over the line
Lee
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

NBN - Page 2 Empty Re: NBN

Post by Lee Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:17 pm

1 Their broadband policy, as you know. Happy to agree that the NBN is an ALP product. 'Fraudbrand' is going gangbusters on twitter Very Happy

2 Yes, totally and absolutely. You surely don't believe what the Telegraph says on this is factual.

Do you Shocked NBN - Page 2 506203483
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:17 am

That's called a question, bc. Very Happy

It was answering your question
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:43 am

Instead of that, bc, have a laugh at this Very Happy

The Opposition Leader promised today that every Australian household would receive a free floppy disk drive and monochrome monitor under an Abbott-led government. Launching the Coalition’s long awaited response to the government’s National Broadband Network program, Mr Abbott denied that providing a floppy drive and monitor without the computing box to plug them into would leave Australian households with a second best solution.

“Second best is the sort of Labor extravagance that is bankrupting this country," he said. "If people want more they can easily spend a few thousand dollars to upgrade to a very fast 386 or even 486 computing box.”

When asked by Leigh Sales what a ‘386 computing box’ was, he admitted he wasn’t "across the brief" but, “Here’s everyone’s favorite! The internet’s Malcolm Turnbull!”

Mr Turnbull immediately deflected criticism of the lack of a computing box, by pointing out that the monochrome monitor was not some old fashioned TRS 80 green screen, but rather a much cooler-looking mandarin-hued model, which was more than adequate for most people’s needs.

Advertisement "WordStar looks smashing on this," he said.

When asked how much input he'd had into the final policy he smiled and insisted it was all Mr Abbott's work, "All of it. Nothing to do with me. Make sure you write that down."

The policy launch, which took place in a futuristic studio setting, and was attended by dozens of the nation’s top technology writers was an accident, sources close to Mr Abbott admitted later.

“It was supposed to be just Tony and Dennis Shanahan,” the spokesman said. “Dennis can’t even read his emails. A secretary types them out for him. We thought he’d be good for us.”

Instead, Mr Abbott had to repeatedly defer to his communications spokesman to handle the demanding technical details of the policy. Mr Turnbull admitted the whole thing was "really just a bag of dicks", but urged the assembled journalists to take note of how much more impressive he looked than his leader when talking about this stuff.

Mr Abbott, repeatedly trying to plug one of the demo model floppy drives into a power point said he "wasn’t really a tech head".

Reaction to the announcement was frothingly positive in the News Limited press, where news that the NBN would not be able to compete with Telstra was hailed as ‘excellent’ by major shareholder and noted Sith Lord, Rupert Murdoch.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opinion/blogs/blunt-instrument/free-floppies-a-policy-flop-20130410-2hldq.html#ixzz2Q6s7D4Am

I'd rather have something good a bit later than a crock a bit earlier NBN - Page 2 1920501681
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:04 am

bigclock wrote:So instead of reading a transcript of an interview with the communication minister I should read an opinion piece. From an writer with this description John Birmingham tells stories. Most of them true NBN - Page 2 506203483

I find it quite amusing that you believe that the ALP can deliver this project.

*Hang on let me insert a smiley to celebrate and validate my point* NBN - Page 2 1707509332 NBN - Page 2 476676312

Surely you're not being guilty of what you just accused me of, bc? (smiley insertion banned).

Read my post again, I said 'have a laugh at this".

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:27 am

You're right, bc, $90 billion isn't a laughing matter, but I had a chuckle at the article anyway. It's nice to see the funny side of life sometimes.

$90 billion dollars is, of course, merely a figure calculated by the Liberal Party, bc.

Seeing we disagree, let's have a technology expert website's opinion of your $90 billion.

“… even according to the Coalition’s own working, it’s very unlikely that Labor’s NBN policy will cost anywhere near $94 billion. If you read the Coalition’s background briefing paper to its rival NBN policy, what you’ll find is that the Coalition itself has developed a range of potential funding scenarios for Labor’s NBN, starting at around $45.3 billion. The magic $94 billion mark represents the worst possible case.”

More under a sign saying:

"TRUTH - NEXT EXIT"

http://delimiter.com.au/2013/04/11/94-billion-nbn-its-a-nice-unproven-soundbite/

Sometimes it's best for people not to take press releases (sorry, Daily Telegraph front pages) seriously.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:46 am

You accidentally left out the bit before your quote, bc.

Let me help you by posting it Wink

Fans of the Coalition’s rival broadband policy can be hard to find in Australia’s technology sector, with most preferring the Labor Federal Government’s more expansive National Broadband Network policy. However, according to telecommunications analyst Paul Budde, the Coalition’s plan may be better than many people think. In a new blog post entitled “The Coalition’s NBN plan is starting to look interesting”, Budde writes:
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm

Interesting analogy, bc, but unfortunately it's not very relevant.

I drive an old Lancer, over 200,000kms, so I couldn't afford either of them.

With the NBN, Telstra have said their copper network will only last about 15 years. That was 9 years ago, so the analogy is more like this:

Would you choose a Ferrari or a Camry, or an old Lancer?

Or, to put it another way, the LNP plan would give you a Ferrari for most of your trip, then you'd have to transfer to the Camry for the last bit.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Fair point, but my question would be what would you do in 15 years.

I reckon the Camry would be clapped out and the Ferrari would be going strong.

Still not quite relevant, as copper degenerates and fibre lasts way, way longer.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:22 pm

I think if the technology is available, then why shouldn't we use it?? Why shouldn't we upgrade our infrastructure? Why is it, when it comes to the crunch, Australians lie back on the premise of convenience and laziness. There are many things that I find silly about our Australian psyche. And when they drag it into public policy like this, it shites me to no end.

We cannot discover new seas unless we are prepared to leave the shore.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Read the reports on insulation and school buildings.

You'll find that they have been highly successful. The BER scheme had a 90 something percent success rate.

Unfortunately, most people just read the Murdoch headlines.

Ask the schools what they think of their new buildings.

If you don't want any of these things done, bc, then it stands to reason that unemployment would have been vastly higher than now.

As for waste, the Howard Governemnt was the biggest waste-spending government in our history. Had very favourable economic conditions and blew it on middle-class welfare.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm not denying that many things including hospitals etc still need urgent attention, and that we need to curb our debt etc. Not at all.

I'm just stating as a rural person, I'm sick to death of city people thinking that the world revolves around them.

Whilst the numbers of the NBN look scary, I believe that the rewards of having such infrastructure built will be tenfold.

I remind you, I am a paid up Coalition member. Doesn't mean I stand firm by every policy or fact/figure they produce.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Another anti-Government Murdoch quote, bc.

That's all they do.

Try this one instead:

Hey, big spender: Howard the king of the loose purse strings
January 11, 2013

Peter Martin

Australia's most needlessly wasteful spending took place under the John Howard-led Coalition government rather than under the Whitlam, Rudd or Gillard Labor governments, an international study has found.

The International Monetary Fund examined 200 years of government financial records across 55 leading economies.

It identifies only two periods of Australian "fiscal profligacy" in recent years, both during John Howard's term in office - in 2003 at the start of the mining boom and during his final years in office between 2005 and 2007.

The Rudd government's stimulus spending during the financial crisis doesn't rate as profligate because the measure makes allowance for spending needed to stabilise the economy.

The Whitlam Labor government of 1972 to 1975 also escapes censure.

Responding to the IMF report, shadow treasurer Joe Hockey, who was a minister for financial services in the Howard government, said the Coalition left Labor with a $20 billion surplus and no net debt.

"It was not John Howard and Peter Costello who wasted billions of taxpayer dollars on dangerous pink batts and overpriced school halls, it was this Labor government," he said.

The economists from the IMF's fiscal affairs department found the only other year of profligate spending during the past six decades took place during the conservative government of Robert Menzies, in 1960. It says the Menzies government was notably prudent in 1950.

In the postwar years of 1947 to 1949, the Chifley Labor government was deemed prudent as were the Scullin and Lyons Labor and Coalition governments between 1931 and 1935.

John Curtin's Labor government was profligate in 1942.

The study found that in broad terms Australia's government debt has been falling since 1932, when it peaked at 98 per cent of gross domestic product. Across all levels of government it is currently just above 20 per cent after climbing since the global financial crisis.

The budget balance has been broadly stable for half a century.

The IMF study mirrors findings of a 2008 Australian Treasury study that found real government spending grew faster in the final four years of the Howard government than in any four-year period since the 1990s recession.

The number of spending decisions worth more than $1 billion climbed from one in the first Howard budget to nine in the last. The proportion of savings measures fell from one-third of budget measures at the start of the Howard era to 1.5 per cent at the end.

In its final year in office, the Coalition boosted the AusLink national roads program by $2.3 billion and announced grants for water conservation and water buybacks worth $10 billion over 10 years.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/political-news/hey-big-spender-howard-the-king-of-the-loose-purse-strings-20130110-2cj32.html#ixzz2Q856YrKu

So much for Labor's wasteful spending.

That finding wasn't reported by News Ltd that I could see without a magnifying glass.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:44 pm

bc, it's a bit easier to deliver a surplus when your revenue is much bigger than it is now, in relative terms.

What you say doesn't alter the fact that John Howard was the most wasteful spending Government.

Unless you're prepared to discuss all of this in apple with apple comparisons in terms of ratios to GDP, it's a bit pointless.

However, you're right about the PM promising a surplus and not delivering. Not quite as big a lie as "they have weapons of mass destruction" (so let's kill a couple of hundred thousand), but correct all the same.

With that, I'm exhausted and leave the field for you.

Cue the cheers from other posters NBN - Page 2 1135981304
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum