Adelaide

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 21 of 38 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 29 ... 38  Next

Go down

Adelaide  - Page 21 Empty Re: Adelaide

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:30 am

Interesting article from Rucci today on the heritage of the Adelaide Football Club in it's 25th season:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/as-adelaide-football-club-prepares-to-celebrate-its-25th-anniversary-the-crows-socalled-sanfl-heritage-is-completely-diluted/story-fnia3nqh-1227122021398

I agree ...... and I don't. Laughing

I agree that the Club now has it's own identity and history and is quite separate from the SANFL as an operating body.

I don't agree that that dilutes the Club's heritage. History is history, it doesn't change because of what we do now. The AFC was created by the SANFL to be a South Australian presence in what was becoming the national competition.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:57 am

With my Alberton heritage ( which BTW hits the 100 year mark next year, my Grand-Father was first taken to Alberton Oval by his mates Dad in 1915, my Mum a member since 1950, me since 1980 and my son since 2000 ) I would say that the Adelaide Football Club was the "SANFL" for only a very brief period of time, in fact for just one summer.

Once they took to the field against Hawthorn on that balmy night in 1991, I'd say their heritage began then and since then all that they have taken before them with Premierships, Norm Smiths, Brownlows and the lowlights in draft sanctions, salary cap scandal has been theirs and theirs alone.

The AFL, even back then, was a club competition and remains that way. This "Stave vs State" mentality is no longer a factor in AFL football. Cripes, if it was, I'd want Adelaide as my "second" team....perish the thought. They're equal 17th IMO with all the other sides.

On a side note, how fast can 25 years go? Scary....
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:37 pm

It's all just semantics really IMO.

I'm more interested about the future personally.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Absolutely, it looks bright for both of us.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Booney wrote:Absolutely, it looks bright for both of us.

Agreed. I have a feeling Adelaide Oval will be a place to fear next season (for others, not us!).
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:22 pm

I'd be quite bullish about Adelaide in 2015 if I were you Ginge.

I think Adelaide have one of the most potent forward combinations in the competition, with one of the top half dozen mid fields. My only concern would be the back half and the reliance on Jacobs in the ruck.

I can't see Walsh counting fluffy ducks while things go astray ( not saying Sanderson did ) and I think Adelaide's soft underbelly ( inconsistency ) will be gone next year.

I think they're a top 6-8 side with all going well, going really well ( which probably means Walker kicking 70+ ) they could go beyond that.

( Jacobs permitting )
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Agree with all of that Booney.

I'm very confident about next season personally. We will definitely make finals, there's no way we will miss IMO. Potentially we could even make the top 4 with the draw we have received and if we manage to avoid injuries to key players.

I already want season 2015 to be here to be honest (I'm sure you're the same after your finish!).

This summer is going to be a long one.....

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:56 am

A bit late on this one sorry folks, but you'd have to have been living under a rock yesterday to miss the news that Taylor Walker has signed with the club for another 4 years.

A good statement to the new coach, the playing group, and the players who haven't signed yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if the two more we need will follow before the season commences (Sloane before Christmas, and Dangerfield after is my guess).
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Who?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Booney wrote:Who?

He's just some trundler from the sticks.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:51 pm

A very good start for a new direction.

If they can sign Sloane and Dangerfield, they'll be looking very solid.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:04 pm

Lee wrote:A very good start for a new direction.

If they can sign Sloane and Dangerfield, they'll be looking very solid.

the news promo/clip just shown during a break in the cricket, indicates they are asking Dangerfield about his future etc tonight on the news
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 pm

They will ask and ask and ask and ask until he signs.

If he wants to take his time, then he better be prepared for that.

If he doesn't want to be asked all the time, then sign young man, sign!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:28 am

Discussions were held on 5AA with Van Berlo about where he stands on the Captaincy for next season and he seemed quite happy to make people aware that he is happy enough to relinquish the role if the club requires that of him. Dangerfield, Sloan and Walker were the replacements that were then discussed.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 am

He'll still be captain this coming season I think.

It was clear that we missed his leadership desperately last year.

I was one who thought we would be able to cover him, and now I'm happy to admit I was very wrong. I didn't realise his value until he wasn't there.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:34 am

I have to agree Ginge, I think he is by far the most under rated player at the AFC and I think people judge him on matches he played after coming back in from injury. He is a very talented player and a very good candidate for the captaincy.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:36 am

Yep, I think he'll keep it.

Walsh keeps talking "team" this and "team" that, he'll want a selfless player in the role. VB is it....plus, with all the changes over the summer they'll want some things to remain the same.

I also think Walsh, with his team first philosophy will be questioning if Dangerfield is the bloke in light of the current contract delays.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:11 pm

I can't see Walsh not putting pressure on Dangerfield to sign before the season begins.

As you say Booney, he doesn't seem like the type of bloke who would pander to egos.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:13 pm

For the record though I do think it's fair to let Dangerfield work his way through the preseason before he signs.

He probably only had a couple of proper conversations with Walsh up until this point. I think he has the right to take his time and get a proper feel for Walsh and his direction before signing.

I still think it should be (and will be) done before round 1 though.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:48 pm

I too have a gut fell he will stay....once Walker ( done ) and Sloane sign on then Dangerfields management can ask Adelaide, "So, what's left over?".

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Adelaide Crows zero in on star West Adelaide utility Jonathon Beech at AFL rookie draft

ANDREW CAPEL
   The Advertiser
   November 30, 2014 2:58PM

JONATHON Beech has firmed as a chance to earn a long overdue AFL opportunity, with the Crows saying they “liked what we saw’’ of the 187cm utility at training last week.

West Adelaide’s Beech, 24, has been training with Adelaide in the lead-up to Wednesday’s rookie draft and new coach Phil Walsh said he had impressed on the track and with his off-field maturity.

The strong-marking forward/midfielder has long been admired by Crows champion and current board member Mark Ricciuto and Walsh seems suitably impressed.

“We’ve seen him in the SANFL and we wanted to have a look at him (at training) and we liked what we saw,’’ said Walsh, who spent the weekend travelling to all parts of Australia to meet the four players Adelaide selected at the national draft on Thursday.

“He’s a little bit older of course but we wanted to give him a chance to go against our guys and he’s held his own.

“The thing I like about him is that he’s a bit more of a mature kid and you can have a good conversation with him. We’ll definitely have a close look at him.’’

Beech has been a dominant SANFL player for years and has the X-factor ability to change games.

Hailing from Riverland club Barmera-Monash, he starred in the SANFL’s win against the VFL this year.

The Crows have three rookie spots available after promoting livewire forward Charlie Cameron to the senior list and cutting James Battersby and Alex Spina.

They have re-signed tough defender Jake Kelly as a second-year rookie and retained category B rookie ruckman Jack Osborn.

Adelaide is understood to covet another ruckman in the rookie draft, despite securing 197cm Harry Dear at the national draft. Dear is the son of Hawthorn’s 1991 Norm Smith Medallist Paul Dear.

The Crows have traded for ex-Hawk Luke Lowden but after delisting Angus Graham and Shaun McKernan they are understood to want another mature-aged big man to add depth to that department.

Adelaide has been linked to 206cm VFL ruckman Sam Tagliabue, while Norwood’s dual premiership ruckman Sam Baulderstone will also be considered.

North Ballarat’s Rowan Marshall, 198cm, 205cm Queenslander Braydeon Preuss and giant 210cm Bombers VFL player Angus Milham would also be on Adelaide’s radar.

A host of South Australians overlooked at the draft, headlined by Norwood’s Peter Bampton and North Adelaide’s raw but super-athletic Oleg Markov, will also come under strong consideration as Walsh finalises his first playing list. Adelaide’s four national draftees — Jake Lever, Harrison Wigg, Mitch McGovern and Dear — will start training with the club today.

I've watched Jono since his junior days and have no hesitation in saying his approach to his footy is as professional as anyone I've seen at Westies.

As for his ability, I've long thought he's one of the top talents in the SANFL.

Not often half-forward/utility players win a B & F by a street, but he blitzed West's B & F this year.

Good luck, Beechy.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:01 pm

yep, he's a good player indeed & doesn't miss too many shots at goal whether they be set shots or on the run..........while it is a great opportunity for the lad, i do feel for West because in all likely hood he'll be playing against West at some stage during the year
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:17 am

Tex in the running to be the skipper?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:54 am

That would be a strange appointment, IMO.

Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:14 am

Yes, saw these reports last night.

All we know at this stage is that Van Berlo won't be captain.

I can't see it being Dangerfield simply because he hasn't made a commitment to the Club yet.

That leaves Walker & Sloane - although I would put forward Talia as an ideal candidate. His meticulous preparation and pursuit of personal excellence is well known, and his speech after winning the club champion award last year showed that he's no shirker when it comes to delivering messages that people need to hear.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 38 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 29 ... 38  Next

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum: