Big Phil
C.K
17 posters

Go down

Season Preview - Glenelg Empty Season Preview - Glenelg

Post by C.K Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Courtesy of TigerBoss:

Glenelg Footy Club 2012 Season Preview

WELCOME ABOARD: Riley Milne (Hawthorn), Scott Spriggs (North Ballarat), Jason Davenport (Power / West), Alex Carey (GWS / Returning), Tom Lynch (Mini Draft – Crows), Kris Massie (Senior Coach), Joel Coombes (Vic / ex Norwood), Tom Holmes (West Gambier / Returning), Lachlan Button (Strathalbyn / returning), Ben Reid (GWS Giants), Riley McFarlane (South East Zone), Ky Chapple (Horsham), Kain Ford (North Ballarat), Ethan Gill (South East Zone), Tim O'Brien (South East Zone), Wayne Smith (Assistant Coach), Kym Hodgeman (Assistant Coach)

ON YOUR BIKE: Danny Meyer (Retired), Alex Grima (WAFL), Ben Kane (Sturt), Luke Panozzo (Sturt), Mark Ruwoldt (Angaston), Patrick Knott (Horsham), James Sellar (Melbourne), Lachlan Neale (Fremantle), Jordan Murdoch (Geelong), Lincoln McCarthy (Geelong), Todd Grima (Travel), Chris Kane (Eagles), Mark Mickan (Coached 1st half 2011), Trevor Cranston (Retiring), Chad Cornes (GWS), Darcy Arnfield (Clare), Richard O'Grady (Local), Paul Adlington (Returning Home), Daniel Scott-Collins (Local), Ken McGregor (Assistant Coach - Work)

Mark Mickan’s shock sacking during the 2011 season divided supporters. It was a tough induction for caretaker coach, Kris Massie to step into the role, with so many players out of form, reports of fractions in the playing group and the club well down on confidence. The Bays limped into the 2011 finals series and had a disappointing showing against southern arch-rival, South Adelaide in the Elimination Final. It was a disappointing finish to what was a very up-and-down season for the Tigers.

Following the Mickan sacking, early exit to the 2011 finals series and high turnover of players in the off-season, many supporters are now wondering whether that elusive 5th premiership is now even further away than ever before, after enjoying some sustained success in the mid-late 2000s which unfortunately did not amount to any premierships.

Kris Massie has now had his first crack at leading the side through a pre-season campaign. Reports out of the GFC in early February indicate a high number of players are bigger, stronger and fitter than ever before. I’m certain we hear that line every year, so many Bays fans will let their eyes do the talking when the real stuff starts again. Too often in recent years, the club’s talking in the lead-up to the upcoming season has not been backed up by on-field performances.

On the injury front, reports out of the GFC suggest Ty Allen, Kane Tenace and Jordan McMahon are progressing well in their rehabilitations and are developing good conditioning again. The list of players smashing previous best times in pre-season fitness exercises is dominated by many youngsters names not known to the wider football community, which is an exciting sign for the Tigers building for the future.

So how will Glenelg cover the losses of some key personnel? Todd Grima became Mr Versatility during the 2011 season, switching from his Ken Farmer Medallist form of 2010 to become a useful key defender in 2011. Such was the success of that move, that Toddy G was named the Snouts Louts Most Valuable Player. James Sellar, whilst AFL listed, was a key cog down back and pinch-hitting in ruck. Ben Kane was a multiple Best and Fairest award winner. Paul Adlington a reliable defender that always seemed to have time and space. Trevor Cranston was arguably in the top couple of ruckmen in the SANFL for the best part of the last 6-8 years. Can Lachie Button and Warwick McGinty step up in ruck? Will Daniel Kirk need to spend more time in the ruck? Can the Bays find new grunt to cover the losses of hard-nuts, Chris Kane and Mark Ruwoldt and skill and pace of Alex Grima? Can they find another clean and effective disposer of the football running out of the backlines, to support Jordan McMahon, which Luke Panozzo had been for a long time?

Two of the returning youngsters, Alex Carey from his stint at GWS, and Tom Holmes, who returns from West Gambier, are genuine football talents. Throw in a key signing in Jason Davenport, who was delisted by the Power and is now free from the shackles that is AFL. The Bays will be hoping Davenport still feels like he has a lot to prove to the footy world, and has a sensational impact at his new club. Joel Coombes is highly rated and can hopefully nurture that talent and ability and have a great influence on his new teammates.

Glenelg will be hoping the freshening up of its coaching group will bring about a renewed vigour and energy to the playing group. Kym Hodgeman returns to the Bay, after working solidly in the background with Mick Godden for a few years, in the lead-up to the Eagles 2011 Premiership triumph. Hopefully ‘Hodgey’ has some intelligence and ideas that can assist the Tigers.

So what of Glenelg’s chances for the ultimate prize in 2012? While Glenelg has boasted excellence in its Under 18s and Reserves systems in recent years, there is enough talent coming through to suggest Glenelg has a bright future. The League and Reserves sides have already seen a host of this talent in the past few seasons, so it will be interesting to see how the next crop of juniors come along, and how quickly they can get their bodies and fitness up to SANFL League requirements.

BREAKING IT DOWN: In 2012, there have to be doubts about Glenelg’s ability to stop teams kicking big scores, particularly as Sam Rudolph has lost Sellar, Adlington and Todd Grima as support. The GFC has big expectations on young Drew Clayfield to command a key defensive post and have brought in tall rebounding defender, Riley Milne from the Hawks. The reliance on Ruory Kirkby to lead the attack may prove very difficult in the absence of Todd Grima. The likes of Josh Trembath, Daniel Kirk and Tom Lynch (Crows-listed) will need to play key roles up forward to allow Kirkby the freedom to play the true Centre Half Forward type of role he has blossomed at since joining the SANFL. The midfield will miss Ben Kane’s “Slick” football talents, so Ty Allen, Kane Tenace, Byron Murphy and others will need to step up another level. The youngsters Bradley, Lyons (Crows), Agnew, Trembath, Shaw (Crows), Hender, Kennedy, the Snook brothers and many others will all need to take their games up another cog or two for the Bays to have any chance to finish in the final 5.

The Bays pre-season trial schedule will provide the Tigers with a good idea of where they’re at with fitness, skills, Massie’s game-plan and structures following the high turnover of players after the 2011 season. The Bays trial schedule is (with locations to be announced):

• Saturday 3rd March, Glenelg vs Eagles
• Saturday 17th March, Glenelg v Port Adelaide
• Saturday 24th March, Glenelg v Central District

BEST CASE: The Bays youngsters step up and help the senior players take the side into the top 5. The defence needs to tighten up, and the club needs to find more avenues to goal.

WORST CASE: The inexperienced and developing ruck stocks struggle, the youngsters continue to develop but are not able to make a solid contribution at the highest level, and injuries to key senior players expose the lack of depth that the club may have. The Bays need to be much tighter in defence and develop an ability to stop opposition sides score quick goals from stoppages or defensive clearances. It is not beyond comprehension that the Bays slip outside of the top 5 in 2012.

MY PREDICTION: I think the Bays may struggle in 2012 and may just sneak into the top 5, but I would not be at all surprised if they just miss out on playing finals footy. Night footy will hit Glenelg in a big way in 2012. Expect big crowds to flock to Brighton Road to watch the Bays play under lights.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Season Preview - Glenelg Empty Re: Season Preview - Glenelg

Post by Big Phil Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Nice preview Tiger Boss, an enjoyable read.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:29 pm

spot on in my view.......unfortunately
fatty
fatty

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:02 pm

I reckon the night footy at the Bay is going to be a HUGE success for The Bays.

I already have a few Bay mates talking about it now and "gearing" up for it.

Gives me a excuse to go out and have a few brews down Jetty Road after too!!! Very Happy
Southee
Southee

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:12 pm

i agree with that summation 100%

ps, thanks for the invite to join up
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Who is to say that playing under lights in front of some large crowds wont fire the Bays up as it did for the Bloods? Few people outside of Glenelg supporters would have Glenelg in their final five. Yet they may well be proven wrong yet.

