Season Preview - Sturt

2 posters

Go down

Season Preview - Sturt Empty Season Preview - Sturt

Post by Lee Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Thanks to passionate Double Blues supporter "Country Cousin"

Seeing things are a bit quiet on the football front right now, I thought I might take up redandblack's invitation to write a season preview for my beloved Blues.

As all who are close to the club know, finishing last didn't go down well and, not surprisingly, the club administration undertook a very thorough review of all aspects of our football operations.

The most obvious fallout has been the replacement of the senior coach and the appointment of additional support staff, with particular emphasis on players' fitness and skill levels.

Recruiting has been selective and focused on adding some extra height (Jenkins - ruck and Cahill - key position) Plus experience (Kane and Panozzo with around 250 SANFL league games between them)

Our main focus however, will be on the advancement of players from our junior development program, which has been a strong area in recent years. Around a dozen young players had their first taste of league footy in 2011 and we expect a number of these lads to become long term players for our club. The likes of Fraser Evans, Ben Hansen, Angus Twopeny, Jordan Mutton, Jack Stephens, along with Brodie Grundy, who will go to the AFL in 2013, are all capable of becoming regular league players this year. We'll also welcome back Paul Cahill from the AFL , together with Cameron Stokes and Paddy Fittock from long term injuries.

I make no rash predictions at this early stage, but we'll be looking to forge a stronger side (Both physically and mentally) with an emphasis on more skillful and effective use of the football. An area where we fell down very badly last year. Personally I'm looking forward to 2012, which promises to be one of the most even and closely contested seasons in recent times. I expect Sturt to be far more competitive and well in the mix come September. No miracles, but it would be a mistake for anyone to underestimate us.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Season Preview - Sturt Empty Re: Season Preview - Sturt

Post by Lee Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:39 am

Really good write-up, cc.

Hoiw do you see the defensive area in terms of height?

I also think Sturt would have been surprised that Kerridge was still there at 10 in the mini-draft.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:10 pm

redandblack wrote:Really good write-up, cc.

Hoiw do you see the defensive area in terms of height?

I also think Sturt would have been surprised that Kerridge was still there at 10 in the mini-draft.
Lack of height in defense was certainly an issue in 2011 and we've been chasing talls (Doesn't everyone Wink ) As a result there are a dozen or so over 190cm who are pushing for spots on the senior list this year. Several are mainly ruckmen or forwards, but of those likely to be tried in defensive key positions in the trials, perhaps Wundke, Fraser Evans, Nielsen and Mutton would be the front runners at this stage.
As for Kerridge, you're right, we couldn't believe our luck when he was still there for our second pick. He's very likely to play some games for the Crows, but whenever he's available for us he'll be a bonus.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum