Gingernuts
The Emperor
Lee
robranisgod
Scrappy
21 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Great Cricket Stories Yarns and Quotes - Page 20 Empty Re: Great Cricket Stories Yarns and Quotes

Post by Scrappy Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:31 pm

JONATHAN 'Jonty' RHODES

South Africa was re-instated back to International cricket in 1991
Had they not, how would Jontys sporting career have progressed ?
Jonty Rhodes was an inside /outside striker in field hockey
In 1991 Jonty made the 24 man South African squad for the Barcelona Olympic Games

Jonty Rhodes Quote
" If I had to choose a sport it would be cricket,
Theres more money in it, which is a sad thing to say."

Jonty Rhodes
35-66 Test average
35-11 ODI average
41.14 First class average

Jonty must be considered an allrounder of sorts
Batting/Fielding allrounder
In the course of any game he saved a lot of runs for his team , by being brilliant not bland, in the field
His batting averages of 35 in both forms of cricket was prob worth closer to 40 because of his exceptional fielding
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Great Cricket Stories Yarns and Quotes - Page 20 Empty Re: Great Cricket Stories Yarns and Quotes

Post by Scrappy Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:16 pm

ODI SOUTH AFRICA V AUSTRALIA
SPRINGBOK PARK

AU 6/203...BOON 42...MATTHEWS 3/40

SA needed a 4 to win 3 to tie with 1 ball remaining
Dave Richardson on strike, Dale Fleming the bowler
Dave Richardson was running for a third and was run out by Mark Taylor
Australia won by 1 run

In Flemings 2nd last over he had problems with a faulty run up
Keeper Ian Healy told Fleming to relax
After the game this is what Healy had this to say about Fleming
" He was pushing hard in his run up
My first thoughts were that it was nerves or pressure and that he was trying to bowl fast
I didnt realise he had the wrong run up until I got back to the room"

And the reason why :
Fleming was commencing his bowling run up from the bowling mark of Glen Mcgrath !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 pm

I have no idea if this is true or not but as a kid I was told a player (can’t remember who) left a test match safely confident that they’d be batting all day, however there was a collapse & when they were giving out scores & he heard 7 down he went in a panic looking for a taxi, this player was at the Victoria Park races, if true I wonder whether he got back in time......does anyone know if it’s true & if so who was it ??
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 am

AlaSTAiR Cook, in making 147 , in his final Test innings , became the 5th player to achieve a rare double
Along with Reggie Duff, Bill Ponsford , Greg Chappell and Mohammad Azharuddin , they are the 5 Test cricketers to make a 100+ runs in their first and last test innings

I saw Greg Chappells tons against England and Pakistan
I still consider Greg Chappell to be the best Australian batsman I have seen
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:41 am

Top 10s are always popular
I found the 10 quickest to get to take 200 test wickets intriguing
I guessed a few, one that I didnt was very very surprising

QUICKEST TO TAKE 200 TEST WICKETS
IN MATCHES PLAYED

33 Y SHAH
35 C GRIMMETT
37 R ASHWIN
38 W YOUNIS
39 D LILLIE
39 D STEYN
41 I BOTHAM
41 S MACGILL
42 M MURALI
42 A DONALD

I was surprised to see Stuart Macgill is the 8th quickest
Ian Botham is astonishing,as he is an allrounder

The types of bowlers are as follows :
4 Fast bowlers
3 Leg spinners
2 Off spinners
1 Medium fast

Interesting to note, that no Left handed bowlers made the top 10 to 200 wickets
I wonder how quick these lefties ,  Indias spinning guru Bishen Bedi or Pakistans swing king Wasim Akram were to 200 wickets

I have a question
Which left hand bowler got to 200 wickets the quickest ?
Will it be a Mitch, Johnson [313 wickets] or STARc [currently 198] ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:54 pm

John  Causby
Born 27/10/1942
Died 8/6/2019

A truly great individual
One of the nicest blokes Ive known
Played for SA mostly as an opening batsman, made 3607  runs, that included 3 tons
Was a stalwart with the Woodville District cricket team , and a premiership player in the 1977/1978 season , a match that I saw a fair bit bit off
Made 5997 runs for Woodville , was a club secretary, and a life member of the Woodville club

His other love was the punt , this is where we crossed paths on numerous occasions

R.I.P John Causby, for me gone, but never ever forgotten
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:29 am

" Thommo was the most supple bloke Ive ever seen, and he said he can tickle his ear with his big toe in his 20s."

By
Robert Craddock
Interviewing Jeffrey Thomson

This was brought up on a recent cricket legends TV show
On the show Jeff Thomson , showed he can still do it
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:44 am

4th test
South Africa v England
Johannesburg

DOMENIC SIBLEY
The English batsman has scored a rare double
44 in both innings
In both innings he hit 7 fours

First Test
Australia v West Indies
Brisbane

SIR FRANK WORRELL
The West Indian batsman has scored a rare double
65 in both innings
In both innings he hit 8 fours

Domenic  Sibley was dismissed in both innings by Beuran Hendricks
Sir Frank Worrell was dismissed in both innings by Alan Davidson
Beuran Hendricks and Alan Davidson are both left hand fast bowlers

Both Domenic Sibley and Sir Frank Worrall were both out caught behind in their first innings

Sir Frank Worralls performance is even more remarkable
He was dismissed in the same dismissal in both innings for the same score
Caught Grout B Davidson 65
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:01 am

Interesting, Scrappy!

I rate all three players from the WI v Australia game higher by a long, long way than the SA v England game. 3 champions v 3 (so far) average players. (Batsman, bowler, 'keeper).
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:38 pm

AU V NZ
3RD TEST
MELBOURNE 1987
Result, Draw

NZ 317... M CROWE 82........MCDERMOTT 5/97
AU 357....SLEEP .....90........HADLEE 5/109
NZ 286....M CROWE 79........DODEMAIDE 6/58
AU 9/230..BOON.....54........HADLEE 5/67

In the 2nd last over of this match NZ fast bowler Danny Morrison hits the pad of Craig Billy The Kid Mcdermott , the ultra confident LBW appeal was declined
Craig might have been fortunate, however he may also had been unfortunate to be caught behind in the 1993 Adelaide Oval test match AU V WI
WI won by one run , Craig was given out caught behind to a ball that '''appeared''' to have hit his helmet

Mike Whitney survived the last 6 balls of the match bowled by the greatest NZ bowler Ive seen, Sir Richard Hadlee

This is the recollections by Richard Hadlee

" He survived those 6 balls and at the end of the over I went up to him  and shook him by the  hand and patted him on the helmet and put my arm around him.
You know the battles over , you know there's mutual respect I tried and he survived but the main story of the main event is when a bowler gets 5 wickets you get the keep the ball as a souvenir
The last ball went through to wicket keeper Ian Smith and I was expecting Smithy to come up to me and give me the ball and of course Whit and I  were together and I said have you got my ball Smithy
He said Im giving it to Mike Whitney
I said what do you mean its my ball I just got 5 wickets
He said no no no Whits done a great thing for Australia today, he survived that over he's saved the game and I think he should have the ball as a souvenir as a momento that he could remember the occasion and he could tell all his friends and family in years to come that this is what he did , and Whit chimed in and said I will tell them all tonight what Ive done and Ive got the ball to prove it , so he got the ball...'

"The sequence to the whole story is that 28 years later i was speaking at a function i think it was Sydney or it could have been Melbourne and I just finished doing what I was doing and all of a sudden Whit appears on stage with the cricket ball and he presented it to me and he says Richard you deserve this cricket ball , I want you to have it and I thought that was an incredible piece of friendship comradery respect giving it back to the rightful owner for one thing ! "
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:50 pm

" Most of the issues that we had before world series cricket were still alive and well after world series cricket but deep in my heart if they had a chance to win , I dont think I would have asked Trevor to bowl underarm."

By
Greg Chappell
About the controversial underarm delivery against NZ in 1981

Greg Chappell says "if they had a chance to win"
That statement is correct
The end scores were
AU 4/235
NZ 8/239

So in fact if Brian McKechnie hit a six on the only ball he faced this game would have ended in a tie

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:17 am

"Most of the issues that we had before world series cricket were still alive and well after world series cricket"

I would agree strongly with this statement.
WSC didn't solve the underlying issues that cricketers faced in rheir dealings with cricket officialdom.

The ACB only relented when faced with financial ruin not having the best players on display in their competition. Whilst the player rewards were improved, I think you could say that it didn't necessarily improve the second tier players' (IE Sheffield Shield etc and below) conditions.

The prevailing attitude by the board, that this is OUR competition to be run OUR way and the players should be privileged to play is something that goes back to Bradman's tenure as an administrator and probably still prevails today to some degree.

Salaries have improved across the board, but the player strike dispute of about 5 years ago, shows the similar attitudes still around.

Getting back to Chappell, I can only infer that linking the underarm incident to the playing conditions of the time, shows just how much influence the board had and the pressure put on the players.

I wonder if the Kim Hughes issues when Captain were of the same making?

Still, it was an unjustifiable thing to do by Chappell.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Well well well
Did this influence Greg Chappell to order the underarm ?
This happened the year before , 1980

https://youtu.be/zl5xnTqOQqQ
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20