My thoughts on Glenelg is that they have actually done the right thing in cutting several from the list and letting others go that don't want to play for the Glenelg jumper. Its obviously unacceptable for any side to bow out in straight sets in the finals for three seasons in a row, there had to be a reckoning over it and hard decisions have clearly been taken over it. Maybe they might struggle initially as the side bonds together, yet I get a sense that once the group does bag a win against one of the top three sides it will be the first of many.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowan Boats Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:11 pm

C.K wrote:Courtesy of TigerBoss:
The midfield will miss Ben Kane’s “Slick” football talents, so Ty Allen, Kane Tenace, Byron Murphy and others will need to step up another level.

He doesn't play at the bay anymore. Awkward....... Laughing
Rowan Boats
Rowan Boats

Back to top Go down

Post by CB10 Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Not being a Glenelg supporter Rowan Boats I haven't heard about Byron Murphy, has he transferred to another club or just quit?
CB10
CB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Mods Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 pm

CB10 wrote:Not being a Glenelg supporter Rowan Boats I haven't heard about Byron Murphy, has he transferred to another club or just quit?

Playing part time for his old club in Victoria.
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:45 pm

bayman wrote:i agree with that summation 100%

ps, thanks for the invite to join up

You're very welcome, bayman.

A poster with your experience and knowledge will be a big asset for the site.

We look forward to your posts.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GeorgieBoy Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:19 pm

A fair review for my beloved tigers a season which can go many ways.

Our blend of youth and older players will see a new style of fast movement, no reliance on a single gun forward, so goals will be spread throughout.

Our midfield will be our strenth with Ty, Blackjack, Tommy, Snooks x2,Ben and the big guys working strong and with speed.

Defence is settled with Drew, Chris and Aggies one season stronger and Benny, Sammy and Macca shoring things up.

This season will cetainly have high and low points but with youth comes a fresh new attitude something my mighty Tigers can do with.

GeorgieBoy

GeorgieBoy
GeorgieBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by CB10 Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:27 am

GeorgieBoy Good to hear from you mate but could you please next time use surnames .
Not familiar with a lot of Glenelg young players so have no idea who are Blackjack,Chris, Drew, Aggies,Benny,Sammy or Macca.
I see them a couple of times a year but do read about them on websites and in the paper but hardy know who is who from their first names!

Keep posting just a small point, no offence intended.
CB10
CB10

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 am

I guess the concern with glenelg is the number of players they have lost which is obvious. I think giving their young kids a chance is very good as they have been so successful with their ressies & juniors in the past few yrs.
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by MatteeG Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:29 pm

Nice review TB. Nice avatar CK.

I'm going into 2012 with lowered expectations, but am happy to be pleasantly surprised. Its exciting having a list of virtual unknowns and juniors striving to make a name for themselves.
MatteeG
MatteeG

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Could be a long and cold winter for the Bays who after having lost many players may drop right out of the five.
They do have a lot of very good youngsters but it will take time for them to adjust to the pace of league footy.
testy
testy

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by 85 Was A good Year Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:52 pm

GeorgieBoy wrote:Our midfield will be our strenth with Ty, Blackjack, Tommy, Snooks x2,Ben and the big guys working strong and with speed.

Defence is settled with Drew, Chris and Aggies one season stronger and Benny, Sammy and Macca shoring things up.

For the non-Glenelg folk out there:

MIDFIELD: Blackjack = Kane Tenace, Tommy = Tom Holmes, Snooks X 2 = Matthew & Shannon Snook, Ben = Ben Reid.

DEFENCE: Drew = Drew Clayfield, Chris = Chris Curran, Aggies = Brad Agnew, Benny = Ben Mules, Sammy = Sam Rudolph, & Macca = ? not a name usually associated with Jordan McMahon but that's who I'm guessing he means. Usually he's referred to as Jords, so I could be wrong
85 Was A good Year
85 Was A good Year

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:12 pm

As many anticipated, Ty Allen has been appointed as new Captain of Glenelg...

From the SANFL site - http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/1647/
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by alan of brisbane Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Macca - GeorgieBoy might also be referring to Ben McIntyre (new recruit), Riley MacFarlane (new recruit) or Jackson McMahon. Could also be referring to Warrick McGinty (although he is usually called Wazza).
alan of brisbane
alan of brisbane

Back to top Go down

Post by alan of brisbane Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 pm

P.S. We also lost several other junior players, e.g. Michael Bennett and Wade Hancock.
alan of brisbane
alan of brisbane

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks, alan, welcome to the forum. Smile
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content