countrycousin
Ben W
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Big Phil
11 posters

Go down

Save Our Sturt Empty Save Our Sturt

Post by Big Phil Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:34 pm

Still concerning financial worries at the Double Blues...

I think this kind of campaign is a good thing...

From Localfootysa...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/sturts-plan-to-demolish-debt/story-e6freckc-1226494499226
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Save Our Sturt Empty Re: Save Our Sturt

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:50 pm

This is nothing new.

THe debt demolition campaign has been going on for most of the season since May, albeit fairly quietly. Certainly hasn't been a secret. Not really sure why it comes to light in the media right now.

Bednall's article is fairly balanced however. Something that the local paper has lacked in my view. Note, they haven't commented on this subject as such. But their commentary on the financial / council negotiation subject has been slanted toward the contraversial in my opinion.

As the article says, the next step post Christmas will look toward the average supporter for help.

It would be very nice if the Blues could garner the level of support the Magpies had a couple of seasons ago and go from 3000 members to double that.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Think what is needed here is for a personality to step forward and spear head the campaign. Its my thoughts that the club should go and head hunt someone that would be appropriate and ask for their assistance.

These campaigns are great and one just like it saved the South Adelaide FC when we nearly went under in the 1980s. I was too young to remember the names, but the SAFC brought over two identities from the VFL who had saved one of the clubs over there from going under and got it financial again and they came over here and did the very same for South.

The issue is that Enthusiasm Leaks - and it needs to be driven along by appropriate people. I think a good challenge for those behind the campaign is to try and find someone that will be in it for the long haul that can be that PR person to move it along and help achieve that result, I don't think Matt Benson can do it on his own nor should be expected to either.

And yes if they call another rally at Unley Oval then lets see all the Talking Footy Crew there in droves irrespective of which clubs we support and lets also try and drive what they organize along accordingly.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:15 pm

I think the reason the public announcement has been brought forward is, at least partly, due to the misinformation we've seen in the media over the past week. I assume that most of the initial approaches to potential major donors have been made and the club is now preparing for the next phase, of bringing smaller contributors on board.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:51 pm

Ben W wrote:Think what is needed here is for a personality to step forward and spear head the campaign. Its my thoughts that the club should go and head hunt someone that would be appropriate and ask for their assistance.

These campaigns are great and one just like it saved the South Adelaide FC when we nearly went under in the 1980s. I was too young to remember the names, but the SAFC brought over two identities from the VFL who had saved one of the clubs over there from going under and got it financial again and they came over here and did the very same for South.

The issue is that Enthusiasm Leaks - and it needs to be driven along by appropriate people. I think a good challenge for those behind the campaign is to try and find someone that will be in it for the long haul that can be that PR person to move it along and help achieve that result, I don't think Matt Benson can do it on his own nor should be expected to either.

And yes if they call another rally at Unley Oval then lets see all the Talking Footy Crew there in droves irrespective of which clubs we support and lets also try and drive what they organize along accordingly.

Would Glenn Ridge be a good person to approach for this. He's a Sturt supporter and I'm sure he would be happy to get involved with something like this.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:54 pm

Good post BenW.

I think you are right in that an enthusiastic figurehead would focus the attention of the campaign.

Whilst Port Magpies did it differently, they did have a few figureheads like Ginever and Fiacchi spruking the cause. They also kept the debate alive in the media one way or another which also focussed people's attention.

I am not sure what quality in a figurehead would work best.
IE Media guru / Charismatic ex player / Entertainer etc.

However, if a charismatic ex player is needed, I cannot go past the great Jumbo Prince - Rick Davies.

He works a crowd large or small like nobody I have ever seen.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Yes it is a good suggestion Ben W and I've already drawn it to the attention of the chairman of the vice presidents group, who is also a board member. I'm sure it will be taken seriously.
countrycousin
countrycousin

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:20 pm

last time i donated to a rival club (in the 1980's) when they were on their knees they backstabbed the whole competition, instead of a donation this time around i'll consider buying a basic membership if it helps the situation............would anyone else consider buying a Sturt membership ?

bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:29 pm

I would, it might force me to buy a West membership again! Can't be a member of a rival club if you don't sign up for your own! Wink
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:00 pm

bayman wrote:last time i donated to a rival club (in the 1980's) when they were on their knees they backstabbed the whole competition, instead of a donation this time around i'll consider buying a basic membership if it helps the situation............would anyone else consider buying a Sturt membership ?

That would be the thing to do for sanfl supporters inclined to help.
Now more than ever before, we 9 clubs need each other to be united in solidarity.
Although I am not quite sure where the jury is with Port under its current structure, whose ongoing allegiance to the sanfl seems under constant scrutiny.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm

I always thought Glen Ridge was a South supporter ?

Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:34 pm

I remember in the old 'Show Your True Colours' ads where they got celebrities to show their support for their SANFL side that he used to say 'Go Sturt'. Maybe he changed from South to Sturt, who knows.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Southee wrote:I always thought Glen Ridge was a South supporter ?

is this the guy from Sale of the Century ? if so yes he is definately a Sturt man
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Southee Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 pm

bayman wrote:
Southee wrote:I always thought Glen Ridge was a South supporter ?

is this the guy from Sale of the Century ? if so yes he is definately a Sturt man

Thanks for that Bayman. I had no idea.

We will just keep Ernie Sigley !! Wink
Southee
Southee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/sturt-football-club-tackles-22-million-debt/story-e6frea83-1226521028232

Seems the Debt demolition campaign is having a positve effect.
$400K is a great start.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 pm

Another small piece of the jigsaw fell into place last night with the Unley Council voting to allow Sturt to reduce its lease footprint on the building at Oxford Tce.

This will save money and allow other community groups to use portion of the premises also.

Hopefully it also brings the Council into the maintenance equation.

Not a massive saving, but every bit helps at this point.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by eartotheground Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Sturt's situation certainly improving, a couple of announcements soon will ease the pressure on the club.
eartotheground
eartotheground

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Good to hear.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Big Phil Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Good to hear they are heading in the right direction...
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum