kilda), Nick Dinham, Tom Langford (Norwood), Chad O’Sullivan, Matthew Wesfhoff (Central District), Joe Anderson (Sturt), Sam Siggins (AFL Listed – Adelaide)

OUTS: Mitch Clisby (Melbourne), Sam Mayes (Brisbane), Daniel Currie (North Adelaide), James Allan (returns to Victoria), James Bennett (returns to A.C.T), Clint Alleway (retired)

Last year’s barnstorming finish to the season, when the Roosters finished third, would ordinarily leave fans anticipating either holding their place or rising further. The small matter of some key departures, however, will be very hard to fill. Conservatively, with Allan, Bennett, Alleway and Currie all leaving, the club needs to replace around 70 disposals, 25 marks and 25 hitouts a match from somewhere, along with the sheer class factor of all players. Campbell will go some degree toward adding bite to the attack, and Langford and to a lesser extent Westhoff further height in attack, but there still look to be some gaps in coach Josh Francou’s lineup now.

There is still plenty to like about North, however, and even allowing for the departures, there is a fair case to make for them returning to finals. Whether they can make the necessary ground to rise further remains to be seen, however.

PREDICTED FINISH: Fourth.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sportsbeat Weekly SANFL Columns Empty Re: Sportsbeat Weekly SANFL Columns

Post by Admin Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 am

NORWOOD:

INS: Matthew Panos (returns – Western Bulldogs), Anthony Wilson, Luke Wilson (Port Magpies), Sam Baulderstone (North Adelaide via Mount Compass), Scott Oakley (GVFL), Jesse Aish (returns – BL&G League), Lewis Stevenson (AFL draftee – Port Adelaide)

OUTS: Jaryd Cachia (Carlton), Dean Terlich (Melbourne), Nathan Batsanis (returns to Port Melbourne), Alex Stopp (Sturt), Tom Langford, Nick Dinham (North Adelaide), Roland AhChee (South Adelaide), Luke Jericho, Angus Clarke (overseas), James Gallagher (retired)

A big task for any reigning premier to go back-to-back, but already Norwood look well placed to complete the double. While they have lost some valuable ballgetting ability through the midfield, the departures of Cachia and Batsanis were anticipated, and Terlich had already been attracting AFL attention for some time. Clarke’s loss is a blow, and that leaves the club vulnerable in ruck – a position they ranked last in for hitouts in 2012.

In saying there, there is plenty of hunger in the reserves to place renewed pressure on the senior list and if Panos can replicate his early trial form in the real stuff, then it is hard to see any of the other eight clubs making sufficient improvement to go past them.

PREDICTION: Premiers

PORT MAGPIES:

INS: Henry Slattery (Essendon), Andrew Hayes (Central District), Will Northeast (Woodville/West Torrens), Jacob Surjan (full time at Magpies after AFL delisting), Ollie Wines, Jake Nead (AFL draftees – Port Adelaide)

OUTS: Tim Broomhead (Collingwood), Anthony and Luke Wilson (Norwood), Jeremy Clayton, Mark Dolling, Brad Mercer, Jarrod Young, Daniel Lees, Jamie Solly, Corey Solly (retired/country football)

Hopeful of a return to finals action, the Alberton faithful will become impatient if they don’t see sustained improvement in 2013, albeit from a young list. The retirements of the likes of Clayton, Dolling and Mercer take plenty of experience from the list, and the class factor of Clayton in particular, will be felt heavily at times. They also welcome a new coach, with former Adelaide Crow Ken McGregor stepping into the hot seat.

They do look stronger in attack with the additions of Slattery and Hayes, and having Surjan permanently will also add steel and grit in defence and through the middle. The trick for McGregor will be to sustain the youthful enthusiasm through a long season and extracting the best from the older heads at Alberton. There is no doubt they will cause upsets during the year but despite some cause for optimism, it’s hard to make a case for them at the business end.

PREDICTION: Eighth

SOUTH ADELAIDE:

INS: Brett Eddy, Brede Seccull (VFL – Collingwood), Jordan Taylor (Murray Bushrangers), Tom Fields (Labrador), John McDonald (Sturt), Roland AhChee (Norwood), Kyle Hartigan (AFL draftee – Adelaide), Mason Shaw (AFL draftee – Port Adelaide)

OUTS: Andrew Ainger, Lachlan Carey (Woodville/West Torrens), Ben Casley (returns to Victoria), Xavier Watson (Eyre Peninsula), Jacob Crate, Michael Leonard (local)

The disappointment of missing finals action last year will burn very deep with coach Ron Fuller’s men, particularly after coughing up so many matchwinning leads at home. Minimal overall losses and some solid arrivals can only top off a list that boasts one of the strongest midfields in the competition. The attack will be a little lighter for Ainger’s departure, but they will welcome Eddy’s addition in this respect. If McDonald and AhChee can make the most of their second chance and become regulars, then that will offer rebound from defence – traditionally a weakness for the Panthers.
Not many teams can rise from missing the finals to pressing for a preliminary final berth in one season, and ordinarily, there are question marks over South, but this finally looks the year that Fuller’s plan will come to fruition. A risk nonetheless, but can see South going very deep into September.

PREDICTION: Second.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by brodlach Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Wolf Man wrote:Does anyone know Chris Kendall's qualifications?
I find his writing boring and simplistic and he has an awful voice for commentary on the ABC, sounds like a drunk woman!

WOW thats very unfair, certainly knows his SANFL better than most. His writing throughout the year is very good.

Remember his writing has to be simplistic for Port and Central supporters lol! lol! (just kidding)
brodlach
brodlach

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm

He was voted the most popular footy personality last season.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilH Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Qualificiations ???? .... Well if there was ever a course to gain SANFL Media Qualifications CK would probably be the best possible person to run it.

Why?

Well as someone who has worked within SANFL Media & SANFL clubs over the past 11 seasons and thus worked with or observed just about everyone who attempts to cover the league let me make the following observations.

- Chris is one of a rare handfull of media people who covers the SANFL accross all spectrums (TV - ABC, Radio - RPH, Print - Sportsbeat and Internet - here).

- ABC TV has noted his talent as he has risen through the ranks from the C31 days, to helping the late Moggy with Stats, to the Boundary and now one of the game time commentators. In my opinion all well earnt and well deserved progressions.

- Writes for one of only two outlets that previews each SANFL game (FOOT-e TIMES SA being the other).

- He covers the SANFL solely, writes from a SANFL (not AFL reserves) perspective and has a large network of contacts that makes his work in my opinion accurate, perceptive, based on strong knowledge and worth taking notice of.

- He is always professional in his preparation and presentation (Polish hat episode aside Smile ) and is very much the team player in whatever group he works with.

- Apreciation of writing styles and commentary tones / styles are very much subjective and Wolf Man you are very welcome to your opinion...... but the FOOT-e TIMES SA media poll taken through sites such as this last October came up with Chris being awarded the "Gold Logie" ... as the fans favourite most popular media personality ... so I guess you are in a minority on this one.

Last edited by PhilH on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Good write up CK and the best part was having your voice in the back of my head reading it to me... Very Happy

As far as the Magpies go, I agree with what you have written. Although I think there could be a major AFL influence on the Magpies. Brett Ebert, John Butcher and Graham Johncock ( I think ) will all see some significat time with the Magpies further adding to the Slattery,Surjan and Hayes additions.

The 'Pies are looking like a side wanting to play the AFL brand of possesion football under Ken Mc and may need to polish up on the skills if we are looking to "zone" and "switch" the ball across the back half.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Booney, has Slattery played a trial as yet?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:59 pm

No, I dont think he will be ready until about round 3.

As we all know, older players who dont get up and running with a good pre-season can often find it difficult to get through the season with any real form or fitness, but I would expect his fitness base from several AFL pre-seasons to hold him in good stead.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks, didnt think I had seen his name
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Wolf Man wrote:Does anyone know Chris Kendall's qualifications?
I find his writing boring and simplistic and he has an awful voice for commentary on the ABC, sounds like a drunk woman!

Mr WM, that is a huge payout there & not warranted, i actually find him articulate, direct, accurate in both play & the players in the play, perhaps if you can do a better job write to the media outlets & ask them to give you a trial, i'm sure an opportunity could be given to you, oh by the way how do you know what drunk women sound like ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

The "Drunk Women" analogy is considered to be a highly questionable reference to make in critiquing a media person. It seems a few others agree.

If you have a problem with someone then asking a question or querying its use, then perhaps you shouldn't have made it in the first place.

