+5
FOOTYfollower
howthewestwaswon
PhilH
Lee
Paul
9 posters

Go down

Sandy Roberts quits Channel 7 to sign on with Fox Footy  Empty Sandy Roberts quits Channel 7 to sign on with Fox Footy

Post by Paul Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 pm

Full Story

EXCLUSIVE: SANDY Roberts has walked out on Channel 7 after 34 years as a broadcaster to sign on with Fox Footy.

In the latest development in TV's news wars, the Herald Sun understands the Seven stalwart has been poached to call games and host programs on the football-only station.

Roberts, the weekday sports news reader for Seven, will inform the station today he is leaving, the latest dramatic change to Seven's news after the departure of veteran meteorologist David Brown.

Seven and Nine continue to fight a pitched battle over nightly news ratings, and Nine's commanding lead has forced Seven into recent changes.

Seven insiders said they believed Brown, 52, was unhappy about the decision to push him aside for Rooney, 30.

Roberts has not called games in recent seasons, but it is believed that after broadcasting to regional areas with radio callers Crocmedia he became confident he still had the fire in his belly.

He said in 2007 it was his decision not to call games for Seven given his weekday commitments with the network.

But the 62-year-old was constantly stopped in the street by fans asking about his absence, so his return clearly would be well received.

Fox Footy is known to believe the signing is a major coup given his reputation as a fan favourite in AFL circles. His son works at the network as a producer and Roberts will work across several shows.

The network will use him not only as a caller but also as host of some of the network's regular one-off specials.

Fox Footy has the rights to the All-Australian awards and AFL MVP award.

Roberts showcased his hosting skills at the 2009 Brownlow Medal when called in with only hours' notice after Bruce McAvaney was forced to withdraw.

Seven recently tried former Western Bulldogs ruckman Luke Darcy as a stand-in sports presenter when Roberts and weekend news reader Tim Watson were on leave.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Sandy Roberts quits Channel 7 to sign on with Fox Footy  Empty Re: Sandy Roberts quits Channel 7 to sign on with Fox Footy

Post by Lee Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:28 pm

It seems as if Sandy has been at 7 forever.

Started in Adelaide, didn't he?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Sandy Roberts quits Channel 7 to sign on with Fox Footy  Empty Re: Sandy Roberts quits Channel 7 to sign on with Fox Footy

Post by PhilH Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 pm

The BIG Replay
PhilH
PhilH

Teams : Eagles, Adelaide Bite, Green Bay Packers, Milwaukee Brewers
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:17 pm

redandblack wrote:It seems as if Sandy has been at 7 forever.

Started in Adelaide, didn't he?

I think he did. I see him on numerous SANFL videos in the late 70s, early 80s.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by FOOTYfollower Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:46 pm

I recall also seeing him commentate at Memorial Drive for SA Open tennis in late 70's/early 80's.

FOOTYfollower
FOOTYfollower

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Yep, Sandy started in Adelaide, i reckon he came up from the South East & that's why he hosted the Mt Gambier cup on 7....... but who remembers the Mt Gambier Cup slip up he called Miss Australia Leanne Dick as Leanne Cock ?

i reckon ''Its Academic'' was one of his first tv shows, he took over from Alec Macaskill iirc
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:06 pm

Yes I thought he heralded from Lucindale.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:24 pm

I always liked his calling of the different sports that he presented, unfortunately we haven't got Fox so we won't hear him anymore.
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Most Adelaide and Port Adelaide games are covered by Fox so he'll be heard on 7.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:01 pm

sapaul wrote:Most Adelaide and Port Adelaide games are covered by Fox so he'll be heard on 7.

love the irony of that Laughing Laughing
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Noticed Sandy Roberts commentating for the 'AFL Radio' feed on the AFL app this afternoon.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Love this

Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:50 pm

That is really worth a watch, great ad.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum