bayman
testy
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Gingernuts
Booney
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

September 14 it is - the next Federal Election Empty September 14 it is - the next Federal Election

Post by Booney Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/australians-fearful-of-the-future-gillard/story-fncz7kyc-1226565011494

With enough time for the gestation a human baby between now and then, this will be one painful election campaign.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

September 14 it is - the next Federal Election Empty Re: September 14 it is - the next Federal Election

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:08 pm

I wonder why? To catch the Liberals before they have a chance to punt Abbott maybe?

So we've got 8 months of Gillard & Abbott bollocks to look forward too, not to mention those awful election adverts.

God help us all. September 14 it is - the next Federal Election 294855916

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

September 14 it is - the next Federal Election Empty Re: September 14 it is - the next Federal Election

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:18 pm

Indeed to both of those posts.

Abbott has plenty of time to gather his army of death-eaters together and Julia has plenty of time to do who knows what to start sounding credible.

Yes it will be an agony.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 pm

I think the mute button on our tv wil be used non stop for the next 8 months. Sleep
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:46 pm

just take the $1.35 for the coalition to win & at least make a profit out of it Wink
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:58 pm

I've told you before, bayman, "odds on, look on".

Besides, more money to be made betting on individual seat results at better odds Smile
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm

it is a gift redandblack an absolute gift Wink

ps, i like our Labor bloke here, he is a nice person, even though he barracks for West Razz but he wont get my vote this time
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Gingernuts wrote:I wonder why? To catch the Liberals before they have a chance to punt Abbott maybe?

So we've got 8 months of Gillard & Abbott bollocks to look forward too, not to mention those awful election adverts.

God help us all. September 14 it is - the next Federal Election 294855916

I think we're spared the ads until August when the writs are formally handed to the Governor-General.

One thing to take out of this announcement though - Julia musn't have much faith in the Western Bulldogs holding an election on semi-final weekend.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 pm

Cant wait for it.

As Bob Dylan sang "The times are a changing...."

(Hello R&B !!!!!!!! Wink )
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 pm

Hello Southee Very Happy

Do I see some chickens being counted a bit early Wink

Why do you want to vote against your own best interests, though?

Just like old times though, mate Very Happy
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Yeah we are back! Reunited! Very Happy

Maybe we will try and keep it civil on here.

I think the chickens have already been counted Wink
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Yes, probably you're right, it looks that way, but politics is very changeable.

I'm sure we'll be civil, never a problem with you or especially this site.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:35 pm

[quote="Brucetiki"]
Gingernuts wrote:One thing to take out of this announcement though - Julia musn't have much faith in the Western Bulldogs holding an election on semi-final weekend.

She may think they'll be straight into Prelim Final weekend. Ok, maybe not. Razz
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I honestly think the political environment is ripe for a 3rd moderate party to enter the scene.

There are a lot of people like me who dislike both of the major parties, but also can't reconcile themselves with Greens policy as the only legitimate 3rd option at the moment.

I value my democratic right to vote, but at the same time I feel that currently I have no one to vote for.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:37 am

Interesting point, GN. Do you think both parties have moved away from their original philosophies to a fair extent? I think it's reasonable to say that both parties have moved to the right. While Labor seems to be moving back to their base in terms of income distribution, Disability Insurance, health and education, their policies on several other things, such as refugee policy, single parents, etc have certainly gone the other way.

The Liberal Party also seem to have moved well to the right of Bob Menzies original idea of liberalism and have several very right wing people calling the shots.

The Greens have appealled to many as that third option, but with the withdrawal of Bob Brown and their penchant for a result that gives them nothing, rather than accepting 90% of what they believe, has frustrated a lot of people.

If you're looking for a moderate party, I can't see a new one emerging soon. Most of the new parties that spring up are even more extreme, such as One Nation, or The Katter Party. Your only hope seems to lie in the major parties moving more to the centre.

I'd class Malcolm Turnbull as a moderate, but he's sidelined by the power of the right in the Liberal Party.

I just hope that there is a good discussion on policy, rather than the pap that passes for mainstream media political commentary.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:07 am

You’ve hit the nail on the head with your last sentence R&B.

The main issue for me with politics in Australia is that both of the major parties (and perhaps you could even say the entire political system) have become largely disconnected from the common Australian.

They seem forever embroiled in leadership spills, muck raking, personal attacks, and petty point scoring while meaningful policy debate goes by the wayside.

When they do take their attention away from each other from long enough to address the people they are meant to represent, they just throw out a succession of catch phrases aimed at doing nothing more than pleasing the whims of the mob. It’s like they’re throwing bread to the peasants.

I know I’m drawing a long bow by suggesting the emergence of a new party, but I wish that someone in Australia’s political sphere had the guts to stand out from the crowd and champion real change to our political system.

Alas, it more likely we’ll just continue to be faced with choosing between what shade of beige we prefer running our country.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Bundy Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:11 am

I think this election is one of the hardest ones because it seems to be a personality election first then policies second.
Bundy
Bundy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

Agree with both of you.

Strangely enough, for all its faults, I think the salvation might start to lie with social media.

A lot of the political discussion in social media is the usual 'she's a witch', or 'he's an idiot', partisan rubbish, but there are a lot of good sites on both sides putting forward factual and interesting policy discussion.

In the recent US election, they had several 'fact-checking' sites, where what politicians said were checked against the facts.

Perhaps that's what is needed in Australia, to bypass the partisan nonsense on both sides.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 pm

Gingernuts wrote:You’ve hit the nail on the head with your last sentence R&B.

The main issue for me with politics in Australia is that both of the major parties (and perhaps you could even say the entire political system) have become largely disconnected from the common Australian.

They seem forever embroiled in leadership spills, muck raking, personal attacks, and petty point scoring while meaningful policy debate goes by the wayside.

When they do take their attention away from each other from long enough to address the people they are meant to represent, they just throw out a succession of catch phrases aimed at doing nothing more than pleasing the whims of the mob. It’s like they’re throwing bread to the peasants.

I know I’m drawing a long bow by suggesting the emergence of a new party, but I wish that someone in Australia’s political sphere had the guts to stand out from the crowd and champion real change to our political system.

Alas, it more likely we’ll just continue to be faced with choosing between what shade of beige we prefer running our country.

Can you wait another decade or so? I'm thinking of joining the ranks. Laughing Laughing Laughing Just not yet.

Anyway, my take on how to vote this election is ignore the personalities, vote on the policies.

Liberal Policy:
http://lpa.webcontent.s3.amazonaws.com/realsolutions/LPA%20Policy%20Booklet%20210x210_final%20LIB.pdf

Labor Policy:
http://www.alp.org.au/agenda/

I hope people don't vote for change for the sake of having change. I think it'll be close to another minority government.

It's a tough position - Gillard the preferred PM, but Labor slipping in the polls. If the Liberals could change their leader, I think they'd win comfortably. However, many of the states now have Liberals in power and seem to be unhappy with spending cuts, job losses, infrastructure cuts etc, so that may be a vote against them.

I agree with bundy, it'll be a very tough election indeed.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Emperor Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 pm

mr thompson gets arrested in sydney on 149 charges.......gotta love the timing
The Emperor
The Emperor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:56 pm

Yes, interesting that it was known to a journalist the day before, several media were obviously tipped off and it took 5 police to be there to arrest the dangerous fugitive.

Unusual procedure.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:27 pm

For information, lost in the distractions from Mr Abbott's speech today is that he will abolish the Schoolkids Bonus.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Lee Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:33 pm

redandblack wrote:Yes, interesting that it was known to a journalist the day before, several media were obviously tipped off and it took 5 police to be there to arrest the dangerous fugitive.

Unusual procedure.

Correction, there were seven police and he was strip-searched!!

Given the timing and the tip-off to the media, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the relationship between the Murdoch press and the police we saw revealed in the UK might be replicated here to some extent.

Hopefully it was just a coincidence, otherwise it's a scary thought.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:45 pm

redandblack wrote:
redandblack wrote:Yes, interesting that it was known to a journalist the day before, several media were obviously tipped off and it took 5 police to be there to arrest the dangerous fugitive.

Unusual procedure.

Correction, there were seven police and he was strip-searched!!

Given the timing and the tip-off to the media, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that the relationship between the Murdoch press and the police we saw revealed in the UK might be replicated here to some extent.

Hopefully it was just a coincidence, otherwise it's a scary thought.

Nothing wrong with the strip search it is protocol with any arrest.

You seem to keep defending Thompson R&B ?

Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next