For it then to be used a second time, this one as a personal defence (of what I am still struggling to understand), is hard to relate to the original criticism of Kendall.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 am

Final teams previewed by CK

SANFL PREVIEWS PART THREE

Sturt:

INS – Michael Coad (returns – Gold Coast), Simon Potts (North Adelaide), Alex Stopp (Norwood), Anthony Carlisle (South Adelaide, via SFL), Sam Smith (SFL), Nick Pearce (SAAFL), Angus Graham, Rory Atkins (AFL Draftee – Adelaide). (Jack Hombsch and Angus Monfries also traded to Port Adelaide – aligned with Sturt)

OUTS: Joe Anderson (North Adelaide), Craig Evans (Norwood), Jade Sheedy, Sam Miles, James Plant (retired), Josh Cubillo (Victoria), Tristan Gum (WA), Mark Neilsen, Brendan Littler (local football)

Another testing year looming for Seamus Maloney’s charges. A heavy reliance in 2012 on AFL listed players – five of the top ten in the Best and Fairest were AFL listed – opens them to real risk of instability due to the behest of AFL clubs. While they have brought in some depth to complement the prized return of new captain Coad, they also lose plenty of experience with their departures.

Plenty of youngsters are gaining senior experience, however, and there are shades of the early Phil Carman era about this. While there will be short to medium term pain, the potential for long term gain is huge. Sturt’s biggest challenge, however, is off-field and will be paramount in 2013.

PREDICTION: Ninth

West Adelaide:

INS – Brad Mangan (North Melbourne), Travis Tuck (VFL), Ryan Anderson (returns)

OUTS: Brad Fisher, Fortunato and Natale Caruso, Ryan Willits (all returning to Victoria), Kaiden Brand (Hawthorn), Scott Blesing, Marc Borholm (Woodville/West Torrens), Ben Fisher (retired).

Last year’s Grand Finalists have the task of working to go one better after the disappointment of the nature of their defeat to Norwood. There was no shame in losing to one of the more dominant SANFL teams we have seen in the last 25 years, but the way in which they fell reopened the criticism surrounding their game plan.

The loss of Willits will be very tough to replace. Able to play in attack and ruck, this leaves a big load on second year senior lister, Peter Nelson. Add in the loss of Brad Fisher and the goal sense of the Caruso’s and it leaves high expectations on Mangan and Tuck to slot straight in. Picking West to slide is tough, but a few other clubs seem to have shuffled their list a little better thus far.

PREDICTION: Fifth

Woodville/West Torrens:

INS – Andrew Ainger, Lachlan Carey (South Adelaide), Marc Borholm, Scott Blesing (West Adelaide), Daniel Kirk (Glenelg), Tim Mackenzie (North Ballarat), Jarred Almond, Glenn Dawson, Matthew Jacquier, Jarrod Harding (all returning)

OUTS – Jimmy Toumpas (Melbourne), Tim Sumner (Gold Coast), Nick Hayes (Brisbane), Matthew McDonough (Richmond), Robert Eddy (returns to Victoria), Justin Cicolella, Robert Shirley, Mark McKenzie, Ben Greiger (retired)

2012 was largely a wasted year for the Eagles after the 2011 premiership. A terrible start to the season left them chasing ground all season, and they looked exhausted by the Elimination Final. Coach Michael Godden has that result burning deep within and they have recruited very carefully to fill their needs. While they look to have lost plenty on paper, in reality, most losses were long anticipated and gave the Eagles a head start on preparing for 2013.

Borholm and Kirk can rotate in key positions and ruck to take some pressure from Craig Parry, and provided Ainger and Adam Grocke do not crowd each other in attack with their similar styles, the potential is well and truly here for the Eagles to return right back into finals contention. The challenge will largely be a mental one, however, and a tricky opening seven rounds will tell the tale for them early.

PREDICTION: Third.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:13 am

2013 ROUND ONE SANFL PREVIEWS

Norwood v Port Adelaide (Coopers Stadium) – Thursday 7.40pm

Nothing like starting the season with the most traditional of SANFL rivals, both coming from polar opposite 2012 seasons. The Redlegs will know they are the hunted this year and that all teams will be lifting their level to match them, while Port will be working on arresting a lengthy slide to return to finals action.

While Norwood will have some injury concerns, there are a number of question marks hanging over the Magpies also. While they have recruited a couple of classy key position players, they have still lost much experience in the off-season, and the baton will be passed to many of the younger players such as Sam Gray and Zane Kirkwood to seize the opportunity to stand up.

It will be difficult for the home team to improve even further upon their dominant 2012 season, but even allowing for an opponent that has been relishing this challenge all pre-season, they should pack too many guns here.

RADIO: 5RPH

Tip: Norwood 37-48

West Adelaide v Central District (City Mazda Stadium) – Thursday 7.10pm

Across town, the qualifying final rematch from 2013 will have plenty of neutral fans scanning the results of this one. The big challenge is whether West can take their list one spot better in 2013 and snatch the premiership that has eluded them since 1983. For Central, their meek exit from the 2012 finals series will be burning deep within a playing list that has undergone one of its biggest revamps in years, with multiple retirements and departures.

The Bulldogs have had issues playing at night in the last season, dropping this corresponding fixture in round 3 last year, after going under to Norwood under lights the round prior, and their 17 point loss to North at night in round 24 last year seemed to trigger a malaise they couldn’t shake. They can’t afford a slow start to 2013, with their first four matches played after 6.30pm, but until we see how this group gels early, it’s hard to tip them against a home team rebounding from last year’s grand final.

RADIO: Life FM

Tip: West Adelaide 25-36

South Adelaide v Glenelg (Hiickinbotham Oval) – Friday 5.00pm

The Good Friday tradition at Noarlunga continues, with the Tigers making the relatively short trip up Lonsdale Highway to tackle a group that has been somewhat of a nemesis for them in recent seasons. A blistering second half in round 24 of 2012 both sank the Tigers at Glenelg, and was pivotal in sealing Joel Cross becoming the first Panther Magarey Medallist since Andrew Osborn in 1998.

Glenelg have recruited carefully this year, although still look a little light in the key positions. Andrew Hooper will add some bite in attack, but they need more support for the likes of Ruory Kirkby and Lachlan Button if they are to challenge for a finals berth. Conversely, height and mobility appears a recruiting strength this year for South, with Brett Eddy, Tom Fields and Kyle Hartigan (AFL listed) adding to their big man options and having solid pre-season trial efforts.

Always hard to line these two up early, but plenty to like about South this year and the jury remains out on Glenelg until we see them string a couple together.

Tip: South Adelaide 25-36

Sturt v Woodville/West Torrens (Envestra Park) – Saturday 2.10pm

The only game of round one played at the traditional slot, which gives Sturt added impetus to build visibility after a difficult off-season. They have snared some handy depth from other SANFL clubs, but need Michael Coad to return to the form he displayed before his AFL stint. The Eagles have also been busy at scanning other SANFL clubs for the right recruits and on paper, seem to have filled some holes in doing so.

The biggest challenge facing Sturt, as it did in 2012, is relying too heavily on AFL listed players. At times, they had eight AFL listed players in their line-up last year and while that is fine when the AFL clubs are injury free, the situation can turn very quickly in that regard and open some real holes around the ground. Tempting though it is to pick the heartwarming start to 2013 for the locals, the Eagles look to have too much talent to contain.

TV: ABC-TV

Tip: Woodville/West Torrens 25-36

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:11 am

2013 ROUND TWO SANFL PREVIEWS

Sturt v Port Adelaide (Coopers Stadium) – Friday 7.40pm

Sturt transfer a home game to Norwood at night, looking to build a new audience at a neutral venue. They would be hoping the momentum from an impressive first half against the Eagles carries over here, while Port will look for any improvement after a disappointing defeat at the hands of Norwood.

One encouraging aspect of Port’s defeat, however, was that they maintained an attacking mentality throughout, despite the margin. It would have been easy to shut up shop and try to flood and defend, but they kept trying things throughout. Against Sturt, they will need to carry that same philosophy in. It’s fair to say that the Double Blues do not have the same firepower to contain, but their ball movement in the first half against the Eagles was so impressive, that it gives them an edge here in what should be a very entertaining clash between two young and emerging groups.

Tip: Sturt 13-24

Woodville/West Torrens v West Adelaide (Maughan Thiem Hyundai Oval) – Saturday 2.10pm

First round winners, the western neighbours square off in what looms as a very interesting clash in trying to line up the respective formlines. The Eagles’ very poor first half against Sturt looked a distant memory as they completely swamped the Double Blues to win running away, while West’s blistering ten goal third term was enough to hold off a fast finishing Bulldogs.

The Eagles looked very impressive in attack at times last week, with former South forward Andrew Ainger strong with four goals, working strongly with Adam Grocke and Lee Staple. It will throw a fair task to the Bloods defence to contain all of them at once and if Craig Parry can get first hands to the pill in ruck and give his on-ballers first use at the centre clearances, they should be able to capitalise enough to hold their strong recent record against West at Woodville Oval.

ABC-TV

Tip: Woodville/West Torrens 13-24

Central District v North Adelaide (Playford Alive Oval) – Saturday 6.30pm

Great to see night football at Elizabeth, but the Bulldogs will remember the corresponding round 23 fixture under lights last year when North swamped them to go into finals action on a winning note. Many players from that night are gone, and coach Roy Laird has made his commitment to blooding youngsters crystal clear, with many of them repaying the faith strongly despite a loss to West.

The Roosters have been bubbling along quietly in the pre-season and working on regenerating a playing list that has seen plenty of changes. While the likes of James Allan, James Bennett, Daniel Currie and Clint Alleway are all gone, there are a number of hungry youngsters to seize their chance. It is going to be hard to line these teams up for a time as they settle and work into a routine, but despite so many changes, it’s still hard to go past the Bulldogs on home turf.

Tip: Central District 13-24

Glenelg v Norwood (Gliderol Stadium) – Saturday 6.30pm

Despite many of us tipping an opening round loss for the Tigers, they never looked seriously threatened against South in round one, reaping the benefits of a strong AFL contingent. Norwood were less than threatened in a routine and brutally efficient win over Port that sends an ominous warning again to the rest of the SANFL.

While there is a reasonable gap between the lists at this stage, Glenelg will certainly fancy their chances here, given their strong round 23 performance last year. They were able to restrict Norwood’s ball movement well, despite a narrow loss and worked their chances strongly when they had them. This will be a much sterner test than last week for them however, and the Redlegs should have too many guns for them.

Tip: Norwood 25-36

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:33 am

South v West (Hickinbotham Oval) - Friday 7.40pm

The home woes continue for South Adelaide, with a disappointing first round loss in the slot they aim to make their own, Good Friday. Losing so many home games in 2012 cost them momentum all year and they cannot afford to start off the same again. No such worries for West Adelaide, knocking over two of last year's finalists already in impressive fashion. Last week's win over the Eagles was one of their most emphatic performances in a long time, both high scoring and showcasing their impressive leg speed.

The Panthers have to draw a line in the sand at some point, if they are to be taken seriously by the competition as the genuine contenders that their list suggests they should be. A fast start will be imperative here. If West are allowed to dictate the game on their terms early, it will be very hard for Ron Fuller's men to reel them in. Until we see some consistency from South, however, it's hard to tip them against a unit playing very impressive football.

Tip: West Adelaide 13-24

Port v Glenelg (Alberton Oval) - Saturday 2.10pm

Both teams are licking their wounds after being smashed by Norwood in the opening two rounds, although there were differences in both methods. While the margins were similar, Port had passages where they attacked hard, a philosophy they took into the second half against Sturt last week. Glenelg faded notably in the second half, although were undermanned in attack.

On pure talent alone, the Tigers should have enough in hand against a Port outfit that is not the feared combination of years gone by, but still has a young list learning the style under Ken McGregor. The worry for them is over-reliance on AFL listed players. John Butcher and Graham Johncock booted twelve goals between them last week, and that is a luxury they cannot rely upon. The time is ripe for some of the younger players to seize their chances and while learning from the AFL players, build their own game and make their own mark. A perfect opportunity to do so this week and bring about the upset.

ABC-TV

Tip: Port Adelaide 1-12

North Adelaide v Sturt (Prospect) - Saturday 2.10pm

Despite the loss of new skipper Greg Gallman with a broken jaw, the Roosters still take plenty from an impressive 41 point win over Central. The way they moved the ball with precision into attack was very impressive, and they regularly caught the young Bulldogs on the hop. Sturt's penchant for great first halves and poor second ones nearly cost them the points against Port, squeaking home by 6 points after being up by 62 points in the third term. Ziggy Vitkunas builds as a cult hero at Unley, bagging five.

It is to be expected that a young squad like Sturt will have high octane periods followed by sluggish ones, but while they may get away with that against lower placed units, North will be a much sterner test. The Roosters look to have a plethora of midfield options to be contained, not to mention an attack that can create numerous opportunities from very little. All the keys point toward the Roosters moving to 2-0 by Saturday night.

Tip: North Adelaide 37-48

Central District v Norwood (Playford Alive Oval) – Saturday 6.30pm

Central’s rebuilding continues as they open the season with losses to West and North, but against two teams that already look likely to contest finals, the young Bulldogs are learning quickly about gelling as a unit. Norwood are having no such troubles, with massive wins in the first two rounds that are sending heavy notice to the other clubs as to how far they need to lift the bar to catch the Redlegs.

These clubs have shared many sterling battles over the years, and while Central have often had the measure, the balance of power looks to be slowly shifting toward Norwood being the current benchmarks. Despite this being at Elizabeth, Central’s recent record under lights at home, combined with their opponent, point to a Redleg victory.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:57 am

Great write ups CK
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:34 am

ROUND FOUR SANFL PREVIEWS

Norwood v Woodville/West Torrens (Coopers Stadium) – Friday 7.40pm

Night SANFL at two venues starts with the Redlegs hosting a beleagured Eagles outfit that seems to be struggling to put four quarters together. The bye may have sharpened them mentally, but considering how meekly they folded to West in round 2, they would need to. Norwood did not have it all their own way last week against Central, and shows the rest of the SANFL that they are by no means unbeatable.

Whether the Eagles are able to find the nick in that armour, however, is another story. As a rule, they match up well on Norwood, so they would fancy their chances here. If Andrew Ainger and Adam Grocke are afforded space in the forward 50 arc to feed off on the expected ruck advantage of Craig Parry, then they certainly have a chance here, but formlines look more reliable for Norwood overall.

West Adelaide v North Adelaide (City Mazda Stadium) – Friday 7.40pm

The form team of the competition, West look on a mission to change their game style to become the most serious challenger of 2013. Their pace and attacking power in three games this year has been very impressive and is proving hard to counter. North are also playing a similar brand of football, although took their time to shake a persistent Sturt last week.

The Roosters look to be successfully adjusting to life after James Allan, James Bennett and Clint Alleway, with many of the second tier players stepping up to take their chances. Nathan Gordon is shaping as one of the recruits of the year, and if Blood James Ezard goes to him in an attacking defensive role, that battle will be worth the price of admission alone. In what could already be a preliminary final preview, this far out from September, I’ll lean toward West at home.

Tip: West Adelaide 13-24

Sturt v South Adelaide (Envestra Park) – Saturday 2.10pm

For the third time this year, the Double Blues worked themselves into a winning position at half time last week, but frustratingly for their loyal fans, remain 1-2 after going under to North Adelaide. South, on the other hand, were never in it against West in going under by a humiliating 106 points. Their last quarter, in particular, opens some serious question marks about their mental strength when pressured, as well as their legitimacy to being considered genuine contenders.

The positive thing for Sturt coach Seamus Maloney is that his charges are playing with an attacking mentality and looking to take their chances from the first bounce and build momentum. They have been reeled in most times so far, but there are so many lingering doubts now about South, that the strong possibility exists that they will build too big a buffer this time. No doubt the Panthers will make a statement this week, but it’s just too dicey to pick what that statement will be until they demonstrate they can do it.

ABC-TV

Tip: Sturt 13-24

Glenelg v Central District (Gliderol Stadium) – Saturday 6.30pm

Both groups certainly had their chances to win last week, but poor conversion at critical times cost them. Glenelg should have put Port away earlier, but were overrun by a desperate young group on home turf, while Central moved up to challenge Norwood hard but came up nine points short.

The youngsters on both teams are certainly pushing their case hard for being the future of the club. The likes of Max Proud and Shaun Tapp for Glenelg, and Josh Waldhuter and Dylan Hewitt for Central are stepping up to the plate strongly to become the future of the club. In many ways, this game will depend on how these types of players adapt to the pressure of the situation. On balance, this just leans a cracking contest toward the Bulldogs.

Tip: Central District 13-24
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum