Season Preview - North Adelaide - is it their time?

+7
countrycousin
Big Phil
Bobbafet
CB10
Ben W
Mongrel Punter
Lee
11 posters

Go down

Season Preview - North Adelaide - is it their time? Empty Season Preview - North Adelaide - is it their time?

Post by Lee Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 am

Contributed by passionate Rooster's supporter, Mongrel Punter thanks MP

New names on the locker: Luke Davey (West Gambier Premiership captain), Daniel Currie (Sydney Swans), Kerren Hall (Port Magpies), Michael Clinch (Port Magpies), Stuart Hill (Woodville-West Torrens), Craig Jamar (Goodwood Saints), Josh Coulter (returned), Nick White (Central), Justin Schahinger (Hamley Bridge) - [AFL – Lewis Johnston (Sydney Swans/Crows), Nathan Blee (East Perth/Power), Danny Butcher (Gippsland Power/Power)]

Cleaned out: Nick Gill (Cairns – employment), Cain Ackland (retired), Todd Pfeiffer (South Adelaide), Simon Potts (cricket), David Hill (returned to Queensland), Lochie Roach (amateurs), Callum Hay (Central), Andrew McIntyre (employment), Henry Mason (employment), Sam Haniford (employment), Henry White (European study) - [AFL – Tony Armstrong (Sydney Swans), Daniel Motlop (Playing coach Meningie)]

After a 2011 season filled with hope and promise, following 2 seasons of an unpopular style of football (the view of members and apparently the board), 2012 augurs well for the new look Rooster outfit. Having been treated kindly by the AFL drafts has also been a positive. One might also say that the gains outweigh the losses.

Although results belied their potential, they had the 4th best percentage in the league and lost 6 games by less than 2 straight kicks. They also won games against both grand finalists. Using the “if only” scenario, winning those close games would have put them equal third. This is something on which they can base their plans for 2012!

With personnel lacking in key defensive areas, they have recruited to fit that area with Hill and Hall earmarked for key positions. This would allow Clint Alleway to head back to the forward line as the key forward now that Nick Gill is headed to far north Queensland. If Johnny Boras steps up another notch, he could be the X-factor.

With new 201cm ruckman Currie (NEAFL Medallist 2011, who missed the last third of the season with a foot injury) shouldering the rucking responsibilities, James Allan (new captain), George Thring, Cohen Thiele, Davey, Leigh Ryswyk, Brett Backwell, Michael Handby, James Bennett, Tim Delvins, Clinch and other rotating midfielders should let the forwards see plenty of the ball. Brian Fenton and Jonathan Platten (hard inside players), who spent 2011 on the injured list, are virtually new recruits.

With second year coach, Josh Francou, adopting a far more attacking and accountable style, along with hard, grunting, midfielders and a more fierce approach to tackling, opposition players will not get easy kicks. With a new CEO, Greg Edwards, the club is also continuing its off-field strength.

With a new defensive structure, and support from Todd Miles (who can play almost anywhere), Greg Gallman, Jake Keller, Kriston Thompson, Alek Kangur, and Luke Ivens, rebound from the back 50 looks better.

The Roosters are also placing great trust and confidence in their youth from a strong 2011 Under 18 team, with players like Jake Liston, Josh Gregg, Michael Virgin, Matthew Schmidt, and Zac Makins hoping to make a mark, and hope there is continued development of those who played some league – Nick Amato and Sam Mayes.

AFL players such as Johnston, Stewart, Wright, Craig, Young, Moore, Butcher and Blee are unknown quantities regarding playing time, but when and if they appear, should add some quality and class.

Whilst a top 3 spot is not beyond them, not making the final 5 would be a bitter disappointment to the Roosters.

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Season Preview - North Adelaide - is it their time? Empty Re: Season Preview - North Adelaide - is it their time?

Post by Lee Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Terrific write-up, MP.

Presumably North picked Blee in the mini-draft to help with height in the backline and free up Alleway?
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Season Preview - North Adelaide - is it their time? Empty Re: Season Preview - North Adelaide - is it their time?

Post by Mongrel Punter Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks R&B - I believe you are correct with your presumptions - but there are 2 issues there as well - will Blee play enough SANFL and will Alleway overcome his pre-season surgery in time?
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Its hard to see North not making the Five this season. As you point out their losing margin was likely the lowest in the league, Currie will likely be a handy player in the SANFL, yet I am not so confident that their ins outweigh the outs, as good as sides like Hamley Bridge and West Gambier might be, it is a huge step up to the SANFL and several of these lads will need to prove themselves on the field early in the season if they are to lift the side.

Think aiming for that fifth spot to make the finals is not an unreasonable ask for North. No reason that they wont go further into the finals than just fifth either if the side clicks this season.

Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Mongrel Punter Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:42 pm

I can't argue with your comments there either R&B. Schahinger is a big solid unit and won the HB B&F in 2009, and finding him a place might be hard. I think the WG captain and B&F winner, also in 2009 I think, might be a more regular league player as he has the qualities Francou is looking for. Keep an eye out for Jake Liston!
Mongrel Punter
Mongrel Punter

My club : north

Back to top Go down

Post by CB10 Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:47 pm

Mongrel Punter that was a seriously good write up.
Laying my cards on the table I am a Westies man but really feel as though North will be the big improvers. Your write up just about said it all Daniel Currie right now is the recruit of the year in my opinion see if I eat my words later.
CB10
CB10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:28 am

The captaincy to Allan probably means this is his last year with the chooks
Alleway didn't stand out too many games last year. Maybe without the burden of the captaincy he can focus on his own game, injuries permitting
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:46 am

Roosters now without a major sponsor for season 2012...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/gerard-pulls-north-sponsorship/story-e6freckc-1226280900537
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Big Phil wrote:Roosters now without a major sponsor for season 2012...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/gerard-pulls-north-sponsorship/story-e6freckc-1226280900537
I wonder if this may prove to be a blessing in disguise for the North Adelaide F.C? No question about the value of his enormous financial input to the club over the years. That won't be easy to replace, particularly in difficult times like we are in at present. But I think all clubs at some time have experienced the downside of having a single powerful individual exercising a major influence on their operations. Dominant individuals tend to want things their own way and can be resistant to change as they age. Change and renewal are sometimes necessary. Only North Adelaide supporters can really answer this of course, but perhaps the time is right for it at Prospect?
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:33 pm

No matter what the reasons for there major sponsor pulling the plug, to do so 1 month out from the start of the season must be a worry for them.
Mentioned in today's paper that they just had new geurnseys made with the sponsor's name on them, now they will have to have them made again, more expense. No
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by countrycousin Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:45 pm

testy1 wrote:
No matter what the reasons for there major sponsor pulling the plug, to do so 1 month out from the start of the season must be a worry for them.
Mentioned in today's paper that they just had new geurnseys made with the sponsor's name on them, now they will have to have them made again, more expense. No
Absolutely. The timing could hardly have been worse. Which does make one suspect that it may have been the culmination of a power struggle. Unfortunately I've seen this sort of thing in the past at my own club. It's damaging at the time, but life goes on and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
countrycousin
countrycousin

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:44 pm

Yes, very true
testy
testy

Back to top Go down

Post by lachlan Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:56 am

For the club to lose their major sponsor so close to the start of the year is a severe disruption to a club who is looking to make the top 5 next year.

I think North's major problem this year will be their forward line. Will Alleway stand up after an interrupted pre-season & will Stewart play all year
lachlan
lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:59 am

I won't dwell on this, but my views on Mr Gerard are on record and this action fits them perfectly.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:14 am

Great write up MP.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:11 pm

redandblack wrote:I won't dwell on this, but my views on Mr Gerard are on record and this action fits them perfectly.
By "them" I assume you mean the NAFC r&b?

It might be coincidental the Gerard pulled the plug on sponsorship soon after Elliot failed to get a place on the board.

Whilst $50k is no small amount to lose, it won't hurt financially, it's more of an inconvenience as shirts, etc have been printed.

Positives from this, Gerard seemed to have a disproportionate amount of influence (remember his blackmail letter to the members a couple of years ago), and we might get to play without some bloody awful sponsors logo splashed across our shirts Very Happy
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Sorry, B, no I meant his actions fitted my views of him.

I have no problem with the NAFC, believe it or not, just a handful of their supporters.

My late mother supported them and some of their past players are among my favourites.

I agree with you about it being better for the future of the club.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Bobbafet wrote:
redandblack wrote:I won't dwell on this, but my views on Mr Gerard are on record and this action fits them perfectly.
By "them" I assume you mean the NAFC r&b?

It might be coincidental the Gerard pulled the plug on sponsorship soon after Elliot failed to get a place on the board.

Whilst $50k is no small amount to lose, it won't hurt financially, it's more of an inconvenience as shirts, etc have been printed.

Positives from this, Gerard seemed to have a disproportionate amount of influence (remember his blackmail letter to the members a couple of years ago), and we might get to play without some bloody awful sponsors logo splashed across our shirts Very Happy

Any interest from KFC or Red Rooster? Laughing
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:38 pm

Red Rooster already have some minor sponsorship at the club I believe so you couldn't rule out them becoming a major sponsor.

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 pm

Alleway on the outer I hear.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down