How will teams counter Norwood?

5 posters

Go down

How will teams counter Norwood? Empty How will teams counter Norwood?

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm

I suspect that the coaches of all the other clubs will spend some considerable time over the next few months working out how to counter Norwood's game plan. All clubs found it extremely difficult to score against them, whatever their perceived game style.
They deny their opponents time and space, get numbers back and set players up at stoppages in very specific structures. They are also then skilful enough to pinpoint teammates when they rebound from defence.

Under the current rules it looks like an almost perfect set up to me. So what are the ways around it? One thought is to go man on man so you nullify the advantage of their structures, and hope enough of your players beat enough of theirs, but that's conceding to their game plan from the start. Anyone got any ideas?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

How will teams counter Norwood? Empty Re: How will teams counter Norwood?

Post by robranisgod Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:I suspect that the coaches of all the other clubs will spend some considerable time over the next few months working out how to counter Norwood's game plan. All clubs found it extremely difficult to score against them, whatever their perceived game style.
They deny their opponents time and space, get numbers back and set players up at stoppages in very specific structures. They are also then skilful enough to pinpoint teammates when they rebound from defence.

Under the current rules it looks like an almost perfect set up to me. So what are the ways around it? One thought is to go man on man so you nullify the advantage of their structures, and hope enough of your players beat enough of theirs, but that's conceding to their game plan from the start. Anyone got any ideas?

North beat them by the narrowest margin by playing long and direct football. Sure North had luck but with a much lesser squad albeit with key forwards who could mark North showed what I thought was a chink in Norwood's armour. Norwood did seem to play the Collingwood circa 2010 style that day of dominating the stoppages but then playing wide around the flanks. I may be wrong but that was the impression I got from that day back in June.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:10 pm

Personally I think too much is made of our game plan. Like any game plan there is always a way to beat it. If you were to ask me why I think we had a good year these would be my reasons

1) Depth of Midfielders - While we have always had a couple of good midfielders I thought we went much deeper this year. Guys like Zorzi, Batsanis, Cachia, Suckling, Gallagher, Webber and others meant that perhaps we were not so reliant on two or three. I also think it was a good mix. I'm not saying we had the best midfield players but I think we had the best group.

2) Our ability to win the ball - While a lot of talk has been about how good our defence has been to me the midfield played a huge role in this. A lot of this is the game plan, but I had big concerns about some of our defenders under pressure and I think many involved did as well. However the thinking was if you win the ball in the midfield then it's not an issue.

3) Mental toughness - Compared to other Norwood sides in recent years this was a very mentally tough side. I thought we had a number of very good comebacks but also managed to put sides away. I think having guys like Batsanis who have come from successful sides helps a bit as he had experience of being a 'front runner' if you get what I mean. I think some Norwood sides of the past have been scared away from the favourites tag. Also with the injuries we had it would have been easy to come up with excuses but the playing group didn't and kept focussed on getting the job done regardless of who would not longer be available.

4) Not everyone will agree but in my opinion we are very well coached. His preparation and the way he handled players for the last four rounds of the year when we were playing for nothing and the weeks off during the finals was outstanding. I don't think our lack of games or lack of important games towards the end of the year effected us at all.

5) I'm happy to admit I think it was a softer year competition wise. What I will say is that over history we have had very good sides but perhaps come up against outstanding competition and perhaps peaked at the wrong time if you get what I mean. You have to take the good with the bad.

6) The recruiting skills of Mark Ross has been second to none. He has got quality players in with good characters often without the big dollars. I am not just talking about interstate recruits but also locals ones like Clarke, Bode and Warren. We have lost a few along the way and will lose some more to other SANFL clubs over summer but I don't think any of them will or have come back to hurt us. I am sure a role at a higher level will come along for Mark at some stage and he will be very hard to replace.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:20 pm

The first area where people needed to change their thinking as the season progressed is Norwood's game style is only suited to the smaller confines of Norwood Oval. Didn't matter how many games we won away from Norwood, I continued to hear this said ... right up to the Grand Final.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:The first area where people needed to change their thinking as the season progressed is Norwood's game style is only suited to the smaller confines of Norwood Oval. Didn't matter how many games we won away from Norwood, I continued to hear this said ... right up to the Grand Final.

ok ok, i said this, not to belittle it but because i believed that if this game plan had a chink it could be a bigger ground, ok i was wrong......i do think as posted going one on one may help but going one on one in any game when your losing helps to some degree
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by ca Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:35 pm

bayman wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:The first area where people needed to change their thinking as the season progressed is Norwood's game style is only suited to the smaller confines of Norwood Oval. Didn't matter how many games we won away from Norwood, I continued to hear this said ... right up to the Grand Final.

ok ok, i said this, not to belittle it but because i believed that if this game plan had a chink it could be a bigger ground, ok i was wrong......i do think as posted going one on one may help but going one on one in any game when your losing helps to some degree

Going one on one and quick ball movement is the key. A number of sides tried the quick ball movement but if you don't have the skills then it can hurt you on the rebound which is where some clubs got unstuck. Like I said above I don't believe the game plan was as big a issue as it was made out.
ca
ